Turret Defense in Rim World?

Started by TacoStorm, October 07, 2013, 04:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacoStorm

So I've been thinking about fun ways to potentially abuse Rimworld, and I've found a game mode that I've been enjoying recently. You basically place Solar Panels everywhere out in the open, and build batteries/auto-turrets around them. Connect them all via power cables and, theoretically, wherever raiders spawn you'll have usually have the upper hand on them.

But I wanted to try something else. It looks like raiders pick open areas away from your colony. So if that's true, you could leave one area open, and have all the raiders funnel down a pathway trying to take out your defenses at every step, not unlike a Turret Defense game. Has anybody tried it yet?

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

The problem is : turrets are as fragile are they are powerful. Packing turrets is already a bad move, and friendly fire is a real thing. Solar panels would explode, batteries alike, turrets would shut down, raiders would destroy most of your defenses.

I like how twisted the idea is, but in the current state it is not really efficient. That confirms that Tower Defense was botched from the start speaking of realism ;)

Zeiph

Sounds like one that already tested the idea :P

TacoStorm

Too fragile? Things would explode? Friendly fire? Challenge Accepted.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Tynan

Hypolite

enystrom8734

Now you just need more connections to help redundancy in the power :D
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Drabus

Yarkista

Quote from: TacoStorm on October 08, 2013, 12:00:41 AM
Too fragile? Things would explode? Friendly fire? Challenge Accepted.

Holy shit, that is some serious firepower.

Zeiph

and that, kids, is how you kill a Ty.

Tynan

Maybe I need to put a "kill mode" in the Storyteller that detects and murders people like you.

Semmy

Quote from: Tynan on October 08, 2013, 02:43:42 PM
Maybe I need to put a "kill mode" in the Storyteller that detects and murders people like you.

haha... Or let the storyteller make the game so hard it becomes unbeatable. and let the player think about what he is doing wrong
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

TacoStorm

Wait wait, seriously? I'm "playing the game wrong" because I'm going outside the bounds of what the game expects me to do.

That's not fair at all. My style of playing the game is just as valid as yours! I'm not asking for any fancy support! I'm the guy who plays Dominion/Settlers of Catan to make sure the one person loses no matter what, not to win the whole game. Is that so wrong?

enystrom8734

Quote from: TacoStorm on October 08, 2013, 05:32:38 PM
Wait wait, seriously? I'm "playing the game wrong" because I'm going outside the bounds of what the game expects me to do.

That's not fair at all. My style of playing the game is just as valid as yours! I'm not asking for any fancy support! I'm the guy who plays Dominion/Settlers of Catan to make sure the one person loses no matter what, not to win the whole game. Is that so wrong?

I do believe everyone is joking?
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734