Cryosleep Changes? Blue Line & Sleep Timer

Started by Vas, July 31, 2015, 06:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which ideas here do you like? (You can vote on both ideas if you want)

I like the blue line idea.
15 (78.9%)
I like the sleep timer idea.
16 (84.2%)
I don't like either idea. (Post why)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Vas

First off, I think this should be default in the game, is the blue line.
You know how a downed colonist has a red line through their name in the overview?  I think colonists in crysleep should have a blue line instead.  Showing you what colonists can't do anything because they are frozen.
(Possibly even a green line for those "resting" from sickness, but that's another topic)

Second, I'd like to see cryosleep chambers with timers.  The ship sleep chambers let you eject sleepers without anyone outside them to eject them, which is semi unrealistic however it's fine I guess.  But it would be nice if you could put a sleeper into cryosleep for 3 days, or specify he'll come out in 3 months, 1 game year, 5 game years.  Then, if you put everyone into cryosleep for a duration, none can come out till that duration has passed, or a wanderer joins and you use him to eject them.  This could be used for an issue where suddenly you have a food crisis and need to wait for stuff to grow.  Or during a toxic fallout, you can put everyone to sleep safely during the toxic fallout.  Or winters when you live in a cold region so cold you can't even heat your base where it's -200 outside.

Maybe a timer cryosleep pod should require small amounts of power.  I think they should all take small amounts of power to keep someone frozen but yea, anyway.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

JimmyAgnt007

How is a timer unrealistic?  Isnt that how most people would do it if they could?  Futurama had timers!

As for power, yes because literal freezing doesnt work for keeping people alive.  Stasis slows down time to a stop and the cold helps preserve body functions.  Let us build the ship reactor indoors (and give us more power) and the stasis vault will run forever.

Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed

Yes! I love this idea!

I've actually had that very same thought, with regards to having some kind of timer, ever since I stumbled upon a cryosleep room full of ancient pods, and had to put a very sick colonist in one of them, for de-frosting at a later date. I love the roleplay element behind it, of maybe losing the entire base to an invasion, and having one guy left with no way to fight them off, stumbling wounded to the cryo-pods, sealing himself in so that perhaps when his long slumber is over he is safe to rebuild. Or even being awoken by a person from a random event several centuries into the future, where the world has changed and overgrown, or the colony has been turned to ruins, or something cool like that. I think this would add an extremely cool element to the game that would feel very natural for it, given that you can already have colonists that have a separate chronological age, resulting from prior long-term stasis.

Segrog

You should need an AI core for the timed cryptosleep baskets.

Quote from: Segrog on July 31, 2015, 05:24:28 PM

That seems a bit excessive

Segrog

Segrog

Because during winter, toxic fallouts and stuff like that you could just go into sleep and skip them. Maybe you could just build 1 cryptosleep control panel and hook it up to the baskets? I think having 1 ai core for each one would be too much. Of course the risk would be raiders coming and fucking your shit up while in sleep mode.

Quote from: Segrog on August 01, 2015, 03:27:06 AM
Because during winter, toxic fallouts and stuff like that you could just go into sleep and skip them. Maybe you could just build 1 cryptosleep control panel and hook it up to the baskets? I think having 1 ai core for each one would be too much. Of course the risk would be raiders coming and fucking your shit up while in sleep mode.

I think needing something as high-tier as an AI core is a bit contrived. If someone wants to seal their colony away for the winter, I say that's a perfectly reasonable strategy, if they're willing to risk leaving their base dormant and undefended for that period of time. Getting the caskets alone is an effort in itself.

FridayBiology

+1 to timers,

I'd probably over lap each colonists (1:2 outside for a day or two during summer and winter) so that i could defend against attack and do daily maintenance.
Balancing, Maybe colonist coming out of deep freezer suffer movement debuff until core body temp is up (1-2 days)? maybe with tissue damage chance if pod is activated before sufficient time for restocking of coolant and chemicals?
plus frequent usage produces wear and tear :P
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

RemingtonRyder

They do have a chance to suffer from sickness when waking from cryptosleep.

zandadoum

i think timers are unrealistic.

you can't just pop out a cryo chamber yourself. that's pure sci-fi out of movies.

when you come out of cryo you are sick and can barely move yourself. also: ingame, many people put only sick people into cryo, they don't get magically cured when they come out.

so, there needs to be someone on the outside

actually, i would rather suggest this change:

- anyone can put someone into a chamber
- but only medics with +5 skill can open them

Segrog

The unrealistic  argument is the worst argument of them all.

Vas

I haven't noticed this post in a while, so lemme reply in order.
First thing, Segrog, your signature is so bad I have to adblock it.  Liturally, I just did.  Don't add signatures that are specifically intended to hurt people's eyes.

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on July 31, 2015, 08:43:40 AMHow is a timer unrealistic?  Isnt that how most people would do it if they could?  Futurama had timers!
I wasn't saying sleep timers are unrealistic, I was saying letting you eject anyone without anyone around is unrealistic.  A timer would fix that.
Also to your other idea, I don't like infinite power devices that have no fuel source of some kind.  Geothermal uses the thermal energy of the planet.  Solar uses the sun.  Turbines use the Wind.

Quote from: Segrog on July 31, 2015, 05:24:28 PM
Maybe not an AI core but something similar, yes.  AI cores are so exceedingly rare in the game that it would be impractical.  Just one of them gets you off the planet after all.  You could construct a timer or microchip for the pod though to make it work with timers.  AI cores are also considered extremely powerful.  A timer is a basic device that sends a signal when the cycle hits zero.

Quote from: Segrog on August 01, 2015, 03:27:06 AM
Raiders don't only destroy your "stuff", they would kill you too, as in destroy the crysleep while you're in it, and you die without ever waking up again.  You die in a fiery explosion before you even defrosted.  So that's a big enough reason to not sleep for long periods likean entire toxic winter.  The game summons raiders often enough that it would be dangerous.
Really, Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed has some good points.  The risk is already there without needing AI cores.

Quote from: zandadoum on August 05, 2015, 03:57:03 AM
when you come out of cryo you are sick and can barely move yourself. also: ingame, many people put only sick people into cryo, they don't get magically cured when they come out.
Fry didn't come out sick! The first thing he needed to do was zip up his pants because Bender had gone back in time and pulled them down to stick the secret of time travel on his ass and the other Fry pulled them up but didn't zip them while he was in the same freezer so he could reset the time to another 7ish years when the first Fry woke up. :P

You already come out of cryosleep disoriented and slown down and stuff, but it depends on the quality of the pod if you need medical assistance after it.  Perhaps simply requiring a packaged survival meal to be taken in with you into the chamber and it drains your hunger bar to absolute zero so you have to stop and eat immediately after you come out.  Now that idea I support.

I mostly want the blue line to tell when a colonist is in cryosleep though.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.