Brainstorm: Buildable Future Content

Started by AspenShadow, October 07, 2013, 10:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Quote from: AspenShadow on October 08, 2013, 01:23:29 PM
I like the idea it adds more to the Frontier theme established in the Alpha, a distillery can be used to brew various alcoholic drinks and similar to power & batteries, you store a type of booze in a keg because maybe it takes too much time to distil the drink and have it on request?

"Yes sir, Mr Pirate.  One cocktail coming up.  Molotov, correct?"

Spike

While watching Blitzkriegsler's latest video, I had this idea:
* Outdoor Walls - Simple barrier that does not conduct power, nor is a load-bearing structure.  Enclosed areas will not be roofed over.
* Indoor Walls - as current walls in the game.  Conduct power, will be roofed over when an area is enclosed.

I remember someone talking about disconnected walls spamming them with messages about no power, or saw it somewhere.  This would help eliminate it.  Could also use different resources (rock) if more are added.

Hypolite

I like the idea of thin walls to separate rooms. They wouldn't take a whole square and would sit on the separation between squares, preventing movement between squares but not taking any floor space. This would allow less bulky buildings.

AspenShadow

Quote from: Spike on October 08, 2013, 02:03:42 PM
While watching Blitzkriegsler's latest video, I had this idea:
* Outdoor Walls - Simple barrier that does not conduct power, nor is a load-bearing structure.  Enclosed areas will not be roofed over.
* Indoor Walls - as current walls in the game.  Conduct power, will be roofed over when an area is enclosed.

I remember someone talking about disconnected walls spamming them with messages about no power, or saw it somewhere.  This would help eliminate it.  Could also use different resources (rock) if more are added.

I'd wondered about the disconnect spamming as well, a good idea that's pretty much bound to be implemented. In fact I think Tynan stated that he intended to have outside 'fence' walls somewhere along with 'room' walls... once again my memory fails me.

Quote from: Hypolite on October 08, 2013, 02:15:35 PM
I like the idea of thin walls to separate rooms. They wouldn't take a whole square and would sit on the separation between squares, preventing movement between squares but not taking any floor space. This would allow less bulky buildings.

You'd know better than me if that was possible, but the current engine looks like it only operates in constructing on a tile-based system not the divides between tiles. If it's too much extra work I'd be happy with just an indoor and outdoor wall, outdoor perhaps being slightly more reinforced and not carrying power.

Haplo

- A Rocket Turrent:
High destructive power, but after 1-2 shots it needs to be reloaded, (manually)  which uses up metal. Additionally it could destroy accidentally your own home.
- Windows:
The occupant of the room is a bit happier as he can watch the outside, and you can shoot out of it, defense as a sand barrier (pos. or neg.)
- Upgrades for Turrent:
Hardening - can absorb more enemy fire, but is much slower rotating
Targeting Computer - hits better, but is costly and get destroyed when get hit right

Hypolite

Windows sound like a great idea, making troglodyte base hard on morale without special attention to decoration.

Zeiph

And it would be a good balance for having a pretty easily defendable base.

British

Outdoor walls would be a good addition indeed, as are windows.
Now we'd have to figure out if/how windows are to be crossed: if we (or raiders) can cross it, and it's faster for them to go through windows rather than doors, then what's the point ?

As AspenShadow noted, thin walls would be a pain more than anything else: hard to see, hard to figure out which side of a "brick-unit" they are on... the list goes on.

Haplo

I think that you should only be able to see and shoot through windows. If you can climb through windows it should,  if at all possible, slow the climber drastically down and he shouldn't be able to shoot while climbing through.
This way it should only be an emergency entry/exit. If possible, other ways should be prefered.

hoggerlivestwice

Game needs to focus on mod support mostly, cuz most people here seem to have their own idea whats best for the game. barring anything that doesnt fit their own idea of perfection for a game. lulzworthy i knos.

Hypolite

Game needs to focus on being it self. What many people think of what the game should be is not relevant to what the game will be. Before thinking about mod support, thinking about making it how it is supposed to be should be the priority. ;)

kronicmeerkat

this seemed like a good place to put my ideas:
My ideas

1. this is the big weakness of al RTS and AI management. make sure to add in a easy to get but also detailed AI management order thing. imagine you have your main base and you have an outpost on the other end of the map. you might not be able concentrate on one base for very long so it is important to make sure that your troops and farmers and others all know what to do when they are under attack for example if a pirate attacks the workers all know to flee to a safe house and the guards know were they are supposed to be when the enemy attacks. if too many of the players troops die needlessly because they didn't notice or is they get overwhelmed by negative or confusing information they will likely get angry and rage quit and will give bad reviews. a good example is the war-game series or men of war assault squad.

2. if your playing as a colonist then surely then your from an empire or a bigger civilization? meaning are there other species who want to colonize here as well? (allowing for trade routes to be established or wars between of colonies)

3. is this planet habitable? is there already life on this planet like tribal villages or an underground city with a more intelligent race that doesn't quit know how space travel works.
4. this is sort a carry on note from idea 3 but it seemed like it needed its own point. you could have hives of semi intelligent creatures, I drew a bit of inspiration from that war-hammer game "space hulk" it's on steam and their gene stealers. this was more my inspiration but from there they can be moulded into any shape or form to fit the game play, though you could have a day night cycle where they come more dangerous or something.
5. it seemed like you had some tunnel digging mechanic in the trailer, you could have caves to explore which could be used to hide traps, creatures and pirate groups. however you could also make them so you can hide your own bases and out posts, in them to reduce pirate raids and the creatures finding you.
6. maps and level design. now I don't know how you intend  to design the game and how the map will be generated, as in is it going to be like mincraft big map  with lots of land to explore and build on. or small map like prison architect that you just micro mange, (hopefully not bigger map allows for multiplayer) or prison architect, but with a bigger map that is split up into grids that can be explored. (again go with the first one) even if the map is not infinite but just big is allows for loads of options for the players and you get more people interested. as well as this it will allow you to do future expansion and will also attract the moding community which will attract more people and make the game more awesome.
7. make it mod friendly and also make it easy to run on any PC (it's no good if a game can only run on high end PCs).
8. I shall make this my final point as your probably getting tired of reading this (you haven't skipped my ideas XD) one thing that always annoyed me in RTS is when there is a race that you can't play as even if they aren't very powerful it still adds content.

hoggerlivestwice

Id like some kind of vacuum, temperature, and atmosphere simulator. Later leading into full blown space stations perhaps.

and Id like to take what makes the story teller AI tick, and make an autonomous NPC type character called an Artificial being, it just does random things and aids (or ails) your colonists autonomously, like some kind of AI manager found in Guild 2 or something... but more nefarious.

salt1219

i think we need a bad idea thread, a thread for content that shouldn't be part of the game.
that way people can check and see if their z-level, multiplayer and other ideas have already been shot down.

rsdworker

well i seen lets play videos

i had idea - the doors could be have bigger - double doors also fire doors - fireproof doors to stop spreading and walls could be fireproof to protect the equipment also fire sprinkers could be ideal with water tank nearby to supply also fire extinguishers could be placed