Multiple maps

Started by Hypolite, October 07, 2013, 10:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebCom1807

Hmm.. I am suddenly thinking of a gamemode in Sword of the Stars - Where every X turns, you need to have a fleet ready to move to a new map.

Could have it be something like that - Just a 'Nomads' mode where you build up resources for a trip and have some basic equipment in reserve (Some metal, food, etc.) when you get there. And, in this case, it could possibly keep track of what was left behind so that you could, if wanted or needed, send people back. And at that point, it'd be up to the Storyteller to say what happened - Did it get ransacked? Did a herd of muffalo move in? Maybe some raiders came by and destroyed everything - Or worse, moved in!

..Which brings me to another idea of possibly having some form of AI settlement cropping up, using buildings in accessible ways. Would give a good reason for Steam Workshop integration, if that's anywhere down the line.

Deakn

Quote from: Hypolite on October 07, 2013, 12:28:22 PM
The problem with increasing the map size, it's that it takes more time for colonists to fully cross it. More time means more risks of starving and sleep deprivation, and the game would need more life-sustain buildings or items than he has now, or even vehicles, which are not trivial. Beyond the simple performance problem, it's a whole balancing issue to increase the size of the map.

One way to counter this would be to add some sort of backpack, like colonist could have these accessories like tools belts, backpacks for long travels, tactical vests (if ammo was implemented for weapons (maybe just high end stuff) and what else you could think of.

It would give you more micro management but could give you, first of all the option to traverse a larger map (backpack), but secondly to specialize colonists for jobs such as construction, mining, security/guards etc.

I know they already have specialization but some colonists, like the settlers, are more like a blank slate the way I see it so you could use these accessories (or whatever you think sounds better) to specialize them with.

Also I think vehicles would ruin the game a bit, I know they got some higher tech stuff but still sort seems to ruin it all, dunno just my thoughts. :)