Maybe 5500 is TOO far in the future.

Started by Elixiar, August 13, 2015, 10:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devon_v

I know how firearms work. Right now we have many styles of bullets, some of them pierce armor, some of them do ungodly damage to soft targets.

A bullet with a monomol, or close enough, tip isn't going to give a crap about most anti-ballistic protections. Sure it won't go through a tank, and power armor should be good, but we aren't dealing with those things.

Also, f=ma. Very lightweight bullets fired at ludicrous velocity can do more damage than slow, heavy bullets.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Tynan on August 15, 2015, 01:19:42 AM
I would prefer to have ground-based traders but it's a significant technical/design challenge. Space traders work quite well and could do so indefinitely; perfecting this hasn't been the top priority.

There is a mod that has traders from the different factions arrive, set up a tent, which you then interact with and the normal trade window appears and sold/brought stuff acts as it always has. How would a potential ground based trading system need to be much more complex then this? Sure I imagine you could do away with the warping by having the trader pawns pick up the supplies and load them into their tent, but his would probably take some time, and quiet frankly I'm OK with the warping trade items.

Adamiks

Quote from: Devon_v on August 15, 2015, 02:22:35 PM
I know how firearms work. Right now we have many styles of bullets, some of them pierce armor, some of them do ungodly damage to soft targets.

A bullet with a monomol, or close enough, tip isn't going to give a crap about most anti-ballistic protections. Sure it won't go through a tank, and power armor should be good, but we aren't dealing with those things.

Also, f=ma. Very lightweight bullets fired at ludicrous velocity can do more damage than slow, heavy bullets.

Yes, you're right, but bullets aren't the only important part of the gun. If this would work like that then people would use only pistol with nice bullets on World War.

Kegereneku

Quote from: Adamiks on August 15, 2015, 11:29:27 AM
@Kegereneku

You made a long post, i don't know from what i should begin. Anyway i still don't agree with you.

There's really no reason to see any hostility in that, so...
1) We'll have to agree to disagree.
2) To answer you : Distance are pointless if there's a continuous flow. On a 600 day long migration route you only need 120 spaceship going back and forth to have one every 5 days(which stand in game for nearly a month (so 4-5 spaceship)). For info there's easily 7000 airliners in service today, not counting cargo-boats.
Why would they stop ? Already given on possible reason : stopping around inhabitable world for checkup.
Alternative reasons I gave in another topics was opportunistic trading with "Rimworld" for AI-core, other artifacts and slaves you might not get on civilized world.
3) As I said I wouldn't mind caravan trading at 100% from scavenged items, crashed ship.

I'm assuming you are criticizing only the level of realism, I'm boasting rhetorically that if I wanted I could write stuff more realistic than you would know. But if you are criticizing it for being FICTION at all, there's no point discussing this. Rimworld isn't reality.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Kelian

Quote from: Boston on August 13, 2015, 12:16:29 PM
The whole setting kind of falls apart after some careful examination, yes

If the tribals have been on the planet for even 1000 years, why haven't they discovered iron, or even copper, yet?

If the Outlanders have been there for longer than you, why don't they also work on building a ship to escape?

We still have tribals today that continue their culture and customs. It's not that they don't know of it, they just do not engage and hold true to customs. Tribes in the amazon, aboriginals in Australia, Amish in the US, Tribes in Mongolia and China, Monks in Nepal and India... the list goes on. Plenty of people shun this crazy modern day society and technology.

Secondly, on the same token, what if these said outlanders had no access to plasteel or chose to use that in their base and stay instead of return to an inner world? Look at some of the colonist backgrounds. Not every place close to civilization is paradise. Post apocalyptic ruined worlds, hive minds, imperial totalitarian facist worlds... its not all rainbow and sunshine kid. Maybe the colonists thought they were just fine living a country lifestyle of self independence and self reliance?

Two cents,

Cheers.

b0rsuk

There are even tribes so wild we don't know what language they speak.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island
People on North Sentinel Island reject any contact with outsiders. They really mean business - when a boat drifted to their shore with two unconscious people (drunk),  they killed them. When a larger force shows up, they disappear into the jungle.
There were attempts to make contacts, ships showed up and gifts like coconuts were given. They'd take them, then shake their sticks and bows and shoo the people away.
They've been left alone.

Adamiks

"I wanted I could write stuff more realistic than you would know."

Dude, i'm interested in all universe-realated stuff for my whole live, i'm really sure that you wouldn't write stuff that i wouldn't know. My posts may sound like i don't have any idea about what i'm talking about, but it's because i'm not so good in english to write complicated sentences about universe etc.

Luckless

One thing to remember about advancing technology is that it doesn't advance evenly, and it isn't always universally available even if it is relatively cheap. Just look at computers in our current world, and just how cheap and easy it is to get your hands on something like a Raspberry Pi. Now go look at regions of extreme poverty.

There can also be a huge difference between general knowledge of a technology, but even with extremely detailed knowledge of the subject it may not be practical or even remotely possible to produce that technology. Myself and several of my former classmates from university all have the technical knowledge to design a fully functional nuclear explosive device, including practical knowledge needed to machine everything involved, but we simply don't have access to the resources needed to undertake such project even if we could find some way around the law to get away with trying to build such a thing. ("We just wanted to build one to prove that we could, we didn't plan to set it off at any point... honest!" probably won't fly very well. At least I hope it wouldn't.)

Some technology simply works well enough that it is going to be rather hard to replace. Take the common hammer for example. Go in to any research lab dealing with building advanced robotics, even when those robotics are focused on use in manufacturing, and you're going to find a hammer. Why? Because sometimes the easiest way to fix something involves bashing it (carefully) with a big hunk metal on a stick. And even with all the awesome new materials we have on hand, I personally still tend to prefer a good old fashioned wooden handle on my hammers. Why? Because it is easy to work with and fix should it break. Trying to fix broken fibre glass handles is just a headache.

When it comes to projecting a force at a distance with the goal of destroying a relatively soft target, such as another human, well then you are going to be hard pressed to trump the reliability of setting off a chemical reaction to generate a rapidly expanding gas to propel some manner of small projectile to a high velocity and send it spinning about its axis out a barrel. We've made lots of nice refinements on guns, but we really haven't changed a great deal beyond fine details on the concept in a few hundred years. We've improved loading mechanics, we've improved casing and projectiles, and we've improved the propellents. I really can't think of anything all that innovative being done in the field of small arms since designs dating back to the 50s and 60s other than optics from the late 80s. If you want something that is cheap and easy for pretty much anyone to build, even thousands of years into the future, well it is probably still going to be hard to trump building a variant on design concepts we've been using since probably before the vast majority of the people playing this game were born. Physics won't change the fact that small arms are highly effective at what they do while being very easy to produce.

Adamiks

"Just look at computers in our current world, and just how cheap and easy it is to get your hands on something like a Raspberry Pi."

Speak for yourself... I'm not living in country with "extreme poverty", but this wouldn't be "cheap" for me either. My whole computer costed like 1.5/2x average "raspberry Pi" (i don't have any idea what is that...)

Mikhail Reign

TheGentlmen

Mah computer costs 1k... but I got it on a 30% of sale and only payed $700...

Ps: if your computer only costs $50 dollars i don't know how your running RW... W10 costs ~$120 so you don't have windows... Mac MINI's cost ~$600... so you don't have a mac... and you cant have a ubunto pc... $50 will never reach the minimum hardware requirements (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements)...
Your ever running MSDOS or think OS are overrated... if you have the latter I don't know how your computer works... if you got MSDOS I wonder how you got RW to work... Maybe your using a potato...  ;D

Edit:
RaspberryPI
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/

Adamiks

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on August 17, 2015, 12:19:09 AM
Your computer cost $50?

More like $100 (in dollars). I don't know what you would get for this in english countries so i will put my system here:
2gb RAM.
CPU - Intel Pentium D CPU 2x3ghz.
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS (128mb 64bits)
Windows 7. With this computer i got a key to Windows XP Home Premium, but yeah... Judge if you want.

"if your computer only costs $50 dollars i don't know how your running RW..."

I get like maks 30 fps at no warp and like 7-15 on 3x warp on big colonies (30-50 colonists).

" W10 costs ~$120 so you don't have windows"
Windows 10 is the only windows? And btw who still pays for systems in these days? I think that mostly people from US and UK.

"Maybe your using a potato...  ;D"
This isn't nice, dude.... Is this my fault that i'm living in poorer country than you? You know, i would like to have a nice computer too, but what i can do?

TheGentlmen

Windows 7 costs ~$100 (https://www.google.ca/search?espv=2&q=windows+7+price&oq=windows+7+price&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i20j0i7i30l9.6522.10089.0.10355.7.7.0.0.0.0.111.572.6j1.7.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.7.569.HSXzp7DIkWU)... I'd say your living in a pretty wealthy country to be able to get W7 + a PC for only $100

The potato was not as an insult but instead as a joke, sorry if you took it the wrong way. (http://i.imgur.com/0S5spVmb.jpg)

Adamiks

I didn't get W7. This is the point. And i bought that PC without graphic card and with 1 gb ram, so i'm don't sure if it was good deal. But i got that 1 gb ram and GPU for free, though.

And i'm not upset, i understand it was a joke, but you know... My computer is a real potato refering to modern PCs. Anyway i'm sorry for that.

xlockeed

Time dilation, who is to say what time it is. So get off your soap boxes people.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.