Molotov Cocktail Making

Started by LouisTBR, August 13, 2015, 01:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisTBR

Hi guys, Louis here, (you might want to check out my 'Bottles as Weapons?' thread before reading! Sorry, I hate self-advertising too!) You know when the spaceworld guys come to raid you? And they've got cool weapons like MOLOTOV COCKTAILS and other things like such, and they manage to get away, while you have either killed or downed all the guys with the terrible, boring weapons like pistols and shivs? Maybe, instead of obtaining Molotov's through basically pure luck, why not be able to make them yourself? (again, read my other thread for this next bit!) Why not be able to take an empty bottle, a rag (a bit of cloth or animal hide) and combine them in a bill/recipe at the Smithing Bench? It would be pretty cool to see this implemented! What do you guys think? 
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Mr.Cross

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on August 13, 2015, 01:42:29 PM-Snippets about making Cocktails of the flaming variety-

I'm sorry to tell you this Louis, but homemade Molotov cocktails are made by soaking a rag in alcohol then stuffing that soaked alcohol rag into a bottle of alcohol, not the empty bottle as you may have implied. Then there is the fact that this would unbalance the game in which you would need something like the chance of failing at making the cocktail, and if your colonist fails horribly, maiming and possible death.
Claims to know most things.

LouisTBR

Hi guys, Louis here,
Mr.Cross, I did know this, but thanks anyway. I just thought that it would be easier if it wasn't entirely realistic, as it would tie in with my empty bottles idea. But, your opinion is just as good as mine, probably better in the eyes of other rimworlders, but my suggestion would be easier for Tynan (or modders) to implement as there isn't as much programming work involved. I know it seems silly that on a 'Suggestions' thread you have to take into account the ability of the person(s) making the game's programming ability, but with indie games it is required. And, the failing thing, I had something in the back of my head while I was writing my initial post that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but you have explained it perfectly. Thanks, Mr.Cross.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Mr.Cross

Alright, See I was thinking the exact opposite. Since you already have a alcoholic beverage implemented, it should be easier to just add a recipe to the game, and having it use say 5 pieces of cloth and five 'beers'. The incident would be harder, as well as figuring out how to make it fail.

I aim to please Louis.

Toggle

Molotovs are infinite, so like Mr.Cross said, they'd have to be a high chance of you dropping it and setting your base on fire and your colonist too when making it.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

LouisTBR

Hi guys, Louis here,
Mr.Cross, I appreciate that the implementation would be easier having already included partial pieces of this recipe in the current game, but the reason for using the empty bottle+ cloth simplistic idea was so that it was easier for the player to obtain the resources required, but, I did forget about the infinite thing with projectiles, so your previous idea about making the crafting more realistic and the very high chance of failure (altered by smithing/crafting skill) probably works better as it would make the system less O.P.

Thanks for your ideas!

Songleaves

I don't think being able to produce molotov cocktails would be too OP since they really aren't that great of a weapon, although their price would have to be balanced to prevent making it to profitable to simply buy a ton of cloth and beer and sell a bunch of molotov cocktails. I don't think the infinite thing is too much to be concerned about since we already produce guns/bows that fire infinite bullets/arrows. Although the fact that they are infinite did just make me realize that I can have a colonist stand in a clear room and fire molotovs in order to effectively have a free source of heat on the icesheets maps :D 

Mr.Cross

I think it's more along the line that grenades and Cocktails don't degrade (i'm unsure of this, correct me if i'm wrong) unlike weapons which degrade.

Toggle

It would make more sense anyways with Beer + Cloth instead of empty bottle, and yeah, infinite thing. And since molotovs set a 3x3 square on fire, they are pretty useful.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

b0rsuk

Why Smithing table and not the Brewing table ?

LouisTBR

Hi, Louis here,
b0rsuk, I have suggested using the smithing table because it is (essentially) a weapon maker. I know you wouldn't smith a Molotov in real life, but it seems more realistic than brewing one.