(Mod Request) Mod Updater

Started by gofastskatkat, July 21, 2015, 12:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gofastskatkat

I was just thinking, I havent found a mod or something that allows you to update the mods that you have installed, might be hard to make, but I remember getting a mod that tells you what mods are outdated and can take you to the web page to get the newest version. Just wondering if any of you would be interested in doing this.

Endovior

What you're asking is beyond the scope of a "mod", and more along the lines of something like "Steam Workshop". Which is a thing that will happen eventually, just not soon.

Sempie

Wouldn't be THAT hard to implement into rimworlds GUI.
However, this would require a webservice, thus a server, to provide a list with the current versions and their links.

This is not the fun-part of modding and I don't think that anyone wants to do that. Thats that kind of job you give to an intern you'll never see again or to someone you want to fire anyway.

harpo99999

unfortunately part of the problem is that a few (or lot) of the mods use DLL's to get the mod functions, and without re-compiling the DLL in the mod against the changes in the game the mod DOES NOT WORK and usually manages to crash the game.
it would be possible to write a utility to convert the XML files between the version changes in the xml code, but converting the DLL's would be a completely different order of difficulty.

gofastskatkat

For anyone whose interested, here's the original mod that sparked my interest. http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8181.0

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: harpo99999 on July 21, 2015, 05:37:59 PM
unfortunately part of the problem is that a few (or lot) of the mods use DLL's to get the mod functions, and without re-compiling the DLL in the mod against the changes in the game the mod DOES NOT WORK and usually manages to crash the game.
it would be possible to write a utility to convert the XML files between the version changes in the xml code, but converting the DLL's would be a completely different order of difficulty.
All of this. remember that even the game looks ready for release and you may play it since a long time, hey it's still  in alpha stage. Maybe all of this will be easier later or useless with SteamWorkshop (personally not fan of it though)