AI sees through walls

Started by NemesisN, July 29, 2015, 01:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

Considering pawns already can learn turret layout, applying this to base schematics would be doable. And while raiders automatically knowing the layout would be interesting, just imagine the chaos of them mining into a sealed scarab room,  thinking its your base. More possibilities are better in my opinion
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

zandadoum

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 29, 2015, 04:13:01 AM
As to how they know ? Spies. You get lots of visitors, don't you ?
^this is what i have been telling myself too

mumblemumble

This gets me thinking,  perhaps we should get forbidden zones for visitors? Would make sense you could have "residents only" signs... Would also solve visitors eating all the food,  and other issues.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

NemesisN

Quote from: mumblemumble on July 30, 2015, 06:08:35 AM
This gets me thinking,  perhaps we should get forbidden zones for visitors? Would make sense you could have "residents only" signs... Would also solve visitors eating all the food,  and other issues.

just shoot them on sight....that is what I do
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

Devon_v

You have complete satellite coverage of everything not surrounded by mountains the moment you land on the planet.

So do they.

OR:

You aren't aware of the thirty-two times they dug in the wrong place because they save scummed until they found your base.

NemesisN

Quote from: Devon_v on July 30, 2015, 01:41:18 PM
You have complete satellite coverage of everything not surrounded by mountains the moment you land on the planet.

So do they.

OR:

You aren't aware of the thirty-two times they dug in the wrong place because they save scummed until they found your base.

I am talking about inside the mountains which you don't know what is inside until you explore it and not the outside....they dig straight to a room that is located deep inside the mountain that they should not possibly know about that its there....but they somehow without any logic at all know...that is my point

I don't know about wrong places you are talking about but they dig a straight line direct into the room hidden inside the mountain...so they are 100% accurate....they somehow know where rooms are located...and you do not know what is located inside the mountain until you explore it...so that has no logic at all on how they know
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

winnsanity

Quote from: NemesisN on July 30, 2015, 05:30:57 PM
Quote from: Devon_v on July 30, 2015, 01:41:18 PM

So do they.

OR:

I am talking about inside the mountains which you don't know what is inside until you explore it and not the outside....they dig straight to a room that is located deep inside the mountain that they should not possibly know about that its there....but they somehow without any logic at all know...that is my point

I don't know about wrong places you are talking about but they dig a straight line direct into the room hidden inside the mountain...so they are 100% accurate....they somehow know where rooms are located...and you do not know what is located inside the mountain until you explore it...so that has no logic at all on how they know
Seems like a dream.  They are digging deep into your mountain.  You should have plenty of time to come up with a plan of attack.  Should be easy.  I just dont see the big deal here it s way better then having the same 2 attacks over and over again.  siege and raid. 

Segrog

Well then where would sappers dig if not into your base? Would they dig into a random rock?

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Segrog on July 30, 2015, 09:15:42 PM
Well then where would sappers dig if not into your base? Would they dig into a random rock?

Actually, that sounds hilarious.

"We've been digging for hours! Are you sure this is the right mountain?"
"Of course I'm sure! Look, I can see light. Let's just break this next one down and we're in!"

They break the last one and find themselves on the other side of a mountain, no base in sight.

More hilarious: They dig straight into a room full of sarcophagi and get killed by mechanoid guards.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Segrog

Or they dig and the ceiling collapses and rock blocks the door way so they starve to death while you laugh at them and then take their bodys and put them in your trophy room.

JesterBlue

The last time I was visited by some sapper, they were spawned on the other side of a rock cliff and start digging straight through it. The hole is way off my base and by the time they pop out the other side, they are already starved and mentally broken.

I think it's the pathfinding ability of the sapper (lol) they just path straight to a part of your base regardless of the time it take and the lulz happen. Least threatening raider ever.

NemesisN

they should dig around the main wall that you put where your entry for colony is....they can know where the colony base is because there is a wall in front with turrets....and not dig somewhere far away from that and dig straight in into a hidden room and not even try to go behind the main wall....they just know where a room deep inside the mountain is which is far away from the main wall

NemesisN

Quote from: NemesisN on July 31, 2015, 07:09:41 AM

they should dig around the main wall that you put where your entry for colony is....they can know where the colony base is because there is a wall in front with turrets....and not dig somewhere far away from that and dig straight in into a hidden room and not even try to go behind the main wall....they just know where a room deep inside the mountain is which is far away from the main wall

here is a screenshoot example of what I am talking about

Kegereneku

Welcome to anti-Killbox measures...

Easy to rationalize your picture. The Raiders clearly saw that you had a lot of fortification and that going straight would be suicide, so they wanted to build a tunnel that went around it.
Luckily for them, it turn out you had a room here and it didn't took long.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Kegereneku on July 31, 2015, 02:10:23 PM
Welcome to anti-Killbox measures...

Easy to rationalize your picture. The Raiders clearly saw that you had a lot of fortification and that going straight would be suicide, so they wanted to build a tunnel that went around it.
Luckily for them, it turn out you had a room here and it didn't took long.

This sums it up.  We wont ever have an AI capable of making human level decisions in this game so give up on that.  For now the best solution is to have something that isnt senselessly random in its direction but not running into the guns.  For now what we got is fine.  Could maybe get some tweaking but ultimately it wont ever be perfect. 

In principal I do agree that the AI shouldnt know where our base is if its hidden under a mountain.  After all we dont know about the hidden areas even if we can see the rest of the map.