Rimworld Alpha 12/1.0

Started by TwixFunSize, August 04, 2015, 11:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwixFunSize

If you have been following the Rimworld Change log, you know that Tynan and his crew have been adding a lot of content,Without letting up at all, Which is just awesome! This question is mostly directed to Tynan, but does anyone know how much content we can expect for Rimworld Alpha13/ 1.0 Compared to other Alphas?
Thanks!

Mr.Cross

My guess is quite a bit, this of course is just going off of the change log. Between the updated trading interface, and the husbandry that is quite a bit already. And I must say I'm loving every bit of what they are letting us know as of know.
Claims to know most things.

zidey

Sorry for being stupid but why are you calling it 1.0? I don't follow the forums really so I may have missed summat.

picollo

I guess it might be due to Tynan's plan to do steam release, and make RimWorld leave alpha status.
But some time ago plans changed, and if nothing changed, it will be just Alpha 13.

DNK

Last I checked A13 wasn't going to be a "1.0" release, just another alpha, and it would be pretty rapid to go from alpha to final in 2 releases, though it could happen given how stable the current builds have been and how much content is already there (though many will complain about the price with such content). I would guess there are at least 4-8 more alpha build releases before beta, then probably a couple betas to do some final passes on content and significant rebalancing, then finally a half dozen release candidates to get rock solid stability and polishing, before we get a final 1.0. That would be a typical schedule anyway.

But I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how much more time there is for development, perhaps not even Tynan, who seems to take the view of "when I want to stop, I'll stop". Which is the ultimate answer to your question: as much as Tynan can put in before he decides to move on to a new project.

Also Steam release has "early access", which implies alpha. It doesn't require a final version to get on Steam.

Tynan

You're looking two versions ahead, which is two more than I usually am willing to guess at. So I don't really know. I'm afraid this is another case where the FAQ answer applies.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TwixFunSize

Oh! Oops! I meant Rimworld Alpha 12! my bad! I was wondering if Alpha 12 would have a lot more content compared to other Alphas! Sorry!

Tynan

Quote from: TwixFunSize on August 05, 2015, 09:05:33 PM
Oh! Oops! I meant Rimworld Alpha 12! my bad! I was wondering if Alpha 12 would have a lot more content compared to other Alphas! Sorry!

It's going to be a monster.

Jaxxa

I hope we get it before you go on your (well deserved) break.

Devon_v

The plan changed. Steam isn't going to be Early Access, it's going to be a retail release. There was a huge argument thread, but basically putting it on Steam as "done" will curtail a certain level of whining from Steamites when the game doesn't get patched every week since Tynan will be on vacation. Believe me, Space Engineers DOES get patched every week and they whine and complain all the time.

Things here will proceed as normal even with the game being called "1.0", while the Steamites can just act all happy when they get a "bonus content patch".

And technically the only difference between Alpha and Beta is whether the game is complete, which Rimworld both is and isn't.

TheSilencedScream

It'll be significant, but it's also likely going to be next year or so, I'd imagine. With Tynan's planned time off, I've actually stepped away from the game (and the changelog) almost entirely. I don't want to see here pining for something that's not going to be available any time soon.

...Tynan, are you back from break yet?  ;D
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Tynan

To clarify, Steam will most likely be early access. There's still more I want to do on the game.

I'm hoping to get A12 out this summer. Working on it. We might be able to make it. It just depends on the degree of bugginess and design problems that testers find. The features are 95% finished.

StorymasterQ

Idea, what if you set A12 to be the last Alpha...but then the next one is Beta 1?

But that's just me pandering people with triskaidekaphobia.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Jaxxa

The issue that weather software is Alpha or Beta is supposed to mean something.

Specifically when something is Beta it is feature complete, meaning that new things are not being added, as this is not the case with Rimworld it would be inaccurate to call it Beta.

This is going off the original technical definitions, with the internet, post release patches, downloadable content and early access, these definitions have gotten a lot more blurred and less useful.

Also if we are pandering to people with phobia's then I think triskaidekaphobia would probably be lower on the list of phobias to worry about in Rimworld. What about a phobia of being burned alive, or being kept in a dark room then eaten by cannibals.

isistoy

Looks like we are gonna soon have some work to do :)
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>