[Mod Request] fire sprinkler

Started by eatKenny, December 22, 2014, 05:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eatKenny

can be placed like lamp and with almost transparent texture (to simulate that they are mounted on ceiling).
when actived they can put out fire within a certain radius.

MikeHavliczek

This would be awesome! I recently lost half of my base because my pawns cant get to fire. There is also feature called sponge dispenser in Clutter mod, but i cant find it.

realdude19

Quote from: eatKenny on December 22, 2014, 05:59:15 PM
can be placed like lamp and with almost transparent texture (to simulate that they are mounted on ceiling).
when actived they can put out fire within a certain radius.

Please PLEASE!!! Please for the love of not burning alive! I lost my whole colony with one major fire that started in my Massive indoor Hydroponics Farm... It SUCKED!

This Mod Would be an absolute Life saver! Please, Please make this. Please!

Sempie

I dare to say this with the risk of not getting friends with you, however.
If you loose because a fire Burned down your entire base or at least wreaked that much havok so you cant stand a chance for future raids or whatever, sorry, but you've made mistakes.
Just as you did, I lost several bases to fire. I learned to build my base (semi-)fireproof.

It's a part of the game that you have to deal with perils.
This is a survivalgame, not My little Pony.

Avoid construction with wood. If a fire starts inside a room, make this room a "no-roof" area so the heat can pass out. [...] There are several strategies how to deal with fire and it's a elemental part of the game.

There's one, the only one, implementation of sprinklers I'd like:
Sprinklers that requiere water that you can either collect from rain and store it in tanks, or you can pump out of lakes. However, this would require plumbering, pumping machines and so on. But the simple "Set up a sprinkler like a lamp and it extinguishes fires" is dumb. An entire new gameplaymechanic that cannot be implemented with just a few hours but is enough work to count as complete new version.

mrofa

My dispenser uses plasma not water :D

Anyways fire have its danger no matter how you did build your base, it can start almost anyware and in some cases like after a raid when half your colony is in bed or half alive, its kinda hard to extiguish the fire with your fists :P
All i do is clutter all around.

skullywag

Hmmm i reckon i could knock this up. Would it  need power? how would it activate? When it detects fire? Does it need a water supply?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Sempie

I'd say it needs watersupply and plumbing (like wireing, just for water).
Water could come from: Tanks or lakes. Either most be plumbet.
There should be a pumping machine to get the water up from the lake to the sprinklers or to the tanks, while the tanks ("up on towers, thats how watertowers work"), dont need energy to provide water.

People can toggle it on/off, or a sensor(requires energy) can trigger it as well.

Effectivity is conditional to waterpressure, higher pressure -> more water coming out. This, the tank doesn't need energy, but a pump which provides more pressure is still more effective.

In that way, I'd call this a really cool element. But simply lamps that extinquish fire are dumb.

mrofa

Well then skully you just need to remake heat distribution mod. But i think that would put to much complication on colony building even as much as i like the reality element in Sempie descrition

kaptain_kavern

Plus it'll be a shame to code water in the game just for this (i don't say i don't like the idea but water in RW is asked by many since quite some time)

lude

At least two mods exist that offer this, I once made a thread like this too, wanting to make one.

But the Sponge is back, all hail the Sponge.

skullywag

* looks at already working example of collecting/processing water to be used as a commodity hes been working on for a few weeks *

seriously though ive been working on this on and off for a few weeks now, my only issue with it so far has been "how do i transport the water", this is the fundamental question I need to answer.

For those interested, I have a set of machines that can "collect" water from different resources (pump for water tiles, squeezer for plants, catchers for rain/fog/snow etc) and I have machines for processing (purification, water cell production) cells are then sold/drunk (like beer), it was a simple production chain to have a new commodity/resource and was only meant to be something for me to play with however I hit the point I touched on above, how do i transport the water if not by pawn. Pipes is the obvious answer but they come with their own technical issues that Id have to work with and im not sure Id class that as "fun" and that is after all why i mod.

So when i saw this request my brain said a building that puts out fires in a radius isnt difficult, infact its trivial for me to do, but if it involves needing water again its somewhat trivial, if it needs water via a piping mechanism, thats now a big ask.

So yeah in short "coding water" into the game isnt difficult if you dont make it difficult.

Im also worried that the moment I release such a mod im gonna get hounded by "TTTTHHHHHIIIIIRRRRSSSSST NEEEEEED" comments.

lude

Quote from: skullywag on July 22, 2015, 07:32:27 AM
* looks at already working example of collecting/processing water to be used as a commodity hes been working on for a few weeks *

seriously though ive been working on this on and off for a few weeks now, my only issue with it so far has been "how do i transport the water", this is the fundamental question I need to answer.

For those interested, I have a set of machines that can "collect" water from different resources (pump for water tiles, squeezer for plants, catchers for rain/fog/snow etc) and I have machines for processing (purification, water cell production) cells are then sold/drunk (like beer), it was a simple production chain to have a new commodity/resource and was only meant to be something for me to play with however I hit the point I touched on above, how do i transport the water if not by pawn. Pipes is the obvious answer but they come with their own technical issues that Id have to work with and im not sure Id class that as "fun" and that is after all why i mod.

So when i saw this request my brain said a building that puts out fires in a radius isnt difficult, infact its trivial for me to do, but if it involves needing water again its somewhat trivial, if it needs water via a piping mechanism, thats now a big ask.

So yeah in short "coding water" into the game isnt difficult if you dont make it difficult.

Im also worried that the moment I release such a mod im gonna get hounded by "TTTTHHHHHIIIIIRRRRSSSSST NEEEEEED" comments.

Hah, the Thirst Need is strong among the recurrent mod wishes, could the ductvent mod be of any help as to how transport the water? It would be nice if the vanilla RW had a water system/physics similar to DF2, or perhaps make water a second kind of electricity which then can be converted into non hammerspace non electricity water by outlets/production outlets, or bath tubs for joy, so how long will it take til the first people want centralized water heating instead of per production facility/water utility flow type heater

i just realized that the ductvent code probably wouldn't be helpful at all since it's made for something too different.

skullywag

My first thought was a simple building that has a direction of flow defined, based on its rotation it will pass water (probably a float number in code) to the next building. So for example, the pump currently pulls "water" from a water tile and fills an internal tank (the float number, 0f = empty, 0.5f = half full, 1f = full) the pump building can pass to other buildings that receive water (like the pipe) it passes at a rate of 0.1f every rare tick (or whatever numbers arent important), this pipe then does the same to the next and so on. The issue and the complexity comes from direction switching, splitting the flow, multiple sources etc, suddenly its a scary prospect....

lude

hmm yeah, that sounds complicated perhaps for switchers and splitters an output rotation that works for a certain number of ticks and revolves rather quickly but it also sounds like that could create some serious overhead in stuff to be computed, I wonder how prison architect solved it's piping

mrofa

So in theory since im thinkering on steam transporting system, i did get to a idea(not tested yet), that each pipe pice would have each its own storage and forwording method. I.e. pipe got 20f of storage, each 10 ticks it checks cardinal directions for another pipe and transport 1f of storage to it unless target current storage or target  current storage +1f > than this pipe current storage.
This is to emulate pressure mechanic and also should work similar to power grid, so each pipe in connected grid should have around same f charges count.
Ofc this is still in theory and im not sure how so many ticker stuff will affact the game.