What if apparel influenced comfort ?

Started by b0rsuk, August 20, 2015, 04:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

The kind of clothes you wear influences comfort. In Rimworld, power armor, helmets and armor vests might reduce it. Clothes made of tough leathers like iguana, rhino, elephant may have high resistance, but low comfort.

By the way, I have issues with colonists automatically choosing apparel for themselves. Protection (sharp, blunt) is a low, low priority for them. I had a colonist drop normal armor vest (50% hp, 47% sharp resistance) for a shoddy one (66% hp, 40% sharp resistance). Presumably because it was not frayed.

There is no way I can think of to make colonists prioritize something in their apparel. For example, I may want one person to wear apparel with maximum possible Sharp resistance because he's a soldier. Another person, a worker, should prioritize cold resistance. I wonder what will they choose - a frayed alpaca jacket with awesome cold resistance, or nice and pretty new cloth jacket ?

I still think "market price" slider was a nice idea, Tynan. Because that's what I want in my stockpile to sell. That's what I DON'T want in my stockpile to smelt. I have to make a separate stockpile or equipment rack for very important items like sniper rifles, personal shields, rocket launchers, armors. An armor vest held together by duct tape is better than no vest.
Item effectiveness dropping with HP makes stockpile and apparel maintenance unpleasant.

The13thRonin

Tagasaki

isn't there's a modifier in the outfit tab that shows the durability and the quality? but i presume that you meant a colonist should know better to get something better to wear and in good health but not a lesser but just as good health.

Toggle

Colonists automatically choose the better condition, so 66% hp shoddy is better then the 50% hp normal. Yeah, they don't focus on protection or resistance I think. It's because you also know if it's too frayed, they get debuffs, they become negative. I think having comfort bring into this would make it too complicated and annoying to manage.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Thorbane

I would love a weighting system for apparel.  Setup the weights for various aspects in the outfit settings and the colonist wears whatever piece scores highest.

re1wind

I support this idea, but the wearing frayed apparel debuff needs some tweaking.

- Limited repair functionality where the item can be slowly repaired to 50-80% depending on item, skill, etc. chance for the item to be destroyed
- Pawns start to get attached to their clothes, and the frayed debuff looses effectiveness over time.
-pawns learn to maintain their own clothing. higher crafting and attachement increases the minimum state.
-I wouldn't want to wear unwashed pants ripped off of a dead raider no matter what the quality or state, unless there was literally no other option.

The "comfort" value of clothes would be dependent on the material, quality, and state, where various stuffed materials affect the final comfort value. muffalo hide may be a great insulator, but its not the most malleable or comfortable. synthread is fairly average, but it has the highest comfort multiplier. etc.

wearing leather pants, a kevlar helmet, a tortoise hide jacket, and chest armour isn't going to be comfortable no matter how you try to cut it, especially when trying to sleep while wearing all of that.

I'd also like to see the outfit section improved, at least with the ability to select various aspects as key, such as "best armour against sharp-type damage", "best heat tolerance", "best cold tolerance", "best social impact", "best clothes for moving fast", etc.  I always find it amusing when my colonists don't pick a duster and cowboy hat and subsequently get a heatstroke (from wearing muffalo gear).