Which modpack is better?

Started by drbln, July 12, 2015, 03:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drbln

Please advise which modpack is better / adds more fetures?
Ultimate Overhaul or Hardcore SK?

skullywag

Hate to be terribly diplomatic but I would say try them both and find out which one suits you most, content wise I think theyre much the same its the type of content that differs.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Endovior

"Better" is subjective, of course. Both of the modpacks are more complex than vanilla, certainly, and there is some overlap between them. That said, Hardcore SK is certainly a 'harder' modpack, in that it wants you to put in a lot more effort to get the same results than Ultimate Overhaul does. If you like that kind of thing, and enjoy micromanaging extremely complex production chains, SK may be the modpack for you. If not, UO is probably a better bet.

For instance, in vanilla, you can plop down a wind turbine and start generating power more or less instantly, with your starting ore. In Ultimate Overhaul, you need to research Construction I and Power I, then refine your steel ore into steel bars, and then you can build your wind turbine. IIRC, in Hardcore SK, you need to do even more research, then build sawmill and a steam generator, and feed the steam generator kindling to get the power you need to run a concrete mixer, which you must furthermore feed with sand that you get from grinding down chunks; then you can use that concrete, combined with separately-refined steel bars, to build your wind turbine (I may have missed a step or two, at that!).

For reference, I personally use Ultimate Overhaul; Hardcore SK has a few too many hoops for me to jump through. Also, there are polish issues, re: the English translation of things in SK. Neither of the modpack authors are native English speakers, as I understand it, but UO does a much better job with flavour/instructional text than SK.

(also, this post is probably in the wrong subforum)

skullywag

yeah should have been in "mods" really but im sure a friendly neighbourhood moderator will come and move it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

pktongrimworld

I use a frankenstein of mods, :P

Delekhan

They're both good, but I definitely like Hardcore_SK better. However the current version (1.8c) has quite a few bugs, I'd wait until the next version, probably 1.8d.

Match

Personally I'm a fan of Ninefinger's, but I started using that before Sky's came out. In the future I'll do a play through with it though.

poorprae

Hardcore SK is the mod I'm currently using. I'm thinking about going back to the non-SK.

My only thing is the non-SK needs to have whatever mod it is that allows you to build walls where your colonists can shoot out of (embrasure).

Casazzo

I would advise you to try the following:

1 play half a game in vanilla (may bore you sooner or later, because of the easy content) (you may already have done that)

2 play half a game with one of the modpacks (may bore you sooner or later, because of the huge mass of aditional items and production chains)

3 build your own mod-pack from the mods you like and play a full game with lots of fun with the content you like.

4 go back to 3 and repeat

I PERSONALLY would recommend you: (you should load them in this order)
- Core (no mod, but the basic game)
- Edb Mod Order
- Edb Interface
- Pawn State Icons
- Vein Miner
- Hospitality
- Superior Crafting

But thats only me. I do not like the myriads of weapons and apparel, that ist added by some of the mods and sometimes drastically change the balance of the game. The ones i listed above are working well and allow for a very balanced game. For my own modpack (yes i know, it's a big name for a few mods) i did change some event-defs and i balanced the turrets from superior crafting even more, so that the gatling turret isn't the only interesting one.

Try to play a game with these base mods. You will find it much more fun to complete a game (build a spaceship) and after that you can change it again as you like. That's the charme of Rimworld.

Othobrithol

I started with Ninefinger's as a way to be exposed to all the various mods that were currently hot. But that was several iterations ago and both compilations, imho, are now a quite a bit bloated. I highly recommend picking either one, playing a bit and then systematically removing portions you don't enjoy.

Eventually, once you get the hang of it, I recommend grabbing a fresh copy of Superior Crafting (which is the single best mod, hands down) and adding the ones you really life to it. Ninefinger's modpack is a great place to dig through to copy various compatibility modifications to make them work together. Unfortunately, he's tweaked it so much that it is now "Ninefinger's Superior Crafting" and I find it takes me longer to undo his edits I don't want then to recreate his edits to make other mods compatible.

None of this should be taken as condemnation of the work he has a done, which is fantastic. Everyone just has a different idea of what the best set contains.

Vitals to me include Beantek's refrigerator, RT Fuseboxes, Hospitality, Miscellaneous, MD Droids (you can actually gut out almost everything but the droids from the base mod, use Ninefinger's defs/recipes), Pawn state icons, Prepare Carefully (I have a balanced but low skill team of four I always start with) and, of course, Superior Crafting. I alternate between pure vanilla weapons and using Rimfire.

lude

The one with the rubber ducks.

ChiefSlapahoe

I used the hardcore mod pack, as I had pretty much all those in myself except for superior crafting. It does make the game much harder in that it increases the prereqs of everything by ALOT. I like it as it extends the time where you have to really survive, you're never quite fully comfortable until a bit in which goes with the feeling of crashing on a planet well I think. You can always use prepare carefully to make it easier for you too. It adds a lot to the game, and also I enjoy the combat realism too.

The creators are active as well and respond to bugs/help requests. I see it as being something that sticks around for the final version. It makes the game into more of a true survival game

ChiefSlapahoe

Also I love the mods in that they add actual furniture, opposed to just having everything strewn across the ground. You can make a real colony with rooms now.