How did you find out about Rimworld? Now a poll.

Started by Toggle, August 23, 2015, 03:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How did you find out about Rimworld?

Streamer/Youtuber
133 (59.9%)
Real-life word of mouth (friends/family/etc)
16 (7.2%)
Forum/Reddit post
23 (10.4%)
Gaming website (review/news/blog)
18 (8.1%)
Kickstarter (directly, not externally linked)
29 (13.1%)
Internet search (Something like 'games like Dwarf Fortress' or 'sci fi colony sim')
28 (12.6%)
Other (comment on how you found out)
7 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 222

Toggle

After the forum post asking people how they found the website, I thought I'd create a poll and ask how you found it. Original one is here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15249 .
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Stonn

I got interested when CGPGrey said that he plays it. He uploaded a gameplay of his and it looked like something I would like as well. He is a youtuber (former teacher) making educational and entertaining videos. His most popular:
The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained
He also has a podcast with Brady Haran (Numberphile, Sixty Symbols etc) called Hello Internet.
Both are good friends with Derek Muller (Veritasium), Destin Sandlin (SmarterEveryDay) and Henry Reich (MinutePhysics, MinuteEarth). I really hope one of those rings a bell.

tl;dr: Heard from a YouTuber on a podcast.

Tynan

I've edited the poll, because I'm interested, to separate gaming website and forum post. These are very different things!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

harpo99999

kicked the starter, and have enjoyed ever since

laston

A very obvious option should have been kickstarter..... which I backed

Tynan

Ok, I've refined the poll and reset the results. Please re-vote.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Noobshock

I don't even remember anymore, all I know is what caught my attention was the pawns shooting at each other from cover etc in the trailer, basically the combat system and relatively large scale / complex firefights the game was able to handle for a DF-type simulation.

mokonasakura

Was watching one of my youtubers play simcity or such and got bored so tried watching one of their other videos and got hooked.

Jaxxa

I think for me I was a Reddit post that linked to a Youtube video. So I said Other and Streamer/Youtuber.

Edit: updated vote for new options.

isistoy

Baaam! Ok, what an influence... So far, on a very small number of votes... And only with people looking around on forum as well...
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

Toggle

Quote from: Tynan on August 23, 2015, 07:00:37 PM
Ok, I've refined the poll and reset the results. Please re-vote.

Thanks, I was trying to think of the best options I could.

Also personally, I found out from another family member who games. Saw it, thought it was awesome, watched a youtuber, played the game.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

JesterBlue

I believe I was watching some Youtube about Prison Architect and then do a Search for "Game like Dwarf Fortress". I've been a Dwarf for ages but take a break and the clip revive my interest in that genre.

Calahan

I discovered Rimworld from one of the answers given to a "Are there any other games like this?" type of question. But I do not remember if this was a thread on a general gaming/discussion forum (not Reedit though as I have never used that site once), or a post that I read in the comments section to an article/review etc. on a dedicated gaming website. So I voted twice ("forum" and "gaming website") to reflect this.

RX2000

I discovered Rimworld on Arumba's Youtube channel. I'm a long time subscriber of his & after watching him play Rimworld back when it was in Alpha 7 I thought it looked cool & I finally bought it a little while ago when Alpha 11 came out.

BoogieMan

I read about it on some random post at the escapistmagazine.com gaming forum and I'm glad that I did.

Every time an opportunity presents itself, I return the favor by mentioning this game to others.