Traits

Started by Zeiph, October 07, 2013, 03:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeiph

"Leaked" in the playthrough videos is some kind of trait system for character creation. This topic is as much a question to Ty as it is a discussion topic for other interested people like I am ^^.

Has the traits system a current use other than the simple storytelling purpose or do they have a passive effect (hidden effect?)? Is it planned?

Yarkista

Quote from: Zeiph on October 07, 2013, 03:21:26 PM
"Leaked" in the playthrough videos is some kind of trait system for character creation. This topic is as much a question to Ty as it is a discussion topic for other interested people like I am ^^.

Has the traits system a current use other than the simple storytelling purpose or do they have a passive effect (hidden effect?)? Is it planned?

It is a confirmed feature, lopk at lets plays and you'll see that they have an effect.

Lock thread?

Conti027

Quote from: Yarkista on October 07, 2013, 03:45:00 PM

It is a confirmed feature, lopk at lets plays and you'll see that they have an effect.

Lock thread?

Why lock? This will be a great thread to talk about Traits and Ideas.

Zeiph

That was actually the meaning of this thread, but I still got too few informations about the traits system to even speak about it...

British

Zeiph

This is a pretty astounding list of available traits.
Then how about discussing if they should or not have an impact on the gameplay and if yes, how?
I would be interested in Ty's pov on this topic as it seems to be pretty thoughtful, even if
QuoteTraits currently have no perceptible effect on the game and are there just to give more consistency to characters and to allow more complex player-conceived stories based on those characters.

- Are there going to be stats buffs/debuffs from traits?
- Will they provoke some events?
- Will they influence the needs of the colonists?
- Will they be just for cosmetic?

I am pretty curious about what the other think about it...

AspenShadow

Have to admit I am a tiny bit concerned about the "Bestiality Thirst" trait that got in there, and I thought Nymphomaniac was straddling the line a little. Personally I just think it's amusing but if we want to keep Rimworld as open to all audiences as possible the game doesn't need sex involved.

Pheanox

Quote from: AspenShadow on October 07, 2013, 05:51:08 PM
Have to admit I am a tiny bit concerned about the "Bestiality Thirst" trait that got in there, and I thought Nymphomaniac was straddling the line a little. Personally I just think it's amusing but if we want to keep Rimworld as open to all audiences as possible the game doesn't need sex involved.

But murder, slavery, and drug use are a-ok!

turnip

Quote from: AspenShadow on October 07, 2013, 05:51:08 PM

This is silly. The game would be made more interesting with the involvement of sex. Conspiracies, plots, rivalries, betrayals, and friendships have been born of sex since bloody well Babylon. Adding sex into the game increases the realism and potential tension in the group. We don't need to see two cartoon characters having a full-on mass effect sex scene, a sims-esque bed ruffling would be fine. Not including sex would be a mistake.

As far as Bestiality, there should probably be something in the options menu. I don't want to see Dave humping a muffalo.
Turnips should be a growable plant.

Tynan

There are about 200 traits in the game. Four of them have gameplay effects. Yeah, there's some work to do :) The rest are just fun storytelling notes, for now. I want to have most of them have a real effect eventually.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

AspenShadow

Quote from: Pheanox on October 07, 2013, 07:15:16 PM
But murder, slavery, and drug use are a-ok!

Haha kinda yeah, because they add something to the game beyond unnecessary realism.

Quote from: turnip on October 07, 2013, 07:27:20 PM
This is silly. The game would be made more interesting with the involvement of sex. Conspiracies, plots, rivalries, betrayals, and friendships have been born of sex since bloody well Babylon. Adding sex into the game increases the realism and potential tension in the group. We don't need to see two cartoon characters having a full-on mass effect sex scene, a sims-esque bed ruffling would be fine. Not including sex would be a mistake.

As far as Bestiality, there should probably be something in the options menu. I don't want to see Dave humping a muffalo.

Haha speaking as an ancient history major there are so many things I'm tempted to nitpick in that comment, but leaving that aside I never expected anything other than a bland 2D sheet-ruffling animation (though by-the-by Mass Effect's scenes are hardly what I'd consider full-on lol).

The issue I have isn't some ridiculous moral objection, quite the opposite it just doesn't add much to the game (even social interaction) that can't be introduced through other means. Essentially the gist of what I'm saying is: don't add it just to add it.

Hypolite

Quote from: turnip on October 07, 2013, 07:27:20 PMAs far as Bestiality, there should probably be something in the options menu. I don't want to see Dave humping a muffalo.
I, for one, would want to see that. With simple vector graphics, it's not so much a problem, and it could lead to interesting relationships evolutions with the witnesses :)

Yarkista

Quote from: Hypolite on October 08, 2013, 04:40:47 AM
Quote from: turnip on October 07, 2013, 07:27:20 PMAs far as Bestiality, there should probably be something in the options menu. I don't want to see Dave humping a muffalo.
I, for one, would want to see that. With simple vector graphics, it's not so much a problem, and it could lead to interesting relationships evolutions with the witnesses :)

Beastiality would be an...interesting trait indeed.

And I fully support its implementation.

Zeiph

I think traits about nutritonal handicap like vegetarian/vegan, carnivorous and even (hardcore mode, please keep your children in leash) cannibal may be added to the current list.

AspenShadow

Quote from: Yarkista on October 08, 2013, 11:56:47 AM
Quote from: Hypolite on October 08, 2013, 04:40:47 AM

Beastiality would be an...interesting trait indeed.

And I fully support its implementation.

I must bow out to public opinion, but for the record I'm not a fan of that trait.

Quote from: Zeiph on October 08, 2013, 12:21:06 PM
I think traits about nutritonal handicap like vegetarian/vegan, carnivorous and even (hardcore mode, please keep your children in leash) cannibal may be added to the current list.

I think we were chatting about that on the Animal Husbandry thread at one point, I love the idea and cannibal is a nice option for loyalty-deprived colonists.