Game doesn't run on linux

Started by CIB, July 25, 2015, 10:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CIB

I just bought the game against my better judgement. I really like the idea of it and the videos I saw seem promising, but without a demo I had no way to find out whether it would run. Googling around I found a lot of positive opinions, though, and according to this site my system specs should be enough: http://www.lgdb.org/game/rimworld

On my laptop it doesn't crash, but it's incredibly slow. The system isn't too powerful, it's got a Intel Core i7-3520M with Intel HD 4000. I was expecting chugging and general slowness on this system, I wasn't expecting several seconds latency in the main menu and less than 1 FPS in the actual game. It might be issues with my graphics drivers, but this is a 2D game and my CPU is decent. Is there a way to switch to software rendering or something?

I also tried it on a bit more powerful desktop. There the menus at least respond reasonably fast, but pressing "Generate World" in the generate world menu just doesn't do anything. I started it in the console to see if there's any error output, but there isn't. It just doesn't work.

Honestly, as it is this game is unusable for me. I think there should be a demo to at least verify whether the game runs at all on one's system, as well as some very clear indication that the Linux version is in such a poor state.

What's really sad about this is that all of this could've been avoided if I had pirated the game before buying it. I don't really think that's something you want to encourage people to do..

(And for the record, I didn't consider pirating it, but I did see a lot of people suggesting that when googling "rimworld demo", and after what happened to me I think they've got a point)

blinari

I play RimWorld on Linux, using a low-end laptop also with Intel integrated graphics. I've had none of the issues you describe - the game plays well, with only a bit of slowdown during massive raids.

When you start it in the console, what is the text output?

Edit: The dependencies on Arch are listed as "glu glibc gcc-libs-multilib libxcursor libxrandr". Do you have these or their equivalent for your distro installed?