[A11] (TEXTURES) Better Tribals V2.00

Started by The13thRonin, August 13, 2015, 03:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The13thRonin

The tribals in the game have a very sparse collection of apparel (especially headgear) so I decided to make them a feathered headdress to help diversify their wardrobe. This mod is fully compatible with all other apparel mods.

The headdress comes in a variety of colors. These colors are now all the colors of the rainbow as the game selects from a wide variety of appropriate colors.

Here are some in-game shots:

The headdress provides no protection but it does help enhance some of a warriors attributes (minor speed, accuracy and reload buffs).

Download link!

To install put the 'Better_Tribals' folder into your mods folder and make sure you remember to switch the mod on in the game!

The original template for the feathers in the image was taken from: http://kandipatterns.com/ and heavily modified. The exact link to the template in question is: https://kandipatterns.com/images/patterns/animals/13713_Pink_Kandi_Feather.png. Many thanks for their generous license:

The art included in this mod is protected under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License and is for NON-COMMERCIAL use only.

I give permission for any mod maker or mod-pack maker to use my work to benefit the community as long as they adhere to the above license (providing attribution to http://kandipatterns.com/ and only using the textures in non-profit projects).

FridayBiology

Actually a pretty good idea. (get it :P)

Will you be adding multiple head dress options?
And could you look at adding early/late game versions. to denote fodder and warriors.
> one or two feathered head bands
> crown of feathers
> fruit hat edible headwear?
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Shinzy

Woop!
I feel you've been just a tiny bit lazy with the side views =P
But I adore the front image
Go you!

skullywag

can you do some with just 1 feather on, looking at the side image 1 feather would look awesome. Nice job.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

The13thRonin

Quote from: Shinzy on August 13, 2015, 05:23:14 AM
Woop!
I feel you've been just a tiny bit lazy with the side views =P
But I adore the front image
Go you!

Is there any way you would suggest to improve the side view images? I found it very difficult to imagine how the headdress would look from the side?

While it looks a bit funny in the thread it doesn't actually look so bad in-game.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: The13thRonin on August 13, 2015, 02:17:46 PM-Snippets of Ronin asking for help-

Mmm, wouldn't you sorta squish it sideways keeping the height the same? This is non-professional advice as I don't know a thing about art, but I want to learn.
Claims to know most things.

The13thRonin

I have released V1.01, I made the seam joining the headdress to the head more natural from a side-view, while this is a minute change I believe it improves the look of the headdress to more naturally fit to the head. You can see the difference here:

Originals:

Improved:

Quote from: Mr.Cross on August 13, 2015, 02:22:29 PM
Quote from: The13thRonin on August 13, 2015, 02:17:46 PM-Snippets of Ronin asking for help-

Mmm, wouldn't you sorta squish it sideways keeping the height the same? This is non-professional advice as I don't know a thing about art, but I want to learn.

I could shear the headdress from the side to give it more of an angle but the trade-off is going to be you'll get a more blurred headdress. If you try the textures in-game I think you'll find that the side-on view actually looks pretty good. More importantly the texture maintains a smooth transition from front to side to back view as well.

With that said I admit that I am no texture artist, I am a relatively untalented scrub, this was the best I could do by slowly plinking away at it... Embarrassingly the textures took me between 10-20 hours to get right. I'm sure that a proper artist could have done it in under half that time.

Quote from: Feirfec on August 13, 2015, 04:59:18 AM
Actually a pretty good idea. (get it :P)

Will you be adding multiple head dress options?
And could you look at adding early/late game versions. to denote fodder and warriors.
> one or two feathered head bands
> crown of feathers
> fruit hat edible headwear?

I have plans to add additional tribal apparel but I'll remain tight-lipped about those plans until I can work out if I can accomplish them using my extremely limited skill-set.

Quote from: skullywag on August 13, 2015, 07:14:58 AM
can you do some with just 1 feather on, looking at the side image 1 feather would look awesome. Nice job.

How do you imagine the single feather from a side-on view? Do you imagine it would look better sticking straight up in the air or would it be better tilted towards the back of the pawn slightly?

Tynan

Cool idea; I'd love to see a screenshot.

No reason they can't have other kinds of headdresses too. Like a wolf's head or something!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

The13thRonin

Quote from: Tynan on August 13, 2015, 04:34:27 PM
Cool idea; I'd love to see a screenshot.

No reason they can't have other kinds of headdresses too. Like a wolf's head or something!

Your wish is my command:

Alistaire

I feel like it would be better if the colouring was done through CompColorable and a random colour picker. That way it's easier for players to buy and sell them (with them being common and all that) and for you to make them more varied.

NephilimNexus

Quote from: Tynan on August 13, 2015, 04:34:27 PMNo reason they can't have other kinds of headdresses too. Like a wolf's head or something!

That would give us something new to do with wolf hides.  Wolf head hats.  Goes well with the gladius.

The13thRonin

Quote from: Alistaire on August 13, 2015, 05:30:36 PM
I feel like it would be better if the colouring was done through CompColorable and a random colour picker. That way it's easier for players to buy and sell them (with them being common and all that) and for you to make them more varied.

This is easy to do but the problem with this is that if I do this the complex colors of the headdress will be lost as it applies a kind of overlay filter over the top of the piece of apparel.

So instead of having the whites of the feathers and also the colors everything will be a blob of whatever other color is chosen. I have tried this and I found the results to be very, very sub-standard.

With that said, if you're really keen on the idea I could make an alternate version for you.

Alistaire

You can use masks to make only some parts variable to keep details, or you could make the details fully black to ensure them staying the same between colours.

Another method would be to make them <graphicClass>Graphic_Random</graphicClass>, which would make their graphics vary like Steel slag chunks.

The13thRonin

Quote from: Alistaire on August 13, 2015, 06:25:49 PM
You can use masks to make only some parts variable to keep details, or you could make the details fully black to ensure them staying the same between colours.

Another method would be to make them <graphicClass>Graphic_Random</graphicClass>, which would make their graphics vary like Steel slag chunks.

As for masks, as far as I know you cannot save masks to .pngs which RimWorld requires for the textures?

Wouldn't the  <graphicClass>Graphic_Random</graphicClass> fail because unlike steel chunks the feathered headdress needs a set singular <worngraphicPath></worngraphicPath>? I can't seem to get that method to produce results but if you know how let me know and I'll convert the headgear to use this format instead.

If I am wrong please do let me know how to do either of these methods, because I would much prefer to convert them!

skullywag

I would say based on the screenshots that id prefer the feathers to be duller more pastel colour, but i know this is the opposite of why tribals wear these things (irl) but then would they wear their bright headdresses out when attacking....
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?