How to deal with cold snap/heat wave

Started by PyschoPath, August 09, 2015, 07:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PyschoPath

i cant keep my rooms cold/hot enough and my colonists die because of it, plz help.

Note: sorry for the mass questions on the forums, i started playing again recently and i am very bad :/

muffins

Cold snap - heaters in rooms, or heaters in passageways with vents linking the passageway to the rooms you want to keep warm. A passageway or a room with lots of doors will leak heat out quite fast so will need more heaters.

Heat wave - Air-conditioners/coolers. Use them just like you would with a walk-in chiller/freezer except have some method of pumping the heat to the outside.

Airlocks are also great for keeping warm/cooled air where you want it (basically they're just door-space-door which slows leaking right down).

PyschoPath

Quote from: muffins on August 09, 2015, 07:11:41 PM
Cold snap - heaters in rooms, or heaters in passageways with vents linking the passageway to the rooms you want to keep warm. A passageway or a room with lots of doors will leak heat out quite fast so will need more heaters.

Heat wave - Air-conditioners/coolers. Use them just like you would with a walk-in chiller/freezer except have some method of pumping the heat to the outside.

Airlocks are also great for keeping warm/cooled air where you want it (basically they're just door-space-door which slows leaking right down).

I don't quite get what you mean by that,can you show me a screenshot of a working system? And i appreciate all the help you have given me :D

VPineault

And how exactly am I supposed to deal with a Solar Flare happening at the same time as a heat Stroke. Brace I suppose ?

Mr.Cross

If that happens you can only hope they don't die in a day....
Claims to know most things.

Coenmcj

Quote from: VPineault on August 09, 2015, 07:55:58 PM
And how exactly am I supposed to deal with a Solar Flare happening at the same time as a heat Stroke. Brace I suppose ?
Well... Like the song!
"It's getting hot in here -~.."
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

TheDirge

Burn baby burn...Colony inferno...Burn baby burn

zandadoum

reload previous save and hope to get a different event than solar flare

b0rsuk

Clothes can make temperature almost pointless.

Parkas are the best for keeping colonists warm, although they have -20% work speed penalty. If you don't have them, you can craft some tuques (hats) very quickly, they need little cloth. Jackets are also good against cold. And make sure each colonists has both pants and a shirt.

For dealing with heat, dusters are great. Like parkas, they are expensive to make, but they have much smaller penalties and give better protection against bullets. Cowboy hats help too.

cultist

If you're not prepared for it when the cold snap/heat wave comes, a quick solution is to just force pawns into one room that has a desirable temperature (your food storage for heat waves for instance). Keep them there until they lose the negative effect, then you can send them back out for a while. It's a bit of micromanagement and the colonists waste time doing it, but you should be able to keep everyone alive while you think of a better solution.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: cultist on August 10, 2015, 03:09:47 PM-Snippets of Cultists solution-
This is what I do until I have enough metal to do what needs to be done.

Also, I figure I should point out. your picture is of Ka-Chu-Chu (reference to a pair of youtubers.) also known as Chathulu right (and yes i don't know if I spelled it correctly.)?

cultist

Quote from: Mr.Cross on August 10, 2015, 04:13:10 PM
Quote from: cultist on August 10, 2015, 03:09:47 PM-Snippets of Cultists solution-
This is what I do until I have enough metal to do what needs to be done.

Also, I figure I should point out. your picture is of Ka-Chu-Chu (reference to a pair of youtubers.) also known as Chathulu right (and yes i don't know if I spelled it correctly.)?
Don't worry about it, our feeble human tongues are incapable of pronouncing the glory that is the name of the Great Lord Cthulhu. :-X

Mr.Cross