Windows 10

Started by Coenmcj, July 29, 2015, 09:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coenmcj

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it here.
I noticed there was one small, itty bitty problem with windows 10 that would stop me from using it like I do Windows 8, The Auto update and the inability to turn it off or atleast let you choose when to download like in previous renditions of Windows.

So I did some surfing and found a trick to fix that problem
https://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/
Hope this helps someone! I know there are a few people with really shoddy internet around on the forums here! :)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

ctgill

But how does Rimworld run on it? :D
Yes. Yes, this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "This Land.".

Coenmcj

I'd like to know that myself, I'm feeling like moving over but still not too sure how it runs with games like Rimworld or other indies.

deadlydullahan

Quote from: Coenmcj on July 30, 2015, 07:12:54 PM
I'd like to know that myself, I'm feeling like moving over but still not too sure how it runs with games like Rimworld or other indies.

Like most newly released games I feel the best option is to let it sit and watch how windows 10 plays out for now; no life-threatning rush to switch over to windows 10 right away  ;D

Coenmcj

Quote from: deadlydullahan on July 30, 2015, 08:02:07 PM
Quote from: Coenmcj on July 30, 2015, 07:12:54 PM

Like most newly released games I feel the best option is to let it sit and watch how windows 10 plays out for now; no life-threatning rush to switch over to windows 10 right away  ;D
Aye, playing the waiting game seems like the best course of action at the moment. Kinda hoping it becomes clear sooner rather than Later.

I'm sure there's atleast a handful of people (Tynan included, atleast with a virtualization) that have grabbed it already, if there's problems I'm sure there'll be signs.

TheGentlmen

Just installed W10... It was painful, the Free Upgrade thing was bugged so I had to create an Install Media(Whatever that is), then it wouldn't let me upgrade... cause it wouldn't :'( something about not enough HD space, despite having 800 GB left. So I gave up, then when I was watching a video it randomly decided to interrupt me so it can install W10 (What? You said I don't have enough HD Space!). It Kept jamming while Installing. After 13 Attempt it finally installed.

I installed W10 for 1 thing, Cortana. Then I discover its not available in Canada  >:(

Atleast it didn't format my HD... That was the MOST buggy install ever. I wouldn't be supersized if it did format my HD.

On a happier note Rimworld still works  :)

Coenmcj

Quote from: TheGentlmen on August 03, 2015, 06:15:27 PM
Just installed W10... It was painful, the Free Upgrade thing was bugged so I had to create an Install Media(Whatever that is), then it wouldn't let me upgrade... cause it wouldn't :'( something about not enough HD space, despite having 800 GB left. So I gave up, then when I was watching a video it randomly decided to interrupt me so it can install W10 (What? You said I don't have enough HD Space!). It Kept jamming while Installing. After 13 Attempt it finally installed.

I installed W10 for 1 thing, Cortana. Then I discover its not available in Canada  >:(

Atleast it didn't format my HD... That was the MOST buggy install ever. I wouldn't be supersized if it did format my HD.

Ouch, hope you don't run into any more kinks. Sounds like that was super frustrating for you.
surely there's a fix for Cortana though? Didn't think it would lock you out just because you live in Canada. :/

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Coenmcj on August 03, 2015, 09:19:35 PM

Ouch, hope you don't run into any more kinks. Sounds like that was super frustrating for you.
surely there's a fix for Cortana though? Didn't think it would lock you out just because you live in Canada. :/

I've got to either wait for it to come to Canada or set my region to US. I'm gonna try setting it to the US but judging from how stable it was I will probably experience no bugs.

Coenmcj

Quote from: TheGentlmen on August 03, 2015, 10:35:04 PM
Quote from: Coenmcj on August 03, 2015, 09:19:35 PM

I've got to either wait for it to come to Canada or set my region to US. I'm gonna try setting it to the US but judging from how stable it was I will probably experience no bugs.
Yeah, might want to wait a bit, maybe try it in a weeks time If they haven't patched it by then. Switching regions can lead to a few unforseen issues, Like region locked Product ID's and stuff.

skullywag

Deffo worth waiting a few months for the kinks to get ironed out.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

milon

Quote from: skullywag on August 04, 2015, 03:31:32 AM
Deffo worth waiting a few months for the kinks to get ironed out.

That's my feeling too.  I'm a Win7 guy, and I upgraded a backup PC to Win10.  Ugly, ugly UI.  But my install experience was quite smooth.

For anyone who is going to upgrade to Win10, here's how to find your license after the upgrade:
http://forums.hexus.net/windows/342473-how-retrieve-your-win10-key.html