About Combat and balance

Started by Aristocat, July 13, 2015, 03:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristocat

Current combat balance is ridiculous for both logical sense and game balance wise, things like how 18 shooting skill "Revered master" has 20 - 40% hit chance against disabled turtle and eventually hit a foot or 80 old granny with 1 melee skill wrack 28 old with 20 melee skill just because better weapon, etc, so here's adjustments I think should be made.

1. Attribute. Mainly Strength, Agility and Endurance.

Strength governs damage of melee weapon, amount of things can be hauled, how much pawn slowed when wielding heavy weapon or armor(e.g. very weak pawn can't wield minigun or power armor, while below very strong gets slowed or penalty.).

So say, if 80 old granny with bad back, 1 melee skill, wielding longsword, fight against 28 old assassin with 15 melee skill, granny's head will instantly explode into gore, since she has lower strength and agility(easy to hit). And even if attack miraculously contact to assassin damage will be barely scratching.

Also the granny shouldn't able to haul rock, hauling resource should be around 25, while strong pawn will haul + 100 resource per haul.

Agility governs speed and dodge

High agility pawn will move faster, attack more often, can "sprint" greater distant and less likely vital part being exposed to attacker.

Endurance governs how much one can endure pain(and surgery), how quickly recover from wounds and infection, how much a pawn can endure exhaust(basically longer "Rest" bar.), and how long distant a pawn can sprint.

So 80 old granny will constantly exhausted in middle of combat, hard time survive infection/surgery, while monstrously strong people can last for days of combat without problem.

Endurance also increase amount of pain one can endure(currently when pain reaches 90% pawn give into pain, but this is too damn high), so the granny will give into pain when stabbed in the chest or eye being pulled off, instead of fight like mindless killing machine.

Also it would be nice if there's something like heart attack.

Maybe there should be other Attributes as well, like creativity or linguistic ability.

2. Dodge, Aimed attack and Accuracy

Dodge rating can be increased or decreased on various factors, running, agility, surround by walls/enemy, damaged legs, "In shock".

So if turtle is disabled its dodge rating will goes minus(very easy to hit), lead to 100% hit chance even with mediocre shooter.

If a pawns accuracy is high enough they will make aimed attack, instead of bother to attack ear or toe, attack head, or torso.

Since pawn has 100% chance to hit turtle, instead of attack random part attacker will attack head. So basically each body parts has difference chance to hit and pawn will make attack against most damaging parts possible.

Also maybe "precision" shoot/strike that prolong shoot until target is come out of cover or slower but more accurate strike?

About accuracy, I don't know how do I put this but, Each melee and shooting skill should grant much higher accuracy, so if a pawn with 6 melee skill fight against pawn with 15 melee, he will have hard time make attack contact, while 15 melee will just punch his head.

3 skill against 3 should misses attack, accidentally hitting/shooting themselves, so you can't give longsword or pistol to 1 melee/1 shooting 16 old girl and expect her to fight well. If you want to make them fight you should train them.

15 shooting sniper should able to just blow head up with near 95% accuracy, especially against a pawn that's not sprinting, out of cover for shooting, just walking around, etc.

3. Sprint and CHARGE!

Sprint make pawn move faster but make pawn exhausted and has cooldown. Useful when a pawn is downed and need a quick rescue or you're trying to flank enemy. Also Sprinting/charging make pawn jump over table/sandbag/slag/whatever, partially negate move speed penalty. Agility and endurance is huge factor on sprinting.

I mean, you're(or your friends) about to die, and you just waltz into bullets and move same speed as when you're farming or playing billiard?

When order to attack melee, instead of walk up to them or chase them for eternity, charge make pawn charge against a pawn, greatly increase move speed for short while. Charge has cooldown.

4. Basic Ai for melee colonist

Currently if you don't order colonist to attack they just sit there and do nothing. I guess there should something "Defend here" option that make colonist can't move.

5. Wrestle and Disarm

Instead of order pawn to kill(attack) you can order them to wrestle into ground and disarm or strangle until pass out.

Attacking arm also should disarm target.

6. More ways to recruit

7. No alert and fog of war for higher difficult.

This will make you actually patrol and secure territory.

I was going to write more but this is basically it. What do you think?

Lonely Rogue

Should this not go under suggestions?
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

Levin

Interesting ideas. I wonder how hard they would be to code. No experience on that front myself.

Aristocat

Quote from: Levin on July 13, 2015, 09:49:53 AM
Interesting ideas. I wonder how hard they would be to code. No experience on that front myself.

I think things like Attributes wouldn't be hard to code as we already have things like manipulation(affect accuracy, work speed). While only thing sprint and charge does is increase speed based on other factors so it shouldn't be that hard. Aiming wouldn't hard neither since game already attack depend on target body parts size, except this is basically completely random, right foot second toe has 0.05 coverage, while big toe has 0.05, foot has 0.2... etc.

evil scientist

fallout S.P.E.C.I.A.L atributes mod anyone ?  ;D
a knife in a gun fight this is how its done right ?