Omni Gel and its uses

Started by CheckSix, August 06, 2015, 02:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheckSix

I am new to Modded Rimworld, and have just got my first harvest of Omni Gel (I just bought a bunch of various types of seeds 'cos they feed the colony).

Looking here on the Forum, it seems that people might be making weapons from them.
The information I get from the game itself is "Omni Gel - For refining into things".

Just WHAT can Omni Gel be refined into? What sort of crafting level do I need to research to? (I've already researched to Crafting Level III, maybe it is another "Branch" of research I need to do - I've also done "Primitive" and "Modern" weapon crafting). What sort of Crafting Bench do I need to utilise this substance?

Any help will be gratefully received, and thanks in advance.
Don't sweat the petty things
And don't pet the sweaty things.

Jaxxa

You don't say specifically, but I am assuming you are using a modpack because of your references to some of the researches.

I cant help you with the specifics of that pack and what you need to research, but I can tell you how it worked in my original OmniGel module that I made.

You had research for "Mark 1 Replicator" then mark 2 and 3. These unlocked different crafting benches similarly named. These allower you to create things from OmniGel.

MK1 allowed you to make Slag and Rock chunks, that you could then refine further using the existing crafting in the stock game.
Mk2 allowed you to make Steel and stone blocks directly, also silver.
Mk3 Allowed you to create more advanced things like Uranium, Gold, Plasteel, Medicine, shells.

See if you can find a Replicator crafting bench or research, if you are still stuck feel free to send me a link to the specific modpack you are using and I can have a look through the code to see what they changed tomorrow.

CheckSix

Jaxxa,

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for taking the time to make some great mods for us to enjoy.

I'm using the Ultimate Overhaul Mod Pack, and quite inexperienced, as I'm in my first "modded" colony. It's amazing the things you can research, and amazing when you think of what is "free" in vanilla Rimworld (that is to say "available" without having to research its use.
Don't sweat the petty things
And don't pet the sweaty things.

Endovior

In the UO pack, only the Mark 1 Replicator works, but Omni Gel can also be refined into Gunpowder, which is the key component of all artillery shells (and there's a lot of powerful modded turrets that need special ammo).

Jaxxa

From looking at the xml it looks like you need to Research:

Crafting III -> Crafting IV -> Mark 1 Replicator

Then you can build the Mark 1 Matter Replicator to make Slag and rocks.