Recruiting prisoners

Started by slauenbach, August 04, 2015, 11:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slauenbach

I don't know if this is intentional but it is extremely difficult to recruit prisoners. I have 5 prisoners and i have the chance of 1-5% to recruit them. They're moods are all great but the chances never go up is this a bug or is that just how it is meant to be?

A Friend

First off, are they tribals? If so, Tribal recruitment difficulty usually sit along 95-99. They're pretty hard to recruit. Pirates are have lower difficulty. Ranging from 70-99. But is commonly around 80-90 though.

Second, Social skills greatly raises those chances so make sure you're using high social colonists. Even so, it will take quite a lot of tries to get a successful recruit. Just keep trying, you'll get 'em someday. If not... well, hats.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Jamini

You can't recruit everyone.

Honestly, what you should do with your prisoners really depends on your situation.

Do you have lots of enemies? Releasing prisoners grants you a substantial relations boost if they make it off the map. Sometimes this can be enough to push you into "Don't invade us" range for hostile tribals. This does not work for pirates factions and you should never release pirates.

Do you have lots of food and colonists? Trying to recruit tough prisoners can be fantastic training for your high-social colonists. A high social skill can get you hefty discounts with traders and improve how much mood bonus new prisoners get. Especially highly-skilled socialites can even get a small boost to the recruit percentage.

Do you need money? Selling organs and prisoners can net you a quick buck with a pirate merchant, assuming you can stand the morale loss. Alternatively you could arrange an "accident" (super-heating or cooling the room so the prisoner dies of hypothermia or heat stroke) and butcher the corpses. Human meat and leather sells for crap prices, but it does make good furniture and apparel!

Are you desperate for food? Long pork. (Note, anyone who doesn't have the cannibal trait will get a SUBSTANTIAL mood penalty from eating humans, and butchering a human gives a mood penalty to the butcher unless they are a psychopath or cannibal. It's less of a penalty than that for starvation or extreme hunger, but human meat is a meat of last resort for consuption. Penalties for eating human meat stack with penalties for eating raw food or nutrient paste.)

If you really, really need colonists then being extremely patient with high difficulty prisoners can yield results. Eventually. Just be mindful it will take time to recruit those 99 difficulty prisoners.

FridayBiology

one medpack is one organ.
one prisoner equals one kidney, one lung and one heart/liver.
organ removal is -4/-8 to colonists for six days (seems to be six days).
organs equal more than one medpack
after organ removal you can still release for faction buff.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

muffins

Just think of your prison as a dungeon, a place you just dump people and forget about them. As long as you keep feeding the nutrient paste hoppers your dungeon will yield a free colonist from time to time. You just have to be patient.

NemesisN

you can't expect to recruit immediately a 1% chance prisoner....its 1% for a reason....just be patient you will recruit him eventually...you will eventually hit that 1% but it takes time....maybe sooner maybe later depends on luck....its a dice....and odds are 1 to 99 to win...so be patient

or if you can't wait just harvest organs from him...might come in handy when one of your prisoners needs a transplant

I personally do not release anyone...they either join me or die...they were not that nice in the beginning when they started shooting at my people to kill them to deserve to go free
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

killer117

I just dont take prisoners. I just dont need them. I seem to get this outrageous number of wanderer events, and so now the map im currently playing has 9 people, only 1 who i captured and recruited. And only cause i just could pass up the stats. But if ur like me and u can afford to be picky, then dont capture most people, only those with amazing stats. And i just kill any downed enimies quickly, for some reason my guys keep feeding them. 
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

TLHeart

I throw all captures into prison... those that don't have brain injuries, or dementia, will be part of the colony, someday. Those brain dead, are used for organs.

Tribals are the most difficult to recruit, but some of them will have an 88%, which means a 12% chance to recruit with a good warden. That chance goes down by the skill of the warden.

Now it does depend on the size of the colony just how many prisoners the colony can feed, and house. I try and stay below a 50% prison population.

Grubfist

I tend to mark all prisoners to not receive food. So they either join or they starve. Colonists don't get upset over a prisoner starving to death.

Toggle

Quote from: Grubfist on August 04, 2015, 09:32:30 PM
I tend to mark all prisoners to not receive food. So they either join or they starve. Colonists don't get upset over a prisoner starving to death.

Ouch, what a waste though? You could harvest 3 organs and butcher em if you're going to let em die instead.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Cherna

I try to recruit them all, you don't have mood penalty for harvesting organs from colonists. Recruiting tribals take some time even with high-skilled wardens. And since those bastards attacked my colony I feed them with delicious raw meat of their fallen friends. That's the most profitable type of prison for me.

killer117

How do u change the food they can eat. I wanna stop them eating all my good packaged survival meals, but i dont know how
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

TLHeart

Quote from: killer117 on August 05, 2015, 04:56:29 PM
How do u change the food they can eat. I wanna stop them eating all my good packaged survival meals, but i dont know how

put a one cell stock pile in the room, set it to critical, and only put the simple meals in that stockpile.

FridayBiology

Quote from: TLHeart on August 05, 2015, 05:45:59 PM
Quote from: killer117 on August 05, 2015, 04:56:29 PM

put a one cell stock pile in the room, set it to critical, and only put the simple meals in that stockpile.

5x5 room unroofed with growing area (strawberrys) reduces prisoner care to recruiting rather then feeding and talking for some reason. This saves your colony from dealing with depressive or abrasive prisoners while you harvest organs or waiting to sell prisoner.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

fatwilf

You also need to check your warden's health tab

I wasn't recruiting anyone either then realised my main wardens "talking" skill was almost non existent due to brain and jaw injuries.