That's mighty cold...

Started by baekdal, July 12, 2015, 06:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baekdal

It is so cold outside that when the smoke comes out the chimney it would freeze solid, and we have to bring it back inside and thaw it out so it could blow away...
Let's just say you don't want to have someone walk across the map. They will never make it (including visitors)

Raufgar

Quote from: baekdal on July 12, 2015, 06:54:25 PM
It is so cold outside that when the smoke comes out the chimney it would freeze solid, and we have to bring it back inside and thaw it out so it could blow away...
Let's just say you don't want to have someone walk across the map. They will never make it (including visitors)

I already see this happening at -70C...I make little tunnels for my colonists to traverse to outlying locations. Gonna have to start using the conveyor mod soon...
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Kaballah

If you want to see some serious cold, try MarvinKosh's Hot and Cold Pack.  Among a lot of nifty things, it takes the training wheels off of Cold Snap and Volcanic Winter.  In the unmodded game, these incidents cannot occur if the temperature is colder than -10C, but MarvinKosh's mod removes that threshold.  I've had temperature go down to -160C - this is way colder than any place on Earth, but it's still possible to keep a colony going even in that temperature.  Pretty hard, but possible.

Kruniac

Quote from: Kaballah on July 13, 2015, 04:12:38 AM
If you want to see some serious cold, try MarvinKosh's Hot and Cold Pack.  Among a lot of nifty things, it takes the training wheels off of Cold Snap and Volcanic Winter.  In the unmodded game, these incidents cannot occur if the temperature is colder than -10C, but MarvinKosh's mod removes that threshold.  I've had temperature go down to -160C - this is way colder than any place on Earth, but it's still possible to keep a colony going even in that temperature.  Pretty hard, but possible.

Yeah, it definitely takes the kid gloves off. I had heaters in every room and managed to bring it "up" to a "nice" -80. It was basically the worst life imaginable.

On the flip side, I've had jungle colonies where you would suffocate in your sleep from heat.

Kaballah

Oh yeah, it does great thing for hot and dry biomes as well, all in all it's a really wonderful mod.