[0.12.906] Sound failure

Started by Kaaven, August 22, 2015, 08:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaven

After some game-time (around an hour, maybe two) the sound in the game suddenly fails, making sounds as if my speakers were frying (very unpleasant thing, btw). The sound does not work after that, and the game needs to be closed and restarted.

It did happened to me in the previous alpha (11) too.

I did saw a post about it being possibly a Unity bug, but it never happened to me in much longer games in the older builds of the game, neither does that ever happen in other Unity games, like the Long Dark for example.

StorymasterQ

It's possible that it's a newer-version-Unity bug, so older alphas compiled with older Unity don't have this bug. As with other games, who knows what went into their sound programming?

For now, let's just wait for a Unity bugfix, and then a subsequent Alpha or hotfix to Rimworld. Then we'll see if it fixes things.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

fossphur

I can confirm I have just had the same thing happen 0.12.906 I had left the game running paused while doing other things and spent quite a while listening to pleasant cricket noises. I had the music turned down. It was still making cricket noises this morning from yesterday. Came back from work this afternoon and the sound levels in the mixer showed rimworld to be blasting out noise at max volume. I would say it was a soft roaring noise and wasn't as loud as the sound levels suggested. Quitting to the main menu resulted in a pop and a return to normal sound function.

Kaaven

Had this happen again, twice in four game sessions. Last one happened after less than 15 minutes of gameplay (in a large-ish colony of 8 pawns).

TLHeart

have had it happen on day 3 of the colony. pop, no sound, save colony, quit to main menu of game, load colony save, sound returns.

Happened again during a flash storm event, which the sound is way too loud on.

Tynan

It's this old bug. https://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=1001

Quote from: Kaaven on August 25, 2015, 12:07:00 PM
Had this happen again, twice in four game sessions. Last one happened after less than 15 minutes of gameplay (in a large-ish colony of 8 pawns).

15 minutes since startup, or 15 minutes in that particular map?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Kaaven

Quote from: Tynan on August 25, 2015, 03:01:29 PM
15 minutes since startup, or 15 minutes in that particular map?

Since I started the game. I turned the game on, loaded the save, dealt with a minor crisis in my colony and then the sound crash happened. All in all, it was maybe 10-15 minutes of gameplay.

Tynan

Ok thanks.

So it's not time-dependent. Not a memory leak or something.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog