Sad Stories

Started by Segrog, July 28, 2015, 04:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segrog

What is the saddest thing you guys have seen in Rimworld? For me it was being forced to sell all of my colonists into slavery except one because the colony was falling and I didn't want to see my colonists die. Everyone was in a terrible mood and half of the colonists died from an attack. I realized the chances of building a ship were zero. The last guy, who had to be left behind so he could sell everyone else, managed to get another guy into our colony so I decided to use the new guy to sell the guy left behind so he could survive too. I had to watch the new colonist struggle to survive alone, but only to witness him die of infections. I'm just glad I got to save some of my colonists. Even though I did lose some of my best colonists. RIP in peace. Please tell me I wasn't the only one that had to sell my colonists into slavery so they could live.

Zork

you sold most of your colonists because of mood effects? I just build them a billiards table  :P :P

Coenmcj

You're the reason my colonies are so well stocked with hard labour. ;)
King Razor thanks you from the bottom of his mostly synthetic heart.

I always make the mistake of starving my colonists because I can't seem to get farming right on the colder biomes, the plants either staying too cold (Despite being in a heated room and airlocked) and not growing, or simply dying.

And since it's so cold; no critters to hunt. I have to watch my colonists slowly starve and resort to cannibalism, a fruitless endeavour. They all die in the end..
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mihsan

Quote from: Segrog on July 28, 2015, 04:43:58 AMPlease tell me I wasn't the only one that had to sell my colonists into slavery so they could live.

Nope. Be sold to some cannibal or organ dealer - what a nicest idea. How did I not came up with it?  ;)

By the way my saddest experience was on my first winter in tundra when I had to collect frozen bodies of dead tribals, so my colonists would not starve to death. And next wave of pirates was sent straight in my freezers. There was just nothing more else, not even squirrels to hunt, no hydroponics, no greenhouse, no ships to trade and not even berries (got them all in the autumn). But after all my guys survived and built one of the best of my colonies.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Drakon22

Honestly, when my colony had just gotten started, a nice big, side of a mountain colony. While I was digging, I came upon a wall, deconstructed it, mechanism came out, burned down the colony, shot a bunch of people. Then I got to watch my favorite colonists burn to death, or bleed to death, or starve, because everyone was down. Eventually, my artillery shells exploded, finishing off the last guy. I felt really sorry for my prisoners though. They just had to suffer in their 1X2 cells while listening to the gunshots and flames getting closer and closer.

IskOtter

This game is up there for creating upsetting moments and situations. I think it's always bad when you have one guy left and he has to eat his dead friends in order to survive, particularly on ice sheet biomes, cannibalism is just a way of life. I actually just uploaded a short RimWorld video to showcase how desperate a situation can get sometimes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FgEqDjFx7w.

But yeah, I'd still say, when you know there is no hope of survival, your last guy is starving, no power, no food, no nothing. Welp, better just die.

Mihsan

My most valued colonist. Skill 20 in construction, prostophobe and too smart. Lost both eyes in manhunting muffalos event.

Had to give her one bionical eye and now she hates herself almost all the time.

Pain, agony and mechanoids.

shaw357

My entire colony just died from burning or heat stroke a few minutes ago... I'm still pretty depressed about it. It was one small circut fizzle in the main lobby where everyone is. Rip Merksen.

Ravenwood

Group of four successfully fight off two inferno-centipedes (no sniper rifles), only to all die of raging infection from their terrible burns.

Struggling during a medium psychic drone, this group of 5 colonists are incinerated in a battery fire when they all break at the same time.  The whole base burns out completely, leaving nothing but an empty shell.

The lady navy doctor, the old scientist, the surly barman, and the wanderer:

Ekeing out a fragile existence on the ice sheet, they narrowly avoid cannibalism.  The old scientist dies early from an arrow to the knee (literally).  When barman is laid low by infection, the base is attacked by sapper pirates; the wanderer breaks, leaving the doctor to defend outnumbered four to one.  The doctor drives them off, but the wanderer is incinerated in an fire when sapper grenades immolate the hydroponics bay.

It's -60C outside.  Herself wounded, the doctor nearly freezes to death repairing the walls, rewiring the remaining batteries, repairing the heaters, clearing out some of the slag, and dragging the barman's delirious body into the cave left by the raging fire.  The first thing the barman does when he wakes is to go berserk, chasing the doctor out into the freezing waste and nearly beats her to death.  After his rage clears, the barman goes to recover her broken from only to collapse from exhaustion and die just short of the cave.

I had to quit playing for a few days after that one.

daterxies

I really only started playing... My favorite / only doctor went out hunting with another guy... The deer went berserk and brain damaged my doctor... i had her laying in bed hoping for some miracle that she would wake up.. but ended up having to euthanize her after a few weeks.   

Food was running really low.. sent another two guys out hunting again.. The 1 hunter started shooting behind the other one and shot him up pretty good... missed the deer and instead put about 5 bullets into his buddy  ???.  With barely any medical supplies and no one else that skilled in medicine the guy got a bad infection in his torso and arm.. tried taking the arm off, but he eventually died from the infection in his torso (Which i didnt know how to fix)

My two best people dead.  within like a month.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

On if my colonist died in an attempt to save some people from cryo sleep. It wasn't mechanoids that killed him, but a bunch of mega scarabs that had made home in on of the people's body. This guy had just been recruited after watching all his friends die, and they was killed by a mega scrab as I was trying to save some more people from and insane woman with a shot gun and the megascrabs. RIP my poor little miner
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

astrosoup

My Yorkie outlasted almost all the original colonists and more through so many near misses and lucky escapes. Then during a random pirate raid, one of them just killed it. It was so unceremonious that it made me actually sad.

It was a harbinger of things to come, however, as the colony didn't last much longer. A month later, the lone remaining shipwrecker- a nudist who was unable to do menial work - was slowly wasting away by herself. She finally succumbed to curiosity and knocked down the stone wall to see what was in that strange room next to the colony.

That's when I discovered mechanoids and lost my first game of Rimworld XD

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Real similar story to what i posted but still sad
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Lady Wolf

The Fall of Defiance

Using the expanded cybernetics mod and taking my time I finally had a full set of advanced cybernetic and bionic implants ready for Henry my colonists main combat monkey. (A Space Marine who'd defended the colony since day one and had his fair share of injuries, from a missing eye to stab wounds, bitten off toes, and torso burns.)

Right after he's anesthetized and the Space Navy doc had just finished installing his cyberware, the Mechanoid spy event pops, and my doc turns out to be the traitor.

With my only other functional colonist incapable of violence and unable to stop her, (The army cook had gone berserk a while back and was in lock up, and the janitor was fighting off a severe torso infection one bed over.) the doc easily starts fleeing, up until I remember I have the ability to force fire my turrets...

It was a long shot that the defense turrets would down the doc without killing her but they managed! And my single ambulatory colonist was able to rescue her and drag her back to the brig. It was at that point I noticed she'd been head shot and brain damaged, along with a missing leg, and was the only colonist with medical training. (The rest were around 4-7.)

Without her medical skill the colonist in the hospital never made it through the infection, and the Space Marines clumsy attempt at giving her a peg leg prosthetic nearly killing her, and doing nothing to fix her vegetative state, leaving just him and Brandy, the passive colonist who refused to cook.

Fast forward a couple weeks and one mechanoid raid later, (Which Henry held off valiantly despite the loss of most of the bases defense turrets) and the colony finds itself with the Space Marine turned cybernetic death machines clumsy attempt at making meals was giving continual food poisoning to  everyone; along with his lack of skill at growing or harvesting food ruining most the crops he tried to harvest anyway, resulting in a slow decline into starvation seemed the future of the colony, with the next raid offering a slim hope at sustenance. (Cannibalism is better that starvation at least.)

Unfortunately with only the terminator defending the fortress against 50+ raiders he was forced to fall back repeatedly even freeing the prisoner for some slim aid, until he stood alone, defending a brain dead doctor/spy against an inevitable wave of death as the colony burned to ashes around him, the bucking wood walls causing roof collapses that fortunately felled many an aggressor along with his deadly accurate charge rifle, before succumbing to the heat himself and perishing in the flames.

The brain dead doc miraculously survived albeit suffering from extreme heat stroke, and lingered on for several days while I hoped for a wandering colonist event to occur and save the day, but unfortunately she froze to death during a cold snap, leaving a mostly burned out shell of a colony and the slowly rusting hulk of Henry the space marine turned terminator at her side, a memorial to the fall of Defiance...

FMJ Penguin

Infections are pretty much always the start and end of my colonies. It aint very dramatic or interesting but it sure is reliable  >:(
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"