Exploiting Man Hunter Packs.

Started by userfredle, August 08, 2015, 06:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

userfredle

Hey guys so we all know man hunters have different coding from raiders which makes them act is strange ways.

For instance, say you have your turret defense outside your base and the wargs are attacking your turrets, You can just stick your head out the door and they will forget all about the turrets, Repeating this action will result in infinite dead dogs while no turrets take a scratch.

Any ideas on how we could fix this? making them sticky on turrets i feel would make them more raider-ish, but it seems to be the only option for making them not a joke with any colony that has a turret

b0rsuk

The pack could assign some wargs to handle the turrets. If a turret shoots at a warg, the warg doesn't forgive or forget.

userfredle

Thats a pretty good idea, it is exploitable from the other end as colonists can shoot them down while they focus on turret but that doesnt matter as thats what raiders do anyway.

zandadoum

how about:

1) when a warg goes on a target, it should not switch target until it's dead. unless the target becomes invalid (like a colonist going inside)
2) a warg should not stop attacking a turrent just because the player turned it off remotely
3) a warg pack should learn, after the first explosion, that turrets blow up, and stay away from them when they make starting "that weird noise" and sparkles

TLHeart

or actually make wargs act like animals, that avoid inanimate objects like turrets, and only attack anything that is meat to eat. And not stop when the victim goes down, but actually kill and eat everything on the map.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: TLHeart on August 08, 2015, 08:08:53 PM-Snippets from TLHeart-
Then they should be made not to aggro turrets, as that would be rather unfair. Either that or skirt around the turret's LOS unless they are baited in with a colonist/stranger and would immediately retreat when the pawn was dead or enough damage was inflicted for them to retreat to a safe distance.
Claims to know most things.

Oashe

I agree they shouldn't attack turrets but rather try to avoid them and attack pawns when they have the advantage. It would be interesting to have them try to attack colonists/raiders/visitors that aren't well protected or alone or hurt. With the animal husbandry elements that are in the works I think this could create some neat game play. Packs of wargs randomly roaming through the map going after targets of opportunity. Such as your livestock, an injured hunter, or that raider with a peg leg it would be another danger to have to watch out for between raids. Make them more aggressive if there aren't many natural prey species on the map such as it being winter or you killed all the other animals on the map for food.

Just my thought on it, it would be similar to how predators act to real life though with an obviously more extreme edge to it. As the wargs are now unless you only have one or two turrets and a couple of colonists they're free meat/leather. Particularly in the winter with snow on the ground.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: Oashe on August 08, 2015, 11:33:47 PM-Snippet of a quote-

Definitely would be something to see, and try to counter!
Claims to know most things.

Mrshilka

Colonist with 2 Bionic legs and a good shield>

Have them in front of you other people and or Turrets.
Wait til every Warg want to kill him and then micro running him in a large enough circle you can avoid the wargs ever getting into melee distance with you.
Have turrets/other Colonists blaze away at the Wargs till they are all dead.
Or use same setup with a single colonist with grenades and micro the grenade throw so the Wargs run over it as it explodes.
I have Personally done this 2 man with raids over over 300 Wargs and only taken 3 nades to finish them all off.

mumblemumble

For the turrets, i recommend them splitting on 2 hostile targets. For the running colonists,  make them assault threats over runners, assuming they don't have enough for both
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

zandadoum

Quote from: TLHeart on August 08, 2015, 08:08:53 PM
or actually make wargs act like animals, that avoid inanimate objects like turrets, and only attack anything that is meat to eat. And not stop when the victim goes down, but actually kill and eat everything on the map.
you haven't seen much discovery channel, hum?

an animal will attack anything that is a threat to them, doesn't matter if inamitate or meat.
in any case, if not attack, at least flee from it.

IRL a hyena would probably run away from a shooting turret, while a wolf might actually go and try to "fight" it. but ignore it completely while it is dealing damage to the animal? ain't gonna happen. not a single animal in the world would just stand there while being shot.

TLHeart

I know how wolves react to inanimate objects, or are shot from a distance, and only wounded, they do not charge what attacked them, then run and hide. Real life experience, not a propaganda discovery channel show.

It is terrible game design in my opinion to have the wargs attack turrets, makes them just another meat delivery system, and no threat to a colony. And even if a colonist gets caught by a warg attack, they ONLY down the colonist, they do not kill and eat the colonist... You can rescue and heal that colonist up.

keylocke

just flipping a power switch to turn turrets on/off to "pingpong" wargs back and forth, is usually enough to deal with wargs.

the real "exploit" for wargs is trapping them in a room and then unleashing them towards enemy raids by using pingpong tactics to entrap them in a room and careful door placement. (the larger the room the better)

also, i still like the melee distraction tactic against wargs, since it's a great opportunity to power train your brawlers.

xlockeed

Quote from: TLHeart on August 09, 2015, 06:57:14 PM
I know how wolves react to inanimate objects, or are shot from a distance, and only wounded, they do not charge what attacked them, then run and hide. Real life experience, not a propaganda discovery channel show.

It is terrible game design in my opinion to have the wargs attack turrets, makes them just another meat delivery system, and no threat to a colony. And even if a colonist gets caught by a warg attack, they ONLY down the colonist, they do not kill and eat the colonist... You can rescue and heal that colonist up.

Heavily-muscled wolf-like creatures. Scientists say wargs are the descendants of weaponized military animals created for population suppression. The superstitious see them as the tools of an angry god. Straight from rimworld wiki.

They can tear apart your colonist and kill them out right. It would be neat if they ate the fallen and leave behind a few articles of nearly destroyed clothing behind. On a final note, it's a game people. Instead of debating the logic behind an event, why not create a thread in suggestions on how to improve said event.

Edit - Oh look a thread was created. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14073.0
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.