Toxic Fallout

Started by Darkhymn, January 27, 2016, 03:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkhymn

How long does this thing last? I've had it going for nearly two months. It has killed all of the wildlife on the map in the middle of the winter, the whole map is on fire from all of the boomrats and boomalopes exploding, so now I have a map devoid of any life whatsoever. No plants, no animals, and it's the middle of a long (first) winter, so I can't grow crops. I don't think I've ever had a colony fail so quickly, and certainly not go from thriving to dead because of one event!

Shurp

Toxic fallout is a seriously OP event, usually the best thing to do is just load the autosave and try again.

But if you are determined to survive one, you have to move your farms indoors.  Advanced players generally consider toxic fallout easy to deal with because they are playing on tundra/ice maps where their farms are already indoors anyway.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Toggle

You really just have to be prepared to quickly set up an indoor farm, some lights and a heater if too cold, wall in a section or even your whole normal farm. If you have enough food in stockpile plus farm space to keep you alive till till it ends, isn't too bad.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Darkhymn

I managed to get through it, I just wasn't prepared for an event that suddenly wiped out all wildlife on the map during a time period in which I was relying on hunting to compliment my stockpile. I slaughtered some of my tame animals to make it through until I got a trader carrying some food. I had just never seen the event before, and between that and repeated mechanoid raids in my first year, I decided that Cassie hates me.

Grimandevil

Quote from: Darkhymn on January 27, 2016, 11:12:06 PM
I just wasn't prepared for an event that suddenly wiped out all wildlife on the map during a time period in which I was relying on hunting to compliment my stockpile.
since them critters gonna die in any way, its best to grab all big ones, so u'll have plenty of meat. Dont be afraid to go outside a little, the sickness will wear off.
u can always try fishing, where hunting fails.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

TLHeart

Toxic fallout is a non event, unless it hits you within the first 6 months... before you have built up some food stockpiles. After that, It is a who cares event...

Darkhymn

Quote from: TLHeart on January 28, 2016, 11:01:02 AM
Toxic fallout is a non event, unless it hits you within the first 6 months... before you have built up some food stockpiles. After that, It is a who cares event...
It hit me in the first 9 months, and lasted nearly 3 months. It would have been fine if I had realized initially that the fallout is basically harmless and that colonists can be in it for days before it gets dangerous, and that is would last for months. However, I assumed that it was actually dangerous and that it would last maybe a few days. I spent the initial month and a half inside, watching all of the food die and the entire map burn. Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't even bother to change colonist behavior, as it could hit on the first day and not have a serious effect on survivability so long as you could get refrigeration going before all of the animals on the map die. As it is, all I really lost was a small herd of tame Muffalo and some silver.

Grimandevil

would be nice if some apparel actually protected the wearer.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

w00d

my problem is that is it boring. Essentially if it hits you when you start out within the first months, you restart. If not you sit around bored as hell and hope some mechanoids come and finish you off as you do nothing except mine and sleep and literally watch plants grow in hydroponics. Is there a way to turn it off ?

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: w00d on February 01, 2016, 07:43:32 AM
you do nothing except mine and sleep and literally watch plants grow in hydroponics.

Yep! That's what I do! Toxic fallout or not!

I mean, come on! Boring? What? You hardly have to do anything differently. Unless your map happens to be in the greenest of zones, and you grow everything outside. Then you construct roofs or watch your plants die.

Other than that, it really shouldn't matter.
Wildlife dies? Duh.
Wild animals don't reproduce anyway, it's not like you can live off them all the time. They can die.
Wild plants are scattered, it's easier to grow than to run around the map for an uncertain amount of food. They can die.
Trees could be the biggest problem, but easily manageable: you can grow trees, so they too can die.
Colonists can spend a day outside, no danger.

What makes it oh so boring?

Bendigeidfran

I quite like it. I'm tempted to mod in a craftable hazmat suit and bump up the difficulty of the event. That seems pretty fun to me.

Darkhymn

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on February 01, 2016, 10:08:30 PM
Quote from: w00d on February 01, 2016, 07:43:32 AM
you do nothing except mine and sleep and literally watch plants grow in hydroponics.

Yep! That's what I do! Toxic fallout or not!

I mean, come on! Boring? What? You hardly have to do anything differently. Unless your map happens to be in the greenest of zones, and you grow everything outside. Then you construct roofs or watch your plants die.

Other than that, it really shouldn't matter.
Wildlife dies? Duh.
Wild animals don't reproduce anyway, it's not like you can live off them all the time. They can die.
Wild plants are scattered, it's easier to grow than to run around the map for an uncertain amount of food. They can die.
Trees could be the biggest problem, but easily manageable: you can grow trees, so they too can die.
Colonists can spend a day outside, no danger.

What makes it oh so boring?

It would be most boring if it was actually dangerous and you got it early. I specifically thought it was boring as hell until I realized I could go out in it without any detrimental effects for the first few days. It would probably be a death sentence in the earlier game if you weren't just being dwarves, but I find there's very little incentive to play on non-mountainous maps.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Darkhymn on February 01, 2016, 10:33:13 PM

It would be most boring if it was actually dangerous and you got it early. I specifically thought it was boring as hell until I realized I could go out in it without any detrimental effects for the first few days. It would probably be a death sentence in the earlier game if you weren't just being dwarves, but I find there's very little incentive to play on non-mountainous maps.

No need to be a dwarf to shrug this event off like it's nothing.
Toxic fallout is like snow or rain -that kills.

What you need to survive this are roofs above, and that only.

And not really, I could take a toxic fallout on after ~5-10 days;
wood walls, or if there isn't much of that,
research stonecutting, then build stone walls.
There are plenty of chunks on the map. On any map.