water as a semi rare resource

Started by salt1219, October 07, 2013, 05:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reaver00

I like the water idea, but I got to thinking. This is water on an alien planet.  You have no idea what's in it. Not only could it have disease and parasites in it, but it could be incredibly toxic from metal contamination.

I like the idea of atmospheric condensers. It could open up new challenges on, say, a desert planet biome. 

British

Quote from: Reaver00 on October 21, 2013, 05:11:17 AM
I like the water idea, but I got to thinking. This is water on an alien planet.  You have no idea what's in it. Not only could it have disease and parasites in it, but it could be incredibly toxic from metal contamination.
Nothing a few filters can't solve.

nnescio

Quote from: British on October 21, 2013, 05:36:32 AM

Or distillation. Solar stills are pretty much low-tech.

Sliverine

I really like this idea of water as a resource. I'm not asking for dwarf fortress like fluid mechanics or stuff like that, I was thinking more along the lines of simple things like fire extinguishers or fire sprinklers which we can build throughout the base that would require water to run.

After more then a few play-throughs, one of the best things that can probably happen to you is the weather turns to rain when your turrets catch fire during a firefight.

Reaver00

Quote from: British on October 21, 2013, 05:36:32 AM

If that were true, then water contamination in areas like West Virginia where they do fracking wouldn't be an issue. Instead, people have filtered water coming through the tap that is flammable.

British

You might have been mistaking RimWorld with some kind of real-life simulator...

We're talking about a world where people that might have no technical knowledge whatsoever are able to construct walls, power generators, turrets, beds... all of this out of mere scrapped metal.
So please don't expect believability too be too high.

Reaver00

Quote from: British on October 23, 2013, 03:34:34 AM
You might have been mistaking RimWorld with some kind of real-life simulator...

We're talking about a world where people that might have no technical knowledge whatsoever are able to construct walls, power generators, turrets, beds... all of this out of mere scrapped metal.
So please don't expect believability too be too high.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting a super realistic mechanic. I was just suggesting that perhaps water shouldn't always be readily clean or available through a well or something.  World generation could include different types of water sources and each one would present different challenges to the survival of your colonists.  There is a realistic precedent for water to need to be processed before being able to safely drink it.

I envision that having moisture farms could work in the beginning, taking water from the moisture in the air, but as your colony grows, your water needs surpass the capabilities of the moisture farms.  Therefore, you will need find larger water sources, presenting the challenges I mentioned. 

Aerouge

Here some ideas towards this topic I´ve come up with.
Some were already present in this topic, so if some ideas are already present here, consider those supported by me ;-)

1) Have colonists need water (like food now) to be able to survive.
2) Have several ways of aquiring water with different effects
2.a.) Collect rainwater (only works outside, can suffer from long periods without rain (droughts))
2.b.) "Recycled" water (think of the opening scene of the movie "Waterworld" ;-) ) Needs energy and gives a huge minus on loyality (nutrient paste and "recycled" water can lead to tantrums, especially if the colonists get different characters (A pirate should be fine with these rations, but a medival lord, living from P&P (Paste and Piss) should go berserk soon)
2.c.) Watering holes, used by wildlife... "Sure you can drink from the pond, just take care of the 2-Headed-Shark" ;-)
3) Have to use Water for agriculture. Just like the indoor-plants dieing when you switch off the sunlamps have them wither when the farmers dont water them enough.
4) Have some "loyality" influence based on "waterobjects" / hygiene. "Enjoyed a long bath", "Took a shower recently", "Dropped the soap in the men´s shower :-(" (From positive to negative effects).
5) Maybe re-route rivers for moats as a defensive measure? (And fill this moat with 2-headed sharks!)

letheus

maybe, how about underground caves filled with water?
they could do two things: a) if you dig into them, they might flood your caves, )but then again you could dig an extra draining tunnel) and b) they supply you with water

also you could cross them with tiny boats, and they could house fancy things, like creatures or crystals, so they would be an interesting feature...

Semmy

Quote from: letheus on October 29, 2013, 07:17:49 AM
maybe, how about underground caves filled with water?
they could do two things: a) if you dig into them, they might flood your caves, )but then again you could dig an extra draining tunnel) and b) they supply you with water

also you could cross them with tiny boats, and they could house fancy things, like creatures or crystals, so they would be an interesting feature...

I fear that for this future one needs z-levels. And since those won't come any time soon if they come at all.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Raufgar

I read through this entire post and I agree with the need for a semi-realistic implementation of water in-game. Would humbly suggest testing the different aspects incrementally:

1) Implementation - have water generated via mechanical means, like the atmospheric condensers OP mentioned. This can be collected from via plumbing i.e. make it similar to solar panels and thermal generators. Simple to implement, and a good test for the uses of water and how people would make use of it.

2) Adjustments - increase the mediums of water collection to include from cacti, which are already present on the map. Implement water as a collectable resource, like metal and food, which would open it up for trade. Instead of going directly to rooms, like power, plumbing must now lead to a storage unit, much like a stockpile. When eating, colonists will visit this storage unit as well as the paste dispenser. Possible to implement water needs for colonist alongside food needs as well.

3)  Advancements - Introduce standing and/or flowing water to the map, with care taken to ensure spawning restricted by codified set of rules (i.e. spawning locations <would suggest outside only until cave-ins are sorted out>, quantity and quality and border bounding). Increase collection mediums to include high tech and low tech alternatives. Implement filtration systems. Implement condensation and evaporation. Implement waterborne illnesses and cures. Implement rationing mechanisms.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

...and I am amazed that no one mentioned "I am fluent in 6 millions forms of communication" or even "What I need is a droid who can communicate in the binary language of moisture vaporators".
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Voltronguy

i rly want water mkanagement like dwarf fortress pls

AnarchOi

I love the idea of water in the game, I dont think it needs to be too complicated possibly functioning the same as electricity where you place a water pump on a water source and you pipe it throughout your colony. As mentioned it can be used for showers, toilets, sprinkler system, etc. to improve colonist happiness and fire prevention.

Another idea that builds off of it is that the water source is semi far from your base and be a point of interest in which raiders will go over and destroy, disrupt, or capture the water pump so to protect it you'll have to set up some sort of forward base of operations like a mini base to keep it secure, and itll also offer an opportunity for some offensive action. For example if raiders control the water pump you have to send a group of colonist to go and attack them to get back control.

peppie

I think water has always done very well as a factor in anything post apocalyptic/desert related stories. Itd be a missed chance leaving it out. It should be a finite resource (wells?) until tech is researched that can extract water from the environment.

Somehow Dune's windtraps come to mind :D

yabbadabbado

id love this like peppie said, post apoc maps, or what have you!