Tortoise egg progress stuck at 50%

Started by Dartonian, August 22, 2015, 10:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dartonian

I don't know if it's just me, but the tortoises I'm trying to tame are stuck at 50% egg progress. I haven't tamed them yet, not sure if that matters

Tynan

They won't lay unless they're fertilized, and they won't mate unless they're tamed.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Falcon24

How do you get unfertilized eggs then? I noticed the stockpiles have a fertilized and unfertilized egg item. Can only chickens produce them? Thanks!

Tynan

Quote from: Falcon24 on August 23, 2015, 09:50:50 AM
How do you get unfertilized eggs then? I noticed the stockpiles have a fertilized and unfertilized egg item. Can only chickens produce them? Thanks!

Ah, that's a bug. There's no such thing as a real unfertilized tortoise or lizard or snake egg in the game.

Cimanyd

No bugs here.

Unless you count the check marks being farther left than they could be, making "Chicken egg (unfert.)" slightly too long to fit.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Tynan

Oh! Looks like I already handled this then :)

TLHeart

Quote from: Cimanyd on August 23, 2015, 01:58:29 PM

No bugs here.

Unless you count the check marks being farther left than they could be, making "Chicken egg (unfert.)" slightly too long to fit.

That is NOT in version 906.

TLHeart

Quote from: Tynan on August 23, 2015, 02:14:54 PM
Oh! Looks like I already handled this then :)

Maybe it is handled, but not available to the rest of us... as that is not in 906, released on 8/21.

added screenshot of what is available in my current game.

Tynan

Quote from: TLHeart on August 23, 2015, 03:44:35 PM
That is NOT in version 906.

Yes it is. Open the 'eggs' categories and you'll see exactly what Cim posted.

TLHeart

Dang those little arrows strike again.... did not see the expand option arrows.

LouisTBR

In real life you cannot get unfertilized reptile eggs. The only way for a tortoise to lay eggs if for her to have mated with a male, and will lay after 60-90 days (species dependant.) This is real life, btw. The female digs a flask-shaped nest, in which she deposits her eggs. She covers it and packs it down, to disguise it from predators. She can urinate and excrete in the nest, which the eggs absorb. This gives them the bacteria needed to survive in their habitats.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

zandadoum

i'd like to "necro" this thread because i am a bit confused. maybe there is even a bug?

i have had both male and female cobras in my colony for over 4 years straight (got them in 5501, until 5505) and the egg progress was stuck at 50% right since the start. i tried having both cobras together or let them roam at will. no difference.

whileas chickens work very well, anything else seems to be stuck at 50% no matter what.

i tried cobras in different biomes (my first attempt was in boreal forest, now in a jungle) and they just don't advance.

both tests the cobras were bought from a trader. i haven't tried taming the native cobras in the jungle biome yet, as they are very agressive and can kill my colonists when 3-4 cobras get angry suddenly. so i am still careful with that.

so, is there a possible bug or maybe you could elaborate on what conditions we have to meet in order to have our cobras and reptilian pets breed?

Toggle

Generally they require food and then they should naturally. And the bug was about there being unfert'd lizard eggs, and there wasn't.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

zandadoum

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 04, 2015, 11:31:35 PM
Generally they require food and then they should naturally. And the bug was about there being unfert'd lizard eggs, and there wasn't.
the bug was about all "reptilian" which includes cobras, lizards, tortoises (title of this post), etc.

i still don't know if there is a bug or not... my cobras are well fed, well maintained, in their natural habitat (jungle biome) and after 4 years the egg is still stuck at 50% and yes, i do have a male and female.

so, what (and how) does it take EXACTLY to have cobras and other reptiles to breed?

TLHeart

Quote from: zandadoum on September 05, 2015, 04:07:00 AM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 04, 2015, 11:31:35 PM
the bug was about all "reptilian" which includes cobras, lizards, tortoises (title of this post), etc.

i still don't know if there is a bug or not... my cobras are well fed, well maintained, in their natural habitat (jungle biome) and after 4 years the egg is still stuck at 50% and yes, i do have a male and female.

so, what (and how) does it take EXACTLY to have cobras and other reptiles to breed?

you get a 5% chance per day per pairing couple to breed.  So with just one male and one female you get a 1 in 20 chance per day. That does not mean it will happen once every 20 days. It may never happen, as the 5% chance is a daily event.

Do your snakes have sleeping quarters where they are together every day?  Breeding depends on close proximity to each other, not just wandering around the biome.