Tents?

Started by Boston, August 17, 2015, 04:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

How about making tents or other forms of shelters from animal hides / cloth + wood?

GamerGuy

What would you use tents for? temp accommodation? joy

confusedwings

i kinda like that idea...
for early in the game... simple sleeping spot... out of wind and rain but stil on the cold floor...
made from a little bit of wood and some cloth/leather/skin.

I noticed that colonist gets a - score for sleeping outside... that could be reduced a bit by a tent.
they are away from rain and wind so that's a good thing... but the cold floor should give them a little - score...

maybe it's best to make a tent auto destroy... after 4 a 6 days...
if possible...: nice calm weather 6 days, in rain/storms 4 days...

CB elite

Tents would be cool if it weren't already ridiculously easy to create an entire building the day of arrival.

If the construction in this game ever gets some complexity, tents made of leather and some sticks would be a great addition as a temporary way of getting rid of the "slept outside" mood debuff. But, for current vanilla game I feel like tents would be too much work for too little profit :/

Nice idea tho :)

JimmyAgnt007

Tents would be handy for a 'primitive' mode game that we were talking about a few months ago where we avoid the use of anything technological or complex.  They would provide shelter counting as 'indoors' but loose heat faster than even a single wall.   

isistoy

Not tents, but Igloos, for Ice sheet biomes, which pose a challenge right at the start of a new colony.

There are many problems doing them in a mod though... One of which is: how to properly create rooms inside buildings?

Rooms have Temperature control, are associated with walls, doors and regions and.... It's not an easy one, at least in current vanilla.
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

JimmyAgnt007

Igloos were an idea of mine a few months ago.  Some people had issue with snow/ice being used as a 'stuff' type.  Though I agree!

Toggle

Igloo's were somewhat discussed recently too in a thread for snow/ice being building materials on an icesheet.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Nickvr628

Maybe raiders/siegers can bring tents if they go to sleep.

Toggle

Quote from: Nickvr628 on August 18, 2015, 05:47:15 PM
Maybe raiders/siegers can bring tents if they go to sleep.

Eh, there's the problems with tents being rooms and such, and then if raiders had them people would want their colonists to have tents just because they exist. Not really worth it to add.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

isistoy

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 18, 2015, 05:22:58 PM
Igloo's were somewhat discussed recently too in a thread for snow/ice being building materials on an icesheet.

Sorry, but discussing is only a part of coding: a precious one but still...

And sorry again, I kinda stole the topic for my own f...g considerations. My bad

DNK

Actually coding a tent would be hard, but I can think of something very easy and doable right now with a simple mod:

-animal skin walls/doors (2x skin 1x wood sticks)
-cloth walls/doors (2x cloth 1x wood sticks)
-wood sticks (cut up 5 from 1 log)

Provide marginal insulation value, very weak, easily put up. Pawns could easily carry the requisite materials on them.

Of course, getting raiders to construct such dwellings is a little more involved, but probably doable currently also.

isistoy

Own perception is that it's currently a big deal to program automatic rooms in building.
What I would think though, for sure, that if someone does this, it's an open door to every window  :P

Then tents can possibly be some cloth + woodsticks + ground placement (I can't see constraints but where there is a roof already).
Igloos can possibly be some snow/compacted/blocks/younameit + woodsticks + ground placement (icy, groundy).

both would then need to have special degradation, but surely, Igloos would need an immediate one, based also on temperature (inside and outside), when tents could uninstalled and reinstalled somewhere else.

milon

A tent in RimWorld should be like a tent in real life: portable!  Maybe weather degrades it over time.  I think it would remove or drastically reduce the slept outside debuff, but shouldn't give a mood boost - except maybe for certain colonist trait(s).

FMJ Penguin

Although I'd have zero use for Tents or Igloos....., It would be nice to see the visitors use them or at the very least a campfire and sleeping bags instead of passing out in a bush or next to some dead body somewhere. They fall over and zzzz literally everywhere and not even near each other just random madness, like a bunch of drunken teens on prom night. Oh don't get me wrong it's worth a few laughs at times but kinda kills the mood  ::)
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"