Suggestion- religion

Started by SadisticNemesis, July 15, 2015, 08:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadisticNemesis

So going over things and having followed this game from kickstarter, playing the game from alpha 1 *ah... the joy of the update that had sound LOL* near enough everything that was promised is in game. And going by the change logs so will animal husbandry *very much looking forward to that!*

So the only thing left from what i can tell from what was promised is religion. I think it'll be fun to add it purely because it'll add more to each character some being of the void gods, others of no gods, or whatever else made up or real life gods... maybe even some lovecraft easter eggs? :D

I guess this isn't so much a suggestion but more of if this is still a planned thing? I see that praying is currently in game through the joy aspects so its somewhat hinted... maybe.. e_e.

kingtyris

I think Tynan has said before that he never *promised* religion, just that he would like to include it if he could make it work in game.

I'm not really sure what an entire new system based around religion would add to the game. I'd love to see Void Gods and saintly Ascended Glitterworld humans added in as events to the game, but worship or factions splitting off based on religion just doesn't seem to work in this setting. Although if anyone has some good ideas I'd love to read them.

Mr.Cross

Let's see, he already kind of does have a base for the religion. (praying/meditating) If tynan does make anything along the lines of relationships for Rimworld (and now there doesn't have to be anything romantic for this) but it could allow colonists to either start with say a +5 to their relation ship that could either go up, or go down depending on anything really. Having a religion, and praying to that god/goddess. Could give mood buffs, debuffs and occasionally increase your skill in a specific area for a short time. There are plenty of ways this could go if he adds it.
Claims to know most things.

It would be really hard to find colonists for my colony.  For I am their one true God and they shall have no other Gods before me.

Seriously though, would religion add anything other than being the annoying blather which religion is irl?  I don't care if my colonists pray, etc (already done as a joy activity), but does it need anything more than that?

I tell ya now, if religion becomes a "thing" and my pawns annoy me with/about it, they will be sold as slaves or eaten by cannibals real quick.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

SadisticNemesis

Quote from: kingtyris on July 15, 2015, 11:12:27 PM
I think Tynan has said before that he never *promised* religion, just that he would like to include it if he could make it work in game.

To be fair it IS in the kickstarter promise list with the rest of the features.

Quote from: 1000101 on July 16, 2015, 12:49:15 AM

Seriously though, would religion add anything other than being the annoying blather which religion is irl?  I don't care if my colonists pray, etc (already done as a joy activity), but does it need anything more than that?

I tell ya now, if religion becomes a "thing" and my pawns annoy me with/about it, they will be sold as slaves or eaten by cannibals real quick.

you don't have to like it in real life? every little thing that adds more life and personality to My pawns I'll take it. plus you even say yourself it'll be changing things up... just you'll be eating them Lol.

Kegereneku

I can see some Gameplay use for it as a mood-management system. But it is important that it be something player-controlled, else it will quickly get boring to have irrational colonist.

Something like : The player decide whether or not he build a idol/room for that, some colonist get positive/negative trait from it, but it's otherwise neutral. A religious faction appear and have some simple reaction based on what you do.

It's however very very very low on my thing-I-dont-really-wish-for list.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

ComradeKhan

I'd like to see it as a relationship factor.

We could maybe have a set list of religions that persist across all worlds, or some randomly generated religion names for each world. They could give a relationship boost to people of the same religion and those people could pray together for more joy and a mood boost, and a relations debuff to people of certain different religions.

Maybe it could also be used to influence relations with certain factions. If your colony is a majority of one religion, that it could positively or negatively impact your relation with another faction.

Maybe it could also influence certain personal aspects of your colonists, like what they wear and what they eat. Your colonists could be kosher and not eat boar (or maybe even some new kind of space-kosher that doesn't eat rhino or boomrat or something), or they can't wear or can only wear certain types of clothing. Maybe the level of devotion between practitioners can vary, so one colonist who follows one religion dubiously only gets a small mood debuff from eating something their religion says is unfit for consumption, while another more zealous follower will never eat anything containing that food, doesn't touch booze and will only ever wear button-down shirts because the good book says it so.

Maybe a broken colonist can 'lose their religion', abandoning all religious adherents for a while, suffering a major mood debuff for a few days, where they might go full-heretic and drink and cuss and eat nothing but bacon for a few days, at the end of which they might find their God/Gods/Omnipotent Bowl of Noodles again and return to their religious ways, or abandon their faith entirely.

Maybe a high social skilled colonist can convert doubting Redfields' to his own religion if given enough face-time with them. Maybe you can make your own little colony of zealots, for no other reason than DEUS VULT.

It's a realm of possibility i'd quite like to see, but I wouldn't be too miffed it wasn't ever added in. I'd rather see a more advanced relationship system added in first before we throw something as tedious as religion in.

Quote from: ComradeKhan- snipped for berevity -

Yeah, all that I would *not* want to see.

As I said, I am good with the "praying" joy activity.  If you want to spice it up with "praying to {0}" or "praying for {0}", I'd be fine.  When it comes to wide changes which greatly impact the colony, I'd rather find a game which doesn't involve religion/politics.  One of the worst aspects of Skyrim was the annoying politics and civil war.  I ignored it completely, the whole point of a game is to escape that crap, not simulate it.

I'm here to build colonies, not a temples.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.