My Take on the Crime Thing

Started by Codexehow, August 25, 2015, 12:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codexehow

I don't think a complex crime system is necissary. It would be a nightmare to code. Plus, it isn't really realistic. We're talking about a very small group of people just trying to get by. I think the way the game is coded works well already. People in that scenario are going to try to get along as best as possible. They need each other.

There are two exceptions: the psychopath and the person suffering a mental break.

Both of those mechanics are already in the game and they work well.

To introduce an element of naughty behavior, however, you could hard code certain crimes into the game.

Examples:

If the player has a dumping site JUST for food, a colonist near breaking could binge on said food. This would lower the mood of all other colonists. That way, the "crime" has an effect on the colony, but we stay within the established parameters of the game.

Another:

If the player has a dump specifically for weapons, a colonist with the "psychopath" trait could move the weapons to his own "stash." Same effect: everyone's mood goes down. (but in practice it would probably be better if all colonists were capable of this behavior in extreme circumstances)

Lots of "crimes" like these could be coded in. Someone who is suffering a break could slaughter a pet. It would be a huge hit to the pet's owner, but it would affect all other colonists too.

This would make managing mood all the more important.

As far as punishment, idk. I maintain that in the Rimworld scenario, they can't afford to embrace corporal punishment.

If you only have 1 doctor, for instance, it isn't realistic to put them to death, no matter what they do. That would be suicide.