Starting on a Hydration Mod

Started by DarkSpider, January 08, 2018, 07:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkSpider

I have been playing RimWorld a while now and have gotten to the point that I think I know the game well enough to start modding it. The one thing that always bothered me, especially with the amount of depth this game has, is no need for water for survival. I would like to fix that.

I have modded other games like 7 Days to Die so I'm not ignorant to the amount of work it will take to accomplish this. I have started exploring the xml files and looking over some tutorials and it looks pretty straight forward. What I would like to do is describe what I think it will take and as long as no one steals my idea maybe a more experienced RW modder could tell me if its doable.

I would like to make a new "Hydration" Need for pawns and prisoners. This need would deplete just about the same speed as the "Hunger" Need maybe slightly faster. It should deplete faster the hotter your pawn is and be refilled when you drink fluids.

I will make a production table similar to a the fishing spot mod called a "Watering Hole". This will be placed in water and pawns will go and collect water from it(very quick craft time on "Watering Hole"). I was thinking I could make storage for water or it might just be easier to just use the Chem-fuel Can graphic colored Blue for "Water Cans".

Collected water must first be boiled before it is safe to drink. This can be a quick recipe on any cooking table.

I think Collecting Water and Cleaning Water will need new Jobs made for them in the xml's.

Thats the basics. But once that is all set up then the fun stuff can be added in like Research Tech for
-Purification Tablets so you don't have to boil water
-Water Pumps, Pipes and Boilers to automate water gathering and cleaning
-Moisture Harvesters for pulling water from the air in dry places

Then there is the new Joy things that could come with it like-
-Make a Swimming Pool(Pool Partys)
-Ice Cubes for Iced Tea and Iced Coffee(adds a little more joy and lowers pawn Temp)
-Wet rags for cooling off your pawns on hot days

Then of course you will have the bad things like dehydration and stuff.

Well thats my idea. What do you think? Doable?

Thanks for any response,
Spider

zareck

Have you ever seen dubs mods?Maybe you could integrate some of his ideas, like underground water, and other things like gather water for rain, and tribal ways to gather water as well.Good luck, I would love to see this mod finished, and when you start this, if you need someone to test, you can count on me :)

DarkSpider

Thanks Zareck I had not tried Duds mod before and after some digging it looks like his is the only mod I can find that is creating a custom "Need" for pawns and prisoners. It looks to me that all the pieces to build a Hydration Mod are available through xml. But can something like this be added in without any C# coding? Is it as easy as just going and setting up all the proper xmls?

zareck

actually I don't know nothing about c++ or xml :P I just wnatd to show you his mods that maybe coud give you and additional inspiration.Plsss don't let this ideia die, I really wanna see this since I started to play Rimworld!

Harry_Dicks

All I can say is that I agree with DarkSpider, in that if you do make a mod, I think it would be cool if it could work with Dubs Bad Hygiene, maybe using some of his facilities or building off of them. Like buckets, sinks, water fountains, etc. I think that would be really cool! And the ultimate awesomeness, would be full integration with: Dubs Bad Hygiene, cuproPanda's Drinks/Soda/Energy, Vegetable Garden (not sure I don't use it?), and I'm sure you could think of a few others. And the final step... a sprinkler system!!! Holy crap, how awesome would that be? I myself am a HUGE fan of more systems being added to RimWorld. Having to setup a new water line just for sprinklers, or firefoam, or whatever would be so awesome. Firefoam poppers could be made into medieval tech or something, and the firefoam sprinklers industrial. Ooohh the sprinkler system could also hookup to crop sprinklers from Spdskatr's Project RimFactory!!! Ahhhh RimWorld mod fantasy overload!!! :P

zareck

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: zareck on January 29, 2018, 02:31:48 PM
any updates?

TBH I wouldn't get my hopes up if the OP was only planning an xml mod. I'm sure it's probably doable with dubs' Bad Hygiene as a base, but without being able to program in C#, I would think that you would have to use dubs' as a base if you want to have a professional feeling mod.