change cryptosleep behaviour towards psycological effects

Started by zandadoum, July 11, 2015, 08:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zandadoum

Hello,

I noticed some stuff that doesn't make much sense to me:

- i want to kill a prisoner. but one of my colonists is extremely sensitive to this stuff, so i decide to put him into cryptosleep before.
even being in cryptosleep, he gets -XX because i killed a prisoner. if he was in cryptosleep, how is he suposed to know that i killed a prisoner?
yeah, somone could tell him once he comes out of cryptosleep, but 1) he is not out yet 2) the -XX effect is not the same when somebody tells you something or when you saw yourself

- another thing that doesn't make sense to me, similar situation i just tried today:
i thought, "ok, so i can't avoid that sensible guy to get -XX let me put him into cryptosleep to sleep his rage off"
this doesn't work either... while everyone else had the -XX gone after a week, when i opened the crytposleep, that one sensible guy still had -XX for 7.4 days.

so... i think this should be changed.
if you are in cryptosleep, NOTHING that happens outside should affect you. you should keep current -XX debuffs you had before entering crypto, with the same remaining days, but you should not be affected by anything that happens outside of it for the duration of your sleep.

yes, people will use cryptosleep for exactly the same reason i tried to use it: to avoid negative effects of stuff like exectuing prisoners, but you could make the cryptosleep sickness a bit harsher to compensate

Kegereneku

I fail to understand how it can not make sense to you.

Not being in the colony when a murder is committed don't make it not have happened.
You are basically asking other colonists to lie to him and pretend the killed prisoner just left/died of maladydisease (stupid non transparent word !). Although possible realistically, so is possible that they simply can't hide it or do not want to lies to a fellow colonist.

Then a Cryptosleep casket is meant to keep someone in the very same state he entered it. As if time didn't last. If the event is worth a week of 'rage', the cryptosleeping colonist will not forget it because for him it will be as if no time went by.
There's a risk of thing stacking up for long duration but it's realist, how would you react if you woke up and heard/saw your HOME turned into a human-meat processing factory.

So the best I can suggest is to diminish the force of the events based on how long the colonist stayed in Cryptosleep. So to have a colonist don't care/learn about an event you'll have to let him in cryptosleep for a very long period. No freeze-him Kill Unfreeze-him.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

zandadoum

Quote from: Kegereneku on July 11, 2015, 08:52:44 AM
Not being in the colony when a murder is committed don't make it not have happened.
You are basically asking other colonists to lie to him and pretend the killed prisoner just left/died of malady. Although possible realistically, so is possible that they simply can't hide it or do not want to lies to a fellow colonist.
is it the same for people being hunted down and killed in Syria than it is to you, tausends of KM away and just "hearing" of those event?
ofc it isnt'

so why is the negative effect the same when the colonist was in cryptosleep for a month and they tell him "oh btw, we killed a guy 2 weeks ago".
doesn't make sense.

Then a Cryptosleep casket is meant to keep someone in the very same state he entered it.
As if time didn't last. If the event is worth a week of 'rage', the cryptosleeping colonist will not forget it because for him it will be as if no time went by.
There's a risk of thing stacking up for long duration but it's realist, how would you react if you woke up and heard/saw your HOME turned into a human-meat processing factory.

So the best I can suggest is to diminish the force of the events based on how long the colonist stayed in Cryptosleep. So to have a colonist don't care/learn about an event you'll have to let him in cryptosleep for a very long period. No freeze-him Kill Unfreeze-him.

sorry. it doesn't make any sense. even more so: crypto caskets in the current situation are utterly and completely useless..

you put a guy inside to prevent him from going mad: you're screwed
you have one already inside when something happens: you're screwed
you have someone mad and want things to calm down, so you put him inside: you're screwed

you put a guy inside before killing a prisoner. he had 0 negative effects at that point. you kill the prisoner, everyone gets a negative effect for some days (lets say a week) ... after a month you pull the guy out of the crypto and he has the negative effect for one week.

makes
no
sense

if he can GAIN a negative effect while being in crypto, he should also LOSE it while being in crypto. if his fellow colonists forgot about the killing in 1 week, i don't see why they should tell HIM once he got out.

there is no reason WHATSOEVER to use cryptosleep caskets right now, except for nostalgic value if you want so save that poor granny that went cataract and senile and lost 2 legs and you're waiting to build the starship. which BTW not a single person i know actually does, because everyone just prefers to keep growing the colony forever.

Kegereneku

Okay, I won't bother questioning your logic, I'll simply add what I would consider an improvement :
- Cryptosleep logically preserve fully any mood buff/debuff that happened before going in.
- But new mood-buff/debuff happening during Cryptosleep is applied in a diminished way proportional to the time spent since the event.
-------
Write an Event

DaemonDeathAngel

My real question is, and you stated a possible answer to it. Why does a colonist with a disease not lose the disease when crypto -frozen. Logically thinking, deep freezing (essentially what cryptocaskets do) would either A) Kill the Disease, or B) Lessen the potency extremely upon thawing/opening.

skullywag

Serious question but has anyone genuinely ever built one of these, im not saying they dont have their use, but ive just realised ive never built one....never seemed to have the need to, its one of those things thats always one of the last things to be researched for me.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

MarcTheMerc

I personally have used cryptosleep, its useful for example during a disease spiral to lessen the amount of paitients or freezing people during an ice sheets winter.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

DaemonDeathAngel

That works, as long as the one or two people outside the caskets don't die, lol.

Kegereneku

A cryptosleep have all reasons to preserve disease, a system meant to preserve all organic and restore them intact exactly as they were before can't make an exception for the source of a disease. Not to mention about cryo/cryptogenic weakening the body.

This is why some people invest in cryogenic in the hope of being unfreezed the day we can cure all maladydisease. (edit : dammit, I checked if it was a transparent word, that damned google translated it)
-------
Write an Event

DaemonDeathAngel

I'm not a lady, and you said it yourself, cryo lowers immune systems, therefore, theoretically, it should lower the potency of a disease as well, depending on how long they are frozen.

Kegereneku

You are getting it wrong.
It have all reasons to make it WORSE, your immune system is what protect you from disease. If the Cryo/crypto is harsher on the immune system than on the source of the diseases (a sturdy virus) you would worsen it. This logic is further encouraged by how the cryptosleep sickness.
So NO, there's nothing justifying to make the crypto-casket into a healing-chamber, even if that suggestion would make a cool Glitter-tech.

ps : what do your "I'm not a lady" refer to ? Really curious English isn't my first language.
-------
Write an Event

skullywag

you ended your sentence with "malady"..ma' lady...my lady...its an english thing. :)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Toggle

Cryptosleep is to preserve their state, that's the use. It's not for everyone to use all the time as it only has use sometimes. If you have a critically ill or injured colonist, but say it's the middle of a raid or people are depressed or you can't deal with it? Put him in cryptosleep, deal with it later. If you have someone who is only somewhat useful with their skills but not 100% of the time, put them in cryptosleep until you need them, such as fighters.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

zandadoum

what is all this people babbling about immunesystem and what not...

i've been talking about psicological negative effects like the negative effect for killing a prisoner

i don't give a damn if cryptosleep fixes a flu or makes it worse.

what doesn't make sense to me is that not only does cryptosleep not prevent psicological effects (which it should) but it actually makes them WORSE. (as in: you have someone in cryptosleep "clean", then you kill a prisoner and the guy in cryptosleep gets the debuff too. which is stupid enough already, but while everyone outside the debuff expires after a week, the guy in cryptosleep will always have a week debuff until he leaves cryptosleep and then it starts expiring like it did for everyone else)

please go read my OP and responses before replying to this post.

Axelios

Just an addition to OP's observation of the cryptosleep pods:

While a colonist is in the pod, they can pick up new bad moodlets (prisoner executed), but those moodlets don't expire because they're in the pod. If you leave them in the pod long enough, they'll collect bad moodlets for every bad thing that happens in your colony:
- prisoner executed
- colonist left unburied
- prisoner sold
- plus any other global bad moodlets that exist in the game.
If any of these stack normally, they can stack for the colonist in the pod.

Then, when the colonist is eventually let out of the pod, they could very easily go nuts. I'm not sure that this is expected behaviour.
I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student in university in New Zealand.

I like games, but unfortunately they don't help me get a degree.. so I'm going to be inactive for awhile.
- 22 July 2015