The Pet Thread

Started by Fernbhoy, August 22, 2015, 08:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Quote from: wildeaboutoscar on August 24, 2015, 01:57:15 PM
Is there a limit to how many animals you can have?

My pigs are breeding like wildfire but I don't want to kill/sell them yet.

No limit except your ability to care for/feed them.

Though I'll probably add some other limiting factors in future alphas (e.g. animal disease at large populations). But no, not now.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

wildeaboutoscar

Quote from: Tynan on August 24, 2015, 01:59:37 PM
Quote from: wildeaboutoscar on August 24, 2015, 01:57:15 PM
Is there a limit to how many animals you can have?

My pigs are breeding like wildfire but I don't want to kill/sell them yet.

No limit except your ability to care for/feed them.

Though I'll probably add some other limiting factors in future alphas (e.g. animal disease at large populations). But no, not now.

Oh ok cool. Now to create the planet of the pigs  8)

Fernbhoy

So i'm starting to understand the animals part of the alpha, however i got rid of my hay thinking it was useless so i have a bull and 2 alpaca's starving over winter.

The bull has collapsed and so i try to rescue it....... wouldn't you know, i can put it in a cryochamber

Cya in spring Bully :D

Imca

How do I feed dogs?

Like, will they just eat the meat out of my freezer or do they need something special since my selftamed rimwolf is kind of starving and I am unsure what to do.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Imca on August 25, 2015, 02:21:55 PM
How do I feed dogs?

Like, will they just eat the meat out of my freezer or do they need something special since my selftamed rimwolf is kind of starving and I am unsure what to do.

From another thread:
Quote from: Cimanyd on August 25, 2015, 01:42:17 PM
Animals eat food on their own. If they're not carnivores and there's grass outside, let them eat that and you won't have to feed them at all (except for training). Otherwise, allow the animals access to their food (store some food in their allowed area, or have their allowed area include the freezer).

If you have a warg (not other dogs), it's a carnivore and it has to eat raw meat. Allow it access to the freezer where you're storing the meat and it should eat it. (though I don't have a warg so I don't know exactly how it works)
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Panzer

Has anyone of you successfully bred boomrats? I got 2 females and 1 male, I ve kept them on a 2x2 square for at least 2 months now, but nothing happens..

And hats off to anyone who saw a thrumbo baby reach adulthood, even several hats off to you ;D

ssdg

Quote from: Cimanyd on August 25, 2015, 02:56:23 PM
Quote from: Imca on August 25, 2015, 02:21:55 PM
How do I feed dogs?

From another thread:
Quote from: Cimanyd on August 25, 2015, 01:42:17 PM
Animals eat food on their own. If they're not carnivores and there's grass outside, let them eat that and you won't have to feed them at all (except for training). Otherwise, allow the animals access to their food (store some food in their allowed area, or have their allowed area include the freezer).

If you have a warg (not other dogs), it's a carnivore and it has to eat raw meat. Allow it access to the freezer where you're storing the meat and it should eat it. (though I don't have a warg so I don't know exactly how it works)

Yep, exactly how it works

Idara

Does anyone have any idea how to stop my handlers stealing fertilised eggs to train other animals? I want to keep the eggs in the pen so they hatch, and I need my handlers to have access to the pen so they can care for the animals. I xcan't see any way to restrict what foods handlers use to train with - is there one?

Rahjital

Remove the home zone from the interior of the chicken pen. Eggs not laid in the home zone are forbidden by default, so your handlers won't be allowed to touch them.

Idara

Quote from: Rahjital on August 29, 2015, 10:28:19 AM
Remove the home zone from the interior of the chicken pen. Eggs not laid in the home zone are forbidden by default, so your handlers won't be allowed to touch them.

Brilliant - thanks :)

thehead

Quote from: MrBoomba on August 22, 2015, 08:33:57 PM
Quote from: Mr.Cross on August 22, 2015, 08:00:30 PM
Quote from: MrBoomba on August 22, 2015, 07:25:04 PM
Same thing happened to me, but sadly my handler died shortly before it showed up so, I decided to slaughter it and sell off it's horn and keep it's fur and meat for when I have a good crafter and cook.

Difficult to say really, it never retaliated because I had four sentry guns shoot it all at once. It isn't comparable to a mechanical centipede, but it is probably a little tougher than an elephant, or syther (maybe rhino too, haven't had to fight one yet though).

How easy was it to kill? I had one recently and just let it live in fear of getting pummeled from either taming it or trying to kill it,

(SPOILER)  I found it was easy to wait till they fall asleep. Then build a small wall around them.  Yep starvation.  Nice payoff with the horn and fur. NO dead colonist.  Sorry Tynan. :)

Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed

I started with a husky called White :D which is perfect because I love huskies! <3

He's a picky bugger though, I made him a nice steel bed but he refuses to sleep in it, and will only sleep on the spot on the floor that I designated. I don't know why I can't build him a wooden dog-box though, steel seems extravagant.

Edit: wait nevermind, it seems now I can build a wooden one.

Panzer

Boxes are only for small animals like puppies or chinchillas, your big husky just wont fit ;D the fur/leather bed for animals  will do the job though

Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed

Ahh that explains it, thank you! :D