Hunting LOS (stop shooting each other) and in general

Started by Euzio, July 08, 2015, 10:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Euzio

Can something be done bout colonists standing within another hunter's LOS whilst hunting and subsequently getting shot... It makes logical sense that when hunting, you don't fire at a target when your buddy is like in between you and the target... you move to ensure you won't end up hitting your buddy. But RW colonists apparently don't seem to care much since they are perfectly fine with shooting from the back of another hunter and given their notoroius aiming, happy to shoot off their buddy's kidneys as well....

One other issue with hunting is that depending on the weapon being used, they can end up taking forever to execute a downed animal because of the accuracy of the weapon at melee range. Which is kinda hilarious really because they can hit from miles away accurately with a sniper rifle but when it comes to moving in and finishing the animal off, they take eons because they will start shooting everywhere but the animal's head....

Mr.Cross

Well, At least you haven't had one of your best shooters (with a sniper) shoot through a wall get a headshot and kill.... another colonist. This was in the middle of a battle too. Oh boy was I happy when that happened...
Claims to know most things.

TLHeart

constant complaints about hunting accidents.... stop hunting with a sniper rifle.  A hunter will never see his buddy standing in his line of sight, as he is focused on the target. It is the buddy that walked into the line of fire, like a dummy.

Want to hunt with more than 1 colonist, then use short range ACCURATE weapons. Shotguns make great hunting weapons, short range with a killing punch, and have a decent touch kill probability also.  Also stop having your trigger happy colonist as hunters, they don't aim, they spray and pray.

As my colonies grow, I have 3, 4, 5 hunters to keep the meat and leather rolling in. I have NEVER had a colonist die from a hunting accident, as I don't hunt with sniper rifles, and I do NOT overlap the work areas with where I am hunting.  I also make sure my colonist have great accuracy, which is NOT just about the 1 to 20 skill level, but includes their health, their eye sight, and their manipulation. All available via the Information icon on the colonist tab. A 10 skill careful shooter with a shot gun will out shoot and hunt a 20 skill with a sniper rifle every time.

Euzio

It doesn't have to be with the sniper rifle. I listed it as a reference to just highlight the extreme. I've had tons of injuries with other weapons like survival rifle and pistols.

I do not overlap work areas either. All my hunting is done at the edges of the map where the animals usually spawn in. The thing is the hunters are often simply standing within each other sights because they only try to shoot the animals from maximum range of their weapons. And since the animals move, they constantly shift their movement as well, thereby making it highly inefficient and results in them moving into other hunters' LOS.

And I still think the fact that they can't finish off an animal that is downed from point blank range is rather ridiculous....

nmid

I haven't used work areas to limit my hunters.. and generally in my 6 man colony, my 2 shooters with rifles are the hunters.
I have had this problem too, stupid colonists.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

JesterBlue

Friendly fire is a part of life, you should get used to it and micro; on hunting however; I believe there should be a range modifier to make the shooter shoot closer from the target; it's anoying to see the hunter try shoot a turtle from across the base in total darkness. Handgun and shot gun is sofar my favourite hunting weapon. Give your hunter a sniper is just asking for it.

zandadoum

regarding LoS... i just lost 4 colonists due a triple rocket that was shout THROUGH the mountain...

had to revert back to previous save, no big deal. but still...

paragonid

People justifying bad AI/settings system and suggesting more microcontrol to solve it look quite baseless patriotic.

Good solution would be:
1) Aggressiveness setting, allowing/disallowing FF situations or it's % (Fallout, X-com Apoc, many other JA-like games)
2) Correct AI response in case of possibility of FF: similar to no LOS path-searching or waiting

JimmyAgnt007

Having fired actual weapons myself I can say that it is rather stupid to suggest not using a sniper rifle.  Any shooter knows to check their surroundings.  Also its the responsibility of the other person to not enter their field of fire. 

Yes, hunting ascendents happen but usually when someone misfires or the shot travels through the brush to someone who couldnt be seen.  Neither are the case when hunting in Rimworld.  So yea even taking out those primary causes, friendly fire happens, but not on the high frequency that it does in game. 

Raiders know to avoid turrets so applying the same logic of some sort to hunting would be handy.  Also some kind of recheck in the case of when the prey moves and so does the hunters facing. 

A quick and dirty way of handling it would be to simply tell the pawns to ignore the hit if it was fired while hunting.  Combat I see being much more likely to hit a friend.

Either way, suggesting that people not use weapons for hunting that were designed to hunt is not a solution.  I get plenty of friendly fire with shotguns and everything else.  Not saying it should be eliminated but drastically reduced. 

Euzio

^exactly

While I've never hunted before in real life. Its fairly understandable that a person would choose to take a sniper rifle over a shotgun when it comes to hunting. You get more range, a scope, and ability to take down an animal beyond its sight so that it doesn't turn on you. However, the mechanics now makes it such that you're better off using a gun with short range just so that you won't have to deal with your hunters shooting each other. But you end up exposing yourself to the potential threat of the animals going berserk on you...

JesterBlue

Just use shot gun guys, it's the actual hunting weapon, ot the rifle. Trying to snipe a bunny from across the map is overkill, slow and dangerous. Or just go commando against squirrel, you can't go wrong with that.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: JesterBlue on July 16, 2015, 03:00:40 AM
Just use shot gun guys, it's the actual hunting weapon, ot the rifle. Trying to snipe a bunny from across the map is overkill, slow and dangerous. Or just go commando against squirrel, you can't go wrong with that.

Except when said bunny kills your commando going colonist...
Claims to know most things.