water as a semi rare resource

Started by salt1219, October 07, 2013, 05:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pax_Empyrean

Ok, upgrading from "probably a moron" to "definitely a moron." The fact that the stickied post is old and you've just wandered in fresh and clueless doesn't mean it does not apply to you, and it sure as hell didn't tell you to necro a thread that's been dead for six months so you can talk about how great this discussed-to-death idea would be.

Lightzy

This idea is so obvious that of course you gotta +1 it.

Water is so good for so many things..
Most especially, elaborate and artistic hydro-engineering.

Creating a moat around your colony
Creating a lever-controlled moat around your colony that flushes undesirables :)
Helping putting out fires
Irrigation of fields (lever/controlled water channels a-la DF possibly)
Cleanliness rating for pawns, affecting disease development/mood
Water freezing into slippery ice on a harsh winter
Ice sculptures to make that freezer a little more fun, fun stuff in ice-sheet starts.
Swimming to cool off / have fun
Pool parties!
But... Crocodiles :(

etc etc

Large lakes/rivers that prevent you getting to areas on the map, so you need to build canoes. Can be used to fish on good spots if not accessible on foot)

FullMetalPant

Quote from: Lightzy on August 21, 2016, 04:43:08 AM
This idea is so obvious that of course you gotta +1 it.

Water is so good for so many things..
Most especially, elaborate and artistic hydro-engineering.

Creating a mote around your colony
Creating a lever-controlled mote around your colony that flushes undesirables :)
Helping putting out fires
Irrigation of fields (lever/controlled water channels a-la DF possibly)
Cleanliness rating for pawns, affecting disease development/mood
Water freezing into slippery ice on a harsh winter
Ice sculptures to make that freezer a little more fun, fun stuff in ice-sheet starts.
Swimming to cool off / have fun
Pool parties!
But... Crocodiles :(

etc etc

Large lakes/rivers that prevent you getting to areas on the map, so you need to build canoes. Can be used to fish on good spots if not accessible on foot)

Yes it open a whole lots of possibilities, I like them all, but no need to make it over complicated at first. You have few crops, then people modded the game to have mores. You have few use for electricity, then people modded to have more use to it. You have a combat system, then people modded it to their taste. I would really like to see water to be implemented in some way. I think a limit should be put thought to not affect the game performance on the vanilla release. Keep it simple. :)

Maybe it could be modded, I don't know. I am just a new user from steam, the game got a lot of attention and positive review, and I really like the game. I don't see what is so terrible the get this discussion going again, this is not a total non sense topic. I don't see anywhere here that water is out of question and the idea should die forever.

Anyhow this is a design choice, but the game still evolve. Who knows.

Pax_Empyrean

You brought this shit up from a dead thread. Six fucking months it was dead. This has been discussed over, and over, and over again and it's not going to happen. You are pushing other suggestions off the front page so you can beat this dead horse, so yeah, you are polluting the forum.

FullMetalPant

So I have delete all my non constructive argumentation I invite some to do the same to keep this thread clean and still alive.

I think the purpose of it is to encourage people to use this thread instead of creating new one. There is a whole bunch of new players around since the steam release, so necroing dead horse from pre steam release may happen, better that it happen here. And anyway, water management would still be an awesome feature to add to this game. :)

Lightzy

Don't mind the forum nazis. They run around contributing nothing except annoyance to the actually creative people who have actual suggestions.

I would suggest to them to post suggestions if they have any, and not post at all if they don't.

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: FullMetalPant on August 21, 2016, 06:56:15 AM
So I have delete all my non constructive argumentation I invite some to do the same to keep this thread clean and still alive.
No, it fucking isn't. The horse is dead. This isn't going to happen, and the purpose of the Frequent Suggestions sticky is not to encourage discussion of shit that is not going to happen, but rather to discourage it entirely.

Quote from: FullMetalPant on August 21, 2016, 06:56:15 AMI think the purpose of it is to encourage people to use this thread
Wrong. And necroing a thread that's six months dead isn't kosher pretty much anywhere.

Quote from: FullMetalPant on August 21, 2016, 06:56:15 AMThere is a whole bunch of new players around since the steam release, so necroing dead horse from pre steam release may happen, better that it happen here.
Postulating the existence of other dipshits who don't read the sticky doesn't excuse you from acting like one yourself. You are beating a dead horse. Do you have no clue what that even means, or what?

Quote from: Lightzy on August 21, 2016, 07:20:42 AM
Don't mind the forum nazis. They run around contributing nothing except annoyance to the actually creative people who have actual suggestions.

I would suggest to them to post suggestions if they have any, and not post at all if they don't.
My suggestions have always been better than yours, dumbass. You still haven't gone off to prove that alcohol lets you survive freezing temperatures, as you claimed before. Go do that.

We do not tolerate this kind of treatment of our members.  Pax_Empyrean is now on a brief vacation from the RimWorld community forums and will hopefully return wiser and more constructive.

See forum rules here:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=122.0

1. No personal attacks
2. Sustained hostility or anger venting
3. Do not sustain flamewars
17. Mods enforce these rules only

As always, use the Report Post button if you see anything wrong and don't attack our forum members!

Pax_Empyrean

Triple posting isn't kosher either. Have you never been on a forum before?

FullMetalPant

Can we just agree to disagree and move on. Insulting people isnt kosher either. This discussion lead nowhere, I just wanted to tell ludeon how much I would like to see water system and what I think it would bring to the game. They won't do it.. alright. But sorry dude I won't take your word for it. Who knows, now that things are rolling and they are on steam best sellers, that open the valve for more budget to work on new feature. They talk about small little suggestion that take 4 hours to do, and I fully agree with that, it really can push the game into great place. Adding a whole new system like water management would make possible a ton of new 4 hours new little suggestions.

Pax_Empyrean

Modeling water is not even remotely easy to do and can get really resource intensive if you do anything even sort of realistic with it (see: Dwarf Fortress). If you're looking for easy to implement suggestions, which we should be, water is not one of those things.

We could have avoided all this shit if you hadn't insisted on doubling down after reviving a long dead thread and ignoring the sticky listing the stuff that has been discussed to death and isn't going to happen.

FullMetalPant

Well the way I imagine water system is fairly simple. Almost a copy paste of the electricity system. No need to go much further than this and model dynamic water. You pump water to feed water working device just like you pump electricity to feed electricity device.

I wouldn't propose something remotely impossible to achieve. It came from the idea to implement a water distribution system that would work like the electric system. Because a plumbing system work pretty much the same as an electric system.

A little challenging, but no need to make tides and all that stuff. Keep it simple. You put water pump on hole similar to geothermal holes. Water collector working like solar panels.. They don't have to start from scratch, they work on something that already exist and modify it.

And that is still not what I read on that sticky. What i read is that they are the most frequent asked suggestion that arent likely to be implemented, and that there is link to thread about those suggestion to go read and leave a comment there. Or else couldnt they just close the thread to new comments?

milon

Quote from: FullMetalPant on August 21, 2016, 07:28:30 AM
dude...

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=447.0

Thanks

Read rule #10.  ;)

FYI, that was an old quote.  I updated it, and the official rules will always be found here:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=122.0

Note that the last rule is "Mods enforce these rules only".  So if you see someone violating the rules, use the Report Post button.

Anyway, you were right to post in this thread.  We have no forum rules against "necro posting" (although we may lovingly tease those who do it).  We in fact have a rule (#9) that says to use the forum Search feature to find a relevant discussion and post there.  So thank you for doing that.  And thanks for removing whatever was off-topic before.

I now return you all to your regularly scheduled on-topic discussion of water as a resource!

eadras

Water systems were one of the things I was hoping to see implemented.  But I'm new to the game and it seems it's already been decided not to go that route.  That's fine, the game is fun without it, but for me the lack of water makes playing on desert maps pretty absurd, so I won't be playing them.  Plenty of other fun biomes to enjoy.

FullMetalPant

Quote from: milon on August 21, 2016, 08:39:15 AM
Read rule #10.  ;)

:-[ Sorry, I am pretty new to this forum (I am pretty new on any forum at all). I shall stay respectful to the rules and other users, and also use the report post button if I encounter a situation like this again, before it escalate. Thanks for your patience.

Quote from: eadras on August 21, 2016, 09:07:16 AM
Water systems were one of the things I was hoping to see implemented.  But I'm new to the game and it seems it's already been decided not to go that route.  That's fine, the game is fun without it, but for me the lack of water makes playing on desert maps pretty absurd, so I won't be playing them.  Plenty of other fun biomes to enjoy.

I totally agree about the game to be tons of fun without it, but that is the first thing that come to my mind as an improvement that would take the game a step further and open lots of possibilities. Note that I have no knowledge with writing code, so I talk about things I don't really know, but I imagine something fairly simple using a system almost identical to electricity. As I could read, the best change and update come from using an existing feature and modify it.

Maybe someone will mod it at some point. I shall ask on the mod forum what kind of work it could represent to use the electric system to create a water system similar to it working in parallel, and adding a water variable to the mood, health, and to grow crop. Sure sound like lot of work though, but not as much as creating a water system like dwarf fortress and making a realistic fluid physic on large scale to the whole world.

blub01

Quote from: FullMetalPant on August 21, 2016, 09:33:29 AM
Quote from: milon on August 21, 2016, 08:39:15 AM
Read rule #10.  ;)

:-[ Sorry, I am pretty new to this forum (I am pretty new on any forum at all). I shall stay respectful to the rules and other users, and also use the report post button if I encounter a situation like this again, before it escalate. Thanks for your patience.

Quote from: eadras on August 21, 2016, 09:07:16 AM

I totally agree about the game to be tons of fun without it, but that is the first thing that come to my mind as an improvement that would take the game a step further and open lots of possibilities. Note that I have no knowledge with writing code, so I talk about things I don't really know, but I imagine something fairly simple using a system almost identical to electricity. As I could read, the best change and update come from using an existing feature and modify it.

Maybe someone will mod it at some point. I shall ask on the mod forum what kind of work it could represent to use the electric system to create a water system similar to it working in parallel, and adding a water variable to the mood, health, and to grow crop. Sure sound like lot of work though, but not as much as creating a water system like dwarf fortress and making a realistic fluid physic on large scale to the whole world.

implementing water like electricity seems like a good idea, although I would suggest to have an item colonists consume, too. so you'd have some kind of manual well in the early game, or just get water from a lake or river, and later on get an electric well (or maybe one using muffalos?), and then you use water pipes to supply stuff like a water dispenser, toilet, sink, etc. with water.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.