Animal Taming General Thread. Post your opinions, information, and ideas here!

Started by Toggle, July 11, 2015, 12:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How you feel about animal taming

I like the new features.
I dislike the new features.
I somewhat like the new features but want them implemented differently.
I don't know yet until more changes come out.

Toggle

I just felt like making a general thread, if it's even in my power as a Wandering Merchant and ludeon colonist. If you want to post about information for the new animal taming updates but don't want to have a whole new thread for it, put it here. For those that missed out, animal taming is a feature recently shown in the Tynan work logs as of July 6th. Post your opinions and ideas on the changelog updates, and I hope the post is useful. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ma3kFSDZHA4aE_7SSw8CyKCccWF4Dfj0KDQ_A8UB-hI/pub

July 6th

• Added animal handler WorkType.
  • Animal handlers can slaughter tame animals.
  • Tame animals respect their allowed areas if they have them.
  • Added nuzzle: Animal approaches colonist and nuzzles him, giving him a happy memory. Different animals do this with different frequencies, and have different "nuzzle powers" which change their mood impact.
  • Traders carry tame animals and you can purchase them. Exotic traders carry few exotic animals, while bulk goods traders carry many prosaic animals.
July 7th

• You can sell your tame animals.
  • Appropriate tame female animals are milkable and your colonists will periodically milk them to yield milk, a raw food resource.
  • Female animals can be pregnant and give birth.
  • Male animals sometimes approach nearby female animals and mate with them. This can make them pregnant.
July 10th

• Wild animals can be tamed by designating it so. As with prisoners, handler 'speaks' with the animal and has a chance of taming it every attempt. This is related to the handler's social skill, stats, and the animal's natural wildness. You can only try to tame an animal every so often.
July 11th

• Added a new overview tab to assign animal areas.
  • Separated animal allowed areas and humanlike allowed areas.
July 14th

• Colonists use food to tame animals..
  • Some kinds of animals get names upon being tamed

The list skips out some features that aren't important, as they can still be seen in the logs. It's just more for the animal updates that effect you. I'll update if the thread is used with new features.

So essentially, what we have is you can tame animals using food which makes them animal colonists. You can in-prison(Unknown how they would exactly be imprisoned) them and try to tame them (Recruit them), you can slaughter them for resources, you can milk them for raw milk as a resource. There's also a new skill for taming animals, and animals also give different amounts of resources at different ages, along with acting different. Humans are unlikely to have babies and Tynan has addressed us specifically saying no, we cannot milk our colonists. We also control the animals by using the "Allowed Areas", which they will respect and stay in.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Cimanyd

Reading those again... you can buy and sell animals, does that mean you could use animals as a way to make money? Either by taming wild animals that happen to be around and selling them, or long-term, having enough to breed and sell the children (when they're old enough to be sold, if necessary). Maybe even buying a male and female expensive, exotic animal and having them breed to sell the children.

Based on the similarities between the animal and human recruiting and trading systems, I think we should start calling slaves "tame humans." :D (and colonists too, for that matter)

Lastly, since this is a more on-topic place to put this than the changelog thread:
I know ordering animals to move to a specific location, like colonists, is probably unrealistic... but come on, Tynan, can't I be able to send a small army of boomrats into a siege? You'll have trouble bombarding my colony when your mortars are on fire, your food is on fire, and you are on fire!
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Toggle

Quote from: Cimanyd on July 11, 2015, 01:53:28 AM
Reading those again... you can buy and sell animals, does that mean you could use animals as a way to make money? Either by taming wild animals that happen to be around and selling them, or long-term, having enough to breed and sell the children (when they're old enough to be sold, if necessary). Maybe even buying a male and female expensive, exotic animal and having them breed to sell the children.

Based on the similarities between the animal and human recruiting and trading systems, I think we should start calling slaves "tame humans." :D (and colonists too, for that matter)

Lastly, since this is a more on-topic place to put this than the changelog thread:
I know ordering animals to move to a specific location, like colonists, is probably unrealistic... but come on, Tynan, can't I be able to send a small army of boomrats into a siege? You'll have trouble bombarding my colony when your mortars are on fire, your food is on fire, and you are on fire!

You can for sure use animals to make money, as tamed animals can be slaughtered, you can milk a certain kind and likely sell the resource or whatever you make from it, although I'm not sure about selling animals (Just because they'd need to be inside a trade beacon and they wander around so).

For the second part, yeah we can just guess how the animals move for now, I'm gonna guess a person owns the animal once he/she tames it, and there's likely a sort of flag location or something (What I imagine is a game, I know it's from one I forget though, where you put down a flag for troops to go to). Then the animals would go around that area. I have no idea though. There may also be just pens for em, which would mean you can't direct them.

A Friend

Allow me to strap IEDs on them.

What? I know you all want to do this too.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Rahjital

The thing I want to see the most is beasts of burden. Well, that and animal training. Having tamed wargs hunt on their own and bring the spoils back to your stockpiles would be pretty cool. And also animal adopting, having a personal bodyguard rhino for the most important colonists... damn it, there's so many features that could be added here.

Aristocat

It would be cool if we can force prisoners to pregnant and eat babies or just eat them when they are fat! Extra meat!

Kegereneku

"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

killer117

Hahahaha totally true. Id like to see armoured animals. Like i get attacked by some mechanoids, i beat them, then i have thier corpses, and i use one of the dead centerpedes as my new set of muffalo amour, maybe can use sythers as same for people or other animals, and if they add something like the crawler from the more mechanoids mod, we could use those as makeshift warg armour
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Tynan

I voted "I don't know yet until more changes come out." :p

Also, you can milk lots of animals besides muffalo! Camel milk, for example is a major food source for people in some areas of the world.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Toggle

Quote from: Tynan on July 11, 2015, 01:45:03 PM
I voted "I don't know yet until more changes come out." :p

Also, you can milk lots of animals besides muffalo! Camel milk, for example is a major food source for people in some areas of the world.

Ah. That was just the only one I could think of at the time, and I guess I'm a bit limited with biomes as I haven't even seen a camel xD

skullywag

I am NOT milking a rhino....also you could milk a cobra, for venom, soooo modding venom tipped tribal weapons (calls DIBS).
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

TLHeart

you can milk wild boars also. Now we just need goats in the game, nothing like a fermented goats milk to get your day started.

Goes down smooth, and kicks like a billygoat.

Toggle

So allowed areas is likely how we'll control the animals. Oh look, some seigers. Hey tamed boomrats, your allowed area is now over there. Snippy the sniper, why don't you just aim a bit over at that boomrat and... *BOOM*

LordShotGun

Dwarf fortress already has a lot of the conceptual ground work already done for what I hope/expect from this update. Hopefully we can train war animals and assign them as meatshields companions for particularly valuable colonists.

I would like to be able to see how pregnant a particular animal is in the information tab so as to know when to expect new babies.

I hope that wild animals have a chance for spawning as pregnant, perhaps at a higher rate during specific seasons since most animals had offspring in the spring/summer months. Have younger animals be more susceptible to training/imprinting (can't teach an old dog new tricks after all).

Cheese and butter making, milk drinking, cooking specific items related to both items. Perhaps have some difficult or expensive to make items like cakes, pies, or cookies that can increase mood.

Animal husbandry for healing any stray gun shot wounds (increase your shooting AND doctor skills!)

Tumuel