Your attack squads/layout

Started by Dartonian, July 30, 2015, 06:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dartonian

Whenever I play, I have a squad of 5 or so snipers and another of 5 or so survival rifles. I find myself losing a lot, so I want to update my style. Tell me your styles of attack

ctgill

Take the one colonist you wont mind losing put the best shield you can find for him. Use it. Armor, helmet, use it.

Now take your best shots and note the ranges on their guns. Move them to cover at their max ranges (or within 2-3 blocks of it, prioritize cover > max range) (You can move back cover to force the enemy from theirs, the AI is aggressive like that)

Now use your shielded up colonist that you won't mind losing because they have a mood disorder or are abrasive, or always seem to be having a breakdown. Whatever have you, maybe they scare the children. Doesn't matter. Dance them around from cover to cover while your good shots with ranged weapons do the rest. If the enemy group has brawlers, you brawl right back or prioritize shots on them.

I've found that a trigger happy with any form of mini gun even shoddy quality is great just for getting damage out.

I usually take my best shot (so long as he doesnt have issue with bionics) and slowly turn him into the million silver man. Get him the best rifle money can buy. Soon you'll have a guy plinking off raiders 1 shot at a time.
Yes. Yes, this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "This Land.".

winnsanity

flanking is the way to go.  Notice how the raiders split up now.  Thats the best way to go about it.  2 to 4 small groups if you have enough colonists.  hide behind rocks wall or sand bags it really dont make a big difference.  easy way to take them out is have them come to you.  just set up you defenses ahead of time.  I like to put 3x3 concrete floors under my Turrets incase they get destroyed I can easily tell which ones need replaced.

TheSilencedScream

Use a mix.

All rifles, I wouldn't recommend - they've got distance, but they take a long time to fire. I'd recommend 2-3 snipers/survival rifles, and then give the rest shotguns, pistols, or ARs. Keep them spread out (it's annoying for someone to dodge a bullet that winds up hitting someone else instead), move them around. Don't be afraid to pause and give multiple commands - with the pawns not moving of their own accord, don't set yourself up for failure by trying to move them in real time.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

TLHeart

2 or 3 shield wearing brawlers, out in front of the fire crew, armed with 2 or 3 snipers, careful shooters, backed up by AR's. The AI will target the front brawlers, keep an eye on their shields, have them fall back one at a time as their shields energy drops.... Move another brawler forward, and let the bullets fly... just keep the brawlers to the side of the firing lines of your assault team. 

keylocke

i generally use 4 squads now :

squad 1 : careful shooter / snipers : [main squad], cyborg them up and give them 1 powerclaw each. and since i send these guys out to hunt and attack the most often, i give them first dibs on the best set of bionics, armors, and clothes. they're very versatile and can be used to provoke enemies towards an ambush or hit & run tactics. get at least 6 of these guys, and you're golden. force fire every 3 snipers to one target to avoid wasting shots on overkill.

squad 2 : trigger happy / burst fire weapons : [ambush squad], cyborg them up and give them 1 powerclaw each. i just use these guys as backups for my sniper squad against large raids. i usually give these guys miniguns (or any high dps burst guns available), enemies caught in the crossfire between squad 1 & 2 tend to be deadmeat. ALWAYS aim for rockets, grenadiers, and molotovs first, but try to follow the "3 man, 1 target" to avoid overkills. and if any brawler manages to get in melee range, just mob them with powerclaws.

squad 3 : brawler / swordsmen : [bait & guard ninjas], cyborg them up but no need for powerclaws. give them personal shields. i generally leave these guys to protect the base along with the minigunners. i only use my full army when dealing with large raids. i also usually use these guys to attack sappers who managed to get inside the base or to any enemy that decides to knock on my doors, since i favor melee for indoor fighting to avoid friendly fire. they're also great against wargs due to door exploits, targeting exploits, doomstack exploit. they're also good for bait and flanking ninja tactics, as well as chasing down fleeing enemies.

squad 4 : none-of-the-above/grenadiers : [suicide bombers] 1 with emp, 1 with molotov, the rest will use frag grenades. cyborg them up and give them 1 powerclaw each. everyone gets personal shields. i generally use them as alternative bait instead of my brawlers. they're also not that useful until you get around 6 of these guys (4 frags) for some hit&run "carpet bombing". just sneak them to a good spot, drop the shield, carpet bomb, pick shield back up, flee. rinse and repeat. too much micromanagement coz of the shield drop/pickup, but it's hard to get them in range without shields. i don't use these guys that much, but they're fun to have once you get about half a dozen of them. very great when used as an ambush against a doomstack of slow moving centipedes (then letting the snipers finish the mechs off) or flanking enemies that are hiding behind cover, they're also great for carpet bombing evil ships. i also use these guys to man the mortars. (1 emp, 1 incendiary, the rest are normal mortars)

--------

as for target priority, i usually follow these :

mechs : scyther > incendiary > charge > mini
raiders : rocket > grenadiers > brawlers > snipers > burst
tribals : brawlers > pilas > bows