Raid Types

Started by FoxButt, August 14, 2015, 11:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoxButt

The idea of raiders coming to destroy and kill is just silly, so why not have a reason for them to raid? If they need resources, they come to steal, and leave with what they got. If you took a prisoner of their faction, why not come to rescue?
Rescue Raid- Raiders will come to your base, and try to rescue their faction, and maybe steal the rest, or none at all.
Resource Raid- Raiders will come to your base for no other reason to steal yo stuff, whether it be steal, statues, or even TVs. Pirates get bored too. Maybe they're low on food, and need to steal to get the food.
Revenge Raid- You have done them wrong. Maybe you took their land, killed a man of their faction, or are doing unethical things, but whatever you did, they're pissed and want you dead.
These are only a few examples of what could be a fun addition to an already awesome game.

kingtyris

This has been suggested a lot. That being said, they are worth repeating. +All the numbers.

It wouldn't even be difficult to implement. Do you have prisoners of a given faction? Then that faction should send raids with the intent of tunneling into your prison and making a path to freedom. Do you have a large stockpile of precious metal laying around? They should want it.

Also, I'd like to see more raids with options like the fleeing refugee. Where you get a message that prompts you to make a choice, and whether a raid occurs is dependent on that point. So say a local village sends you a desperate message requesting X amount of your food so they don't starve. The dilemma is simple and obvious, but meaningful; You can give them the food they need at the risk of your own starvation, or you can risk a raid where they come to take your food supplies.

Mikhail Reign

While I like the idea of the raiders having a more fleshed out place, there is a problem with giving them more solid goals - it is very easy for people to contract bases that 'break' AI.

If when the AI arrive all the have is a basic 'kill people' goal, it's relatively simply for them to carry out that goal. If on the other hand they want to steal something/one, they have to take base layout into account - it's hard to create an AI that can figure out if it's even possible. Say for example, in my latest colony the prison is the center room in a single building compound - they would have to have forth to the center of my empire, or blasted through a large amount of walls - something I don't think the current AI would be up to.

Now if the combat had some further work done to it so that raiders used some more tactics (advanced in fire teams, with one covering while one moved, they tried to flank, they would temporarily 'secure' rooms/areas while others moved forwards, had higher levels of self preservation, some of the raiders covering another while they complete objective) then I would happily await some more precise goals and objectives for the raids, but as the AI currently stands human wave tactics, which can (somewhat) be directed at whatever targets of opertunity show up is really all that it's capable of, and really it makes a dogs breakfast of that.

JimmyAgnt007

AI is hard, I think keeping it simple would be better.  Kill stuff, steel stuff, break stuff.  Those should be the mission types.  At least until Tynan decides he doesnt like sleep and wants to program more complex AI.  It would be nice to see more complex stuff but he also has to check to see how it can be abused. 

b0rsuk

New raid goal:
REVENGE
If a faction has already performed some raids against you, and had a number of members killed, maybe they simply want revenge ? Your two colonists with most kills are the targets. Once one of them is downed...
* they gouge his eyes out, or
* they cut his manhood and put it in his mouth, or
* they cut her face and some ears (woman), or
* they just rape her games are for kids
* they cut both his arms, or
* they cut both his legs (and install peg legs to add insult to the injury), or
* they cut his arm or leg and use it to beat him to death, or
* they tie a rope to his leg, tie the rope to a horse and put the horse on fire
if they succeed, they leave, and leave the colonist alone

The goal doesn't have to be announced when the raiders arrive. The raiders might "decide" to go for one goal and call it a victory if succeeded. But they may focus fire on these 2 colonists, and attack him more recklessly.