Rimworld Translation - Volunteers Wanted

Started by LouisTBR, August 14, 2015, 08:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisTBR

Hi guys, Louis here,
First off, let me just tell you that I am in no way, shape or form associated in a business relationship with Ludeon Studios, its associates or anything else to do with them. I also am not self-advertising in any way in this post (not the best way to start, I know!)

I am currently working on the Russian translation of Rimworld for anybody who has bought the game and speaks the language of Russia. My fellow volunteers are: Tarakanhb, M-r-A, Manslay, Bardolvan, Ownag3, Edvard Xoxlov, Humort and Atekio (and myself). Now, with well over a million Rimworld players now, it seems that a very small proportion of whom are translating into another language. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but, for those who it is, it would be greatly appreciated if you volunteered!

To volunteer, create/log into Github account (Link Below), Email the Ludeon Help manager (or something!) Michael @ this email address:
[email protected] with your GitHub username and the language yoy want to translate into (i.e Russian), and in less than 24 hours you will receive an email saying that ItchyFlea has added you to the Rimworld Translators team. So, open the link, accept the request, go down the list to which ever language you told Michael you wanted to translate, click on it and view some of the volunteers' work. Just go into their account, click on one of the files (the one you want to help with), click the 'Keyed' Folder and open it, and hey presto. That is what you need to do.

When you are ready to start translating, go into your Rimworld download file in 'My Documents', open it, click Rimworld{number number number}Win, open up the mods folder inside, click core, go to languages, and right click on En/US. Copy it, then right click on the language folder than you want to translate, paste it, open the folder and open up the 'English' folder. Click on 'Keyed', and you have a list of complicated looking xml. files. Don't be alarmed, right click Alerts (top one), select open with, choose notepad (I did, you might have something better), and you have a VERY complicated looking Command Prompt-looking page. Don't be alarmed, just look at the first thing on the list <'ClickToJumpToProblem'>. There is three of the identical sentences, which you may recognise from the English game. Simply delete the one in the middle and replace it with the EXACT same text... just in your language. BOOM!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

TheDirge

What is the status on other languages? i'd be more than happy to help out with translating it into dutch

A Friend

There is a severe lack of

C̖̯͈̘ͪ͟tͦ̄̏̌ͫh̬̦ͧ̑ͫ̾ṳ̅l̷̗̣̔̃͑ͤ͒̏͊h͔̱̑ͧ͒̍́ͦ̽͢ȕ̱̖̜̰̬̩̰̔͐ ̛ͮT̡͕͍̹͗̿r̗͙̘̳̪͍̄ͥ̈́̋ͅā̟̓ͨ̚͠ns͕͓̏̐͛l͕̣̯͚̤͗ͮ͠a̩̲̙̰͂͑ͦ̈t̝i̡͔͓̗͈̯̦̓̂̚o̔̿̐̚n̜̪̬̻̱ͨ͌ͨ̔͛s̱̺̬ͯ͡ͅ ̻̗̞̜ͫ̀

Ä̶͖̼̈̑ͫd̼̯̽̆͆ͦ͐ͅd̲͑̎ ̱̭̥͗ͨ̊͐̅́̃͡ṗ̻̻̥l͚̪̪̙̞͚̋̐̇̽s̲͕
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

cultist

I would very much like to contribute, but the hub page for my language (Danish) does not seem to have been active for a very long time. I'd like to contact the people who initiated the project before changing anything, but I'm not sure how to go about it?

Quote from: A Friend on August 16, 2015, 12:02:47 AM
There is a severe lack of

C̖̯͈̘ͪ͟tͦ̄̏̌ͫh̬̦ͧ̑ͫ̾ṳ̅l̷̗̣̔̃͑ͤ͒̏͊h͔̱̑ͧ͒̍́ͦ̽͢ȕ̱̖̜̰̬̩̰̔͐ ̛ͮT̡͕͍̹͗̿r̗͙̘̳̪͍̄ͥ̈́̋ͅā̟̓ͨ̚͠ns͕͓̏̐͛l͕̣̯͚̤͗ͮ͠a̩̲̙̰͂͑ͦ̈t̝i̡͔͓̗͈̯̦̓̂̚o̔̿̐̚n̜̪̬̻̱ͨ͌ͨ̔͛s̱̺̬ͯ͡ͅ ̻̗̞̜ͫ̀

Ä̶͖̼̈̑ͫd̼̯̽̆͆ͦ͐ͅd̲͑̎ ̱̭̥͗ͨ̊͐̅́̃͡ṗ̻̻̥l͚̪̪̙̞͚̋̐̇̽s̲͕
Ia, Ia, Rimworld ftaghn!

Tynan

Thank you for putting this up Louis.

Also everyone - there is a translation section for discussing progress on specific translations.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

LouisTBR

Happy to help Tynan. I am currently working on the Bills in Russian (like the cooking stove bills). To be honest guys, Tynan knows miles more than me about the game (obviously), so any questions would probably get better answers from him. After all, I'm just a muffalo!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

LouisTBR

(Correction) Oh no, I'm a drifter. Well, I'm only a drifter!

LouisTBR

cultist, don't worry about the other translators for your language. Do the work like my first comment shows, then, when you are happy with it, upload it onto GitHub's Danish Rimworld page. If your language hasn't been around for a long time, you are likely to be the first one to contribute.