[Mod request]: Tamable goo(slime)

Started by AllenWL, August 22, 2015, 05:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

When I heard talks of animal taming, I wondered about what animal I would like to have in my colony once A12 came around.
After posting it in the suggestions thread in reddit, I got a reply saying: "I think it'd make an awesome mod for A12's upcoming animal taming features." From Tynan.
Then A12 came around, so I decided I would put up a mod request.

The main idea was this:
Goo:
A moving blob of round, gelatinous, goo. About the size of a large dog. Feels rather like a waterbed. Rather comfortable to cuddle with. Nuzzles colonists somewhat frequently.
Very tricky to tame, and aggressive. Failed taming attempts or attacks have a high chance of causing it to attack back.
Very rare animal, only obtainable by select few methods such as exotic traders, rare events, and ancient cryptosleep pods.
It has no organs other then its body and a very high pain resistance. Highly resistant to all forms of damage except fire and explosives. High health. Very tricky to take down.
Extremely high melee attack speed and accuracy, but low damage.
High resistance to heat and cold, though slightly weaker to heat then cold.
Reproduces on its own, without a need for a partner. However, it takes a long time to do so.
Slightly slower than a average human being.
Cannot haul items or rescue colonists, as they are less-than-solid.
Omnivorous.
Can go longer without eating, but eats much more than the average animal.
Cannot scar, but can get effected.
Does not bleed.
When butchered, yields large amounts of 'meat', but no leather.

Other side-ideas I had where:
A 'core'. Basically the goo's brain. Unlike other brains, can heal from injury, but very slow to do so, and may scar. The goo dies when the core is destroyed.

Different types of goo, such as a ranged acid-spitting goo, slow armored goo that can haul and rescue, small fast-moving goos, etc.

Harvesting the goo for 'jelly' that gives a small mood boost when eaten.

Goo Poni

Goo Poni approves this mod idea. Though I would imagine that a goo that can project pseudopods to attack would have the ability to at least dumbly manipulate and move objects. Unless it's method of attack is just glomping things. Maybe all young goos (maybe call them slimes?) look the same with only differences in colouration, developing some ability or trait as they mature. Perhaps some will end up more dexterous, able to project tentacles and better manipulate items. Maybe some gain the ability to violently convulse and "spit" goop or acids at people (maybe code the goop to impede manipulation and movement to emulate being bogged down with goop). Maybe some just grow incredibly large, having extreme amounts of health and overall durability thanks to their size, producing more jelly and giving more meat when butchered. So for the longest time, they'll just be slimes or goos and will eventually develop into some type of adult that has a different name. Or maybe they don't develop a trait at all, in which case it just becomes a mature goo. And all goos can reproduce into all other types of goo so you never know what you're getting until several months later when it's fully grown.
I'd also make the suggestion that the butchering should just lead to massive amounts of the jelly product that you can otherwise skim off a live goo. And if possible, these should be very "dirty" creatures, leaving trails of slime all over the place, much like snails do.

EDIT:
This is probably the only topic for which I will make use of the "notify" button.

FridayBiology

you could borrow the sprite from "Secrets of Grindea" 's ice slime with animations?
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Goo Poni

I still wouldn't mind a whole assortment of slimes to play with and have the colony be fondled horribly by a psychic dominator wave of insane slimes. Ranged slimy fighting pets sounds like a fun thing to me.

AllenWL

Quote from: Dragoon on August 24, 2015, 11:24:06 PM
This mod https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15370.msg161912#msg161912 has slimes but I don't know if that is what your looking for.

Hmm, I might try it, but I dunno, it has next to no descriptions other then 'slimes come in two colors and are very tiny'.

Quote from: Goo Poni on August 23, 2015, 01:29:14 AM
Goo Poni approves this mod idea. Though I would imagine that a goo that can project pseudopods to attack would have the ability to at least dumbly manipulate and move objects. Unless it's method of attack is just glomping things. Maybe all young goos (maybe call them slimes?) look the same with only differences in colouration, developing some ability or trait as they mature. Perhaps some will end up more dexterous, able to project tentacles and better manipulate items. Maybe some gain the ability to violently convulse and "spit" goop or acids at people (maybe code the goop to impede manipulation and movement to emulate being bogged down with goop). Maybe some just grow incredibly large, having extreme amounts of health and overall durability thanks to their size, producing more jelly and giving more meat when butchered. So for the longest time, they'll just be slimes or goos and will eventually develop into some type of adult that has a different name. Or maybe they don't develop a trait at all, in which case it just becomes a mature goo. And all goos can reproduce into all other types of goo so you never know what you're getting until several months later when it's fully grown.
I'd also make the suggestion that the butchering should just lead to massive amounts of the jelly product that you can otherwise skim off a live goo. And if possible, these should be very "dirty" creatures, leaving trails of slime all over the place, much like snails do.
I figured (if they existed)they would be too soft to actually be able to move people or stuff around. Sure, they might be able to extend 'limbs' to capture prey and such, but moving people or lumps of metal won't really be feasible.
Difference in color would be cool, but when I think on it, I'm not so sure about different types. I think it might be too chaotic, and even if they mature really fast, you probably won't have time to really make use of the 'mutations'.
Though, I think it would be possible for goos to grow to very large sizes given enough time, making older goos much more valuable.

Also, when I thought of goos, instead of being slimy like snails, I thought of them more as gelatinous, rather than slimy(which is why I called them goos and not slimes). Kinda like large, firm blobs of jell-o. Cool and squishy, but not really wet and slimy.
But having them leave slime everywhere could be nice too. You won't want them in hospitals or bedrooms, and preferably not in the dining room or rec room either.

Toggle

AlienWL, have you thought about making your own Goo mod? The basic goo itself would be easy with xml, the stuff it does might have to be fudged a bit unless you want to go into C#.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

AllenWL

I have thought about making my own mod at times, but I have next to zero programming knowledge. Or whatever knowledge you need to make mods

Toggle

Copy pasting and just understanding the stuff is all that's necessary for xml. Try joining the rimworld slack https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14501.0 if you want some help, as it's easier explaining in a live chat.

AllenWL

Hmm, I suppose I could try...
Well, I'll poke around here and there and see what happens.
Ok, I think I know what I'd have to do(generally), but still no idea what xml files I should mess around with to make the thing work(or what some of the stuff actually do).

Goo Poni

Quote from: AllenWL on August 29, 2015, 10:16:56 AM

Also, when I thought of goos, instead of being slimy like snails, I thought of them more as gelatinous, rather than slimy(which is why I called them goos and not slimes). Kinda like large, firm blobs of jell-o. Cool and squishy, but not really wet and slimy.
But having them leave slime everywhere could be nice too. You won't want them in hospitals or bedrooms, and preferably not in the dining room or rec room either.

I really like slimes and goos but most tend not to differentiate between the two and just see it as one and the same, so for simplicity, I just talk about them as if they're the same as well. I mean, just go look up goo girls. You'll probably find images where they are half formed in a pool of slime while looking partially melted. That's the usual aesthetic. More slime than goo.

Toggle

Like I said the slack would help more, but you want to duplicate a Core/Defs/Pawnkind animal file, make a duplicate of another animal around the size in your own mod folder, do the same with Core/Defs/Thingdefs and race_animal file, that's a start.

Too-DAMN-Much

neat idea, it might also be cool to consider feeding as the main factor in which variant of slime is produced, i could see things like frozen for eating food kept cold that would increase damage resistance slightly but also make it vulnerable to fires and other heat sources of the like, maybe if you fed one mostly hops you could wind up with a slime with the ability to forcibly pacify a pawn even too.

FridayBiology

Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.