Performance issues at bigger colonies

Started by zenfur, August 16, 2015, 02:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenfur

I face third time a problem when in bigger colonies (44 colonists atm) at some point game becomes unplayable because of freezes for 3-4 seconds every 2 seconds. It ruined my another great play. The game didn't gradually slow down, it just at some point started to behave like that. I wonder what could be the cause.
Running out of memory could be the reason, but I checked that it uses around 1.4 GB, while I have 8 GB available. It's possible that my OS (windows 7) doesn't allow it use as much memory as it wants, yet I don't know if that is the case.
Once I suspected path finding algorithm as once similar thing appeared when manhunter pack consisting of 100+ wargs had to find a way to my colonists around whole map, and it stopped when I closed the only gap for my colony.

I'd be happy if you could suggest something how I could improve game performance, as I cannot finish the game as it always becomes unplayable when its the most entertaining.

I'd note that while I use some mods (hardcore pack), but I did have this problem even with vanilla game.

Here is part of MSinfo32, if needed I can provide more.

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional N
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SONICBOOM
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model X555LD
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 1900 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. X555LD.310, 2014-08-14
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Polska
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name SONICBOOM\User
Time Zone Central European Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8,00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7,89 GB
Available Physical Memory 5,45 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15,8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13,3 GB
Page File Space 7,89 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Overall I hope rimworld will get some performance upgrade like prison architect did. Factorio while still in its alpha state doesn't have such issues even at extremely big maps.

Forgot to add, it's probably important. Usually it becomes after the game accumulates some minor bugs through gameplay, usually they don't interrupt and are only shown after game load. These are usually about multiple definitions of things in memory or missing objects/jobs. Once I had a situation when there was a reference to non existing thing and game was spewing out exceptions and thus was very slow, but I removed in save file this reference and it got fixed.

Also I suspect job giver, because now when while paused I draft/undraft everyone in my colony it takes ages and it was normal before this performance issue happened.
Little posts, quality posts.

Notice me, senpaaiiiiiii!!!!

TheGentlmen

Everyone experiences that lag at some point... easy way is to get a better CPU  :-\. I get it at around ~1000... oh well

zenfur

I have quite good CPU. I suspect we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking about bug, you are talking about lag.

I have done further research and I suspect job giver is the reason for that behaviour.

Coenmcj

Mmn, you're talking about the result, whereas Zenfur's talking about the cause.

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

TheGentlmen

Eh... sorry... I personally think its the pathfinder... not the job giver... why i say that you ask? Becuase if I have a ton of raider going to my base throu a hole in the wall, then I seal the wall it lags out to death (Thats after multiplying the size of raids by 50x). Job givers simple... Find posible job then give job of highest pirority. But then it goes "How do i get to the job" and starts to lag out.

isistoy

Would imagine some jobgivers and workgivers are using CanReserveAndReach and also trying to make consistent queries on memory db chunks...
More than guessing, profiling figures could help getting a better view of things!
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

zenfur

Pathfinder does generate the lag in bigger raids, yeah, but it's the separate cause. I am experiencing bug where colonists are doing nothing starting 10 jobs in 1 tick. I suspect that more.

Also the reason I excluded path finder is because one game was unplayable at some point, but I chose bigger map. This time I chose the smallest and situation is similar.

skullywag

its actually searching for jobs thats the cause, if you have no idle pawns the game will run fine, the moment you have idles the lag starts to build up, its way more intensive to search for a job than it is to do a job.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

zenfur

I don't have idles, all of them are busy.

skullywag

Then as stated youve just hit that point where it lags even with no idles. The game is not optimised yet.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

maxionarusio

I have this exact same issue no matter what I do in my world and I know it has nothing to do with my hardware at all as rimworld is never taxing my CPU above 20%.