Legal system?

Started by Drakon22, August 21, 2015, 07:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakon22

In a big colony ie 50+, there's bound to be crime. I would like it if we could make that a thing. Murder, and things of that nature. If you can arrest them, punish them, put them on trial, things like that, it'd be great.

The13thRonin

Quote from: Drakon22 on August 21, 2015, 07:36:39 PM
In a big colony ie 50+, there's bound to be crime. I would like it if we could make that a thing. Murder, and things of that nature. If you can arrest them, punish them, put them on trial, things like that, it'd be great.

YES, SO MUCH THIS!

I never build a prison. This would give a reason to build a prison.

If someone commits an offense and there is no prison they should be flogged mercilessly either injuring them severely or killing them.

Also there should be a 'mayor' of the colony. His or her mood could effect several things.

Toggle

Quote from: The13thRonin on August 21, 2015, 07:38:33 PM

What? Do you honestly never get any prisoners? How do you get any colonists... The only other method is joining events or buying slaves.

As for the legal system suggestion... There probably wouldn't really be crime.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Boston

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 21, 2015, 08:14:28 PM
Quote from: The13thRonin on August 21, 2015, 07:38:33 PM

What? Do you honestly never get any prisoners? How do you get any colonists... The only other method is joining events or buying slaves.

As for the legal system suggestion... There probably wouldn't really be crime.

Do you honestly think there wouldn't be crime? Throw a bunch of people from different social backgrounds together, in a frightening, stressful situation, and you don't think arguments or fights would break out? At best, you are ignorant.

My go-to real world equivalent is Jamestown. Settlers from the "gentry" and from the "working" classes did not get along. They murdered each other regularly, and the entire colony was a shit-heap until it was forcibly taken over by the Crown.

There would be plenty of crime, even if said "crimes" were just fist-fights from a result of frayed tempers and stressful living.

Toggle

Yeah, but you already have to fight giant raids of seiging pirates and mechanoids... I don't think having your colonists break out in a fist fight would be good during that. And that would happen, since you wouldn't be able to draft them during that, like when people go insane.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Play2Jens

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 22, 2015, 01:39:05 AM
Yeah, but you already have to fight giant raids of seiging pirates and mechanoids... I don't think having your colonists break out in a fist fight would be good during that. And that would happen, since you wouldn't be able to draft them during that, like when people go insane.

The storyteller would put these events in between raids. Not during, right before or right after one. This would also put a whole new perspective to the game. Colonists with certain traits would commit different crimes:
- A psychopath would murder someone in their sleep (but the storyteller would only put this event when you have a lot of colonists and would probably chose a newer gained colonists).
- A drunk would sometimes start making a mess after he went on a binge.
- A Brawler would sometimes pick a fight, but would stop after a few hits.

If you don't put them in jail for some time, they might do the crime again. If you lock them up, the chance of them committing a crime in the future will be much slimmer.

Donutking00

wildeaboutoscar

I thought there was a limit on how big the colony can get?

I've never managed to get further than 6 myself, is it possible t get to 50 without mods?

Mr.Cross

Everything is possible, some person on the forum said he got up to 150 colonists Provided pictures and everything. Tynan of course jumped right on it and asked about the frame rate.
Claims to know most things.

Alistaire

Currently very few things track ownership. Three exactly; beds, rooms and graves. Colonists would have to call dibs on stuff in their room or something to make this mechanic work, and I'm not sure if colonists leave stuff hanging around in their room anyways, but of course it's all relatively possible.

akiceabear

Quote from: wildeaboutoscar on August 23, 2015, 07:07:02 AM

I've gotten into the teens on vanilla, but I think much past that involves editing the story teller.

I thought there was a limit on how big the colony can get?

I've never managed to get further than 6 myself, is it possible t get to 50 without mods?

Florius

I support this idea, but only if I can have gallows! (Also usable on prisoner raiders ^^)

Codexehow

Too complex. A trial would be a coding nightmare.

I think the idea of a colony mayor has merit. You would have to be careful in who you select to be mayor as their personality could spill over onto everyone else. Could be interesting.

As to whether there would be crime in a small group like that, it really depends on how much they need each other. If there is a psychopath in the group they will attempt to manipulate everyone else, and that will cause all kinds of havoc. But otherwise, you might be surprised how "normal" people can get along if survival is on the line.

The person who doesn't contribute much is the one who has to watch out. But if everyone has a pivotal role to play, they're pretty safe.

That is unless food starts running out. Then all bets are off.

But in a scenario like what you have in RimWorld, people can't just be punitive for the sake of being punitive. If your only doctor kills a sexual competitor, are you really going to execute him? No, you won't.

Boston

Quote from: Codexehow on August 23, 2015, 04:14:37 PM
Too complex. A trial would be a coding nightmare.

I think the idea of a colony mayor has merit. You would have to be careful in who you select to be mayor as their personality could spill over onto everyone else. Could be interesting.

As to whether there would be crime in a small group like that, it really depends on how much they need each other. If there is a psychopath in the group they will attempt to manipulate everyone else, and that will cause all kinds of havoc. But otherwise, you might be surprised how "normal" people can get along if survival is on the line.

The person who doesn't contribute much is the one who has to watch out. But if everyone has a pivotal role to play, they're pretty safe.

That is unless food starts running out. Then all bets are off.

But in a scenario like what you have in RimWorld, people can't just be punitive for the sake of being punitive. If your only doctor kills a sexual competitor, are you really going to execute him? No, you won't.

No, you can't afford to execute him, but you can't just let him get way scot-free. What message does that say to the other colonists?

" If you aren't "important" enough, you can literally be murdered and the up-and-ups won't care"

Call for a general meeting, and call the doctor out for murdering another guy over a bit of strange, and make him wear something that signifies "I murdered someone in cold blood". Will it impact his work performance? No. Will it make a point to the other colonist that certain things won't be allowed? Yep

Two dudes get into a fistfight? Throw them into a cell for the night. The next time a fight breaks out, the parties involved are less likely to get physical, knowing they will get thrown in a cell if they do.

As for "stealing", just code in an "ownership" tab for everything around the colonists bed, up to the first door. I don't know about you, but I usually put things like weapons and spare clothing on a shelf in the colonists room (XXX's rifle, XXX's parka, etc). Someone else takes it, they get charged with stealing. Yadda yadda yadda

Even social groups that "owned" things in a such a fashion (like Native Americans) still had private belongings. They could also get downright nasty with punishments for crimes: social stigmatization ("don't talk to that guy, he stole from X/ murdered a guy for his beer"), reparations to the injured party, or even exile/execution.

Codexehow

That just isn't how it works, though.

If you have a group where only one person can cure disease and only one person can fix the machines, you really can't afford to piss either of them off.

It's a sucky situation to be in to be sure, but it's not as simplistic as you're making it out to be.

How can you throw them in a cell if they have vital work to do elsewhere in the colony? You can't. While you're playing judge and jury, a vital piece of machinery breaks down or someone dies because the doctor was being tarred and feathered. 

There is a reason that mankind didn't event a code of laws until *after* civilization was founded. For a civilization, you need to have so much food and security that people can A) multiply fruitfully and B) learn crafts (not farming)

The fewer people you have in your group, the more pivotal each becomes, and that allows for people to get away with some pretty gruesome behavior.

It is what it is.