Custom Research Tree - Original paths?

Started by DaemonDeathAngel, July 11, 2015, 12:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaemonDeathAngel

So, I have been looking at a couple mods coding that rework the research tree, but I am unsure how to make it to where the vanilla items use a different (or new, if not assigned one) research. Is there anyway someone could tell me if my assumption about being able to do the directly I XML is correct or not? And if I am correct, how do I find the original paths to the items/structures?

After re-reading what I originally typed, I realized that my thoughts didn't make as much sense typed out as they did in my head. So let's try this again.

My question, simply put, is it possible to set the vanilla items to require a custom Research prerequisite?

If it is possible, how is it done? My mind tells me that it's perfectly viable to believe it can be done in an XML file, if you know the original path and information that the vanilla item uses. Then simply changing it to where it requires a specific prerequisite. Is that correct, or does this require .dll work in C# to be done correctly?

Also, if I am correct about the ability to use an XML file, how do I find what the original information of the item/structure is?

skullywag

Yep, copy the thingdef file from core to your mod directory and remove all the other thingdefs you dont want to mess with from it. Now add the:

<researchPrerequisite>ResearchDefName</researchPrerequisite>

Add your new researchdef to the mod using the name you used above.

done.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

DaemonDeathAngel

So, I was right, and not a complete idiot after all. That's a plus.