Modders standard for definition naming

Started by skullywag, August 19, 2015, 07:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Hi all,

Ive seen a few conflicts starting to pop up in mods recently in regards to defnames, this is more of a query than me defining a rule but do people think its worth using something like moddername_defname when making new defs to avoid this in future especially with more and more modders joining the ranks.

I for one am gonna update all my mods to do it when A12 drops so all my mods will never conflict in terms of defname.

Thought?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Alistaire

How about working your Ludeon forums user number into that?

skullywag

eeh not sure having 36837 in there is really needed, there arent going to be many people with the same user/screen name out there, remember not all modders are forum members.

JuliaEllie

While having a standard is not a bad idea per se I still see a few problems coming up. HOW do we enforce the standard would be the first that comes into mind.

skullywag

simply via education, if a mod conflicts...we tell the author of this standard, its a choice thing, nobodies enforcing it, im just advising I will be doing this, if other modders want to follow suit its their choice.

Also I do love that xkcd comic even if it does come up EVERYTIME this subject does...lol

Shinzy

Oh I've been slapping "Modnamello_Petnameforobject"
on almost everydef I make *almost*

gna have to hunt down the rest of the generic defnames in A12 when I'm about to do some major rearrangements :P

I hadn't encountered any mods which have def conflicts yet, but I can see it happening.

For reference, the next release of CCL defines the following defs:
  • AdvancedResearchDef
  • HelpCategoryDef
  • HelpDef
  • ModHelperDef
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.