Where can I get electronic chips for geothermal power?

Started by CheckSix, August 02, 2015, 02:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheckSix

I need electronic chips to build a geothermal power plant, but I can't find them in any research tree (or mention that if you research this particular subject, you can make electronic chips). It might be that I have not yet researched the necessary branch that will eventually lead to another research skill that will enable me to manufacture the chips.

Can anyone tell me what I need to research and if I will also need to research a particular "work bench" to manufacture them? I plan only one Geothermal generator (at this early stage) so I only need 50 chips. Is there any other use for them?

Should I consider buying them from a trader? At this stage, trading seems "broken" (I decide what goods I want, pay for them, but I get no delivery...I should mention I am only dealing with nomadic traders...I'm not researched enough to trade with passing ships - can anyone ALSO explain why trading appears to be broken?).

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Don't sweat the petty things
And don't pet the sweaty things.

Zork

what crafting mods are you using? In vanilla game you only need steel for a geothermal generator :P

Daketh

If you're using Superior Crafting, Electronic Chips are made at the Smithing Table and take Sand and Silver to craft them. To unlock the Smithing table, you need to research Crafting III.

If you're using Complete Overhaul or Hardcore, I would guess it's something similar as they are based on SC to some extent, but I'm not sure exactly where to find them.

Hope that helps!

CheckSix

Zork,

Thanks for your reply.
I placed this question in the Mods section of Ludeon Forums because I am playing "Modded" Rimworld (Ultimate Overhaul), not the vanilla version (well, I am also playing the vanilla version, but as you mentioned, no other material except steel is required to build a geothermal generator in vanilla).

Daketh, 

Thanks for your reply as well. I think it answers my question (I'm stuck at work and unable to check the Research menu until I get home), but I'm sure it will lead me in the correct direction. I don't think I'm up to "Crafting III" yet, but hope to be soon (I captured a Level 19 researcher with medical skills of 18. Blew her leg off, but hey, she was attacking us with her friends! I built a simple prosthetic table, gave her a peg leg and recruited her).
Don't sweat the petty things
And don't pet the sweaty things.

Endovior

Quote from: CheckSix on August 03, 2015, 05:29:21 AMI placed this question in the Mods section of Ludeon Forums because I am playing "Modded" Rimworld (Ultimate Overhaul)

In UO, you need Silver and Silicon to make Electronic Chips. Silicon is made from Sand at the Electric Smelter; Sand is made from stone Chunks at the Craftsman's Table (or the auto version of the same).

You also need the tech for it; Electronics was changed recently to tree off the M&Co techs, so you need Crafting III, and the Integrated Circuits tech that trees off it it, to make the Electronics Workbench on which you craft the chips.