Bees, Honey and Mead

Started by The13thRonin, August 20, 2015, 07:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The13thRonin

Animal husbandry needs BEES!

DNK

This thread is abuzz with good ideas!

skullywag

Ive been messing with bees for a while now but everytime i get anywhere i look up and im making something similar to forestry bees in minecraft.....its a drug...im serious, i have a problem...:(
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Toggle

Heh. Only problem with bees is you wouldn't see only a single one or a few, it would require it being a whole swarm of them together moving like one, or giant bees. Personally, an event where giant bees would appear on the map and make a nest and reproduce would be great, and you could harvest honey from it, which would be a pleasure item like beer. A backstory would be something like they were modified to grow in size and make giant nests to produce more honey, and they now colonize some worlds. Try not to mod to death skullywag.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Keychan

Oh boy, I can see it now.  Raiders come through a double walled colony.  Past the first wall is a grand forest.  They're confused but since there are buildings from the colony, they'll burn them first.  As they start razing the solar panels, they hear a yelp from one their men in the back, then another.  Swarms of yellow and black break each of the raiders' field of vision.  Then the buzzes, the nonstop buzzes of the bees are heard past the walls of the colony as the screams of the raiders are drowned out.

It would be pretty cool to have beekeeping as a another source of resources.  Honey can be used as a luxury product and also as materials for medicine.  Bees need flowers to create honey, growing flowering plants nearby hives could affect honey quality or production.  Probably have to create bee suits to prevent stings and such for this idea.

milon

The13thRonin

Quote from: Keychan on August 21, 2015, 02:04:41 PM
Oh boy, I can see it now.  Raiders come through a double walled colony.  Past the first wall is a grand forest.  They're confused but since there are buildings from the colony, they'll burn them first.  As they start razing the solar panels, they hear a yelp from one their men in the back, then another.  Swarms of yellow and black break each of the raiders' field of vision.  Then the buzzes, the nonstop buzzes of the bees are heard past the walls of the colony as the screams of the raiders are drowned out.

It would be pretty cool to have beekeeping as a another source of resources.  Honey can be used as a luxury product and also as materials for medicine.  Bees need flowers to create honey, growing flowering plants nearby hives could affect honey quality or production.  Probably have to create bee suits to prevent stings and such for this idea.

It'd give another reason to grow dandelions and roses.