mechanoids way to OP and more and more OP in every single patch?

Started by zandadoum, August 23, 2015, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locklave

Quote from: Veneke on August 26, 2015, 03:37:38 AM

You should probably read this page, and the end of the preceeding page. It's the fact that dealing with mechanoids requires this level of micromanagement, which is far above and beyond what any other threat in the game requires, that is leading to the conclusion that mechanoids are OP.

And yes, it is an exploit of AI mechanics.

This 100 times yes. It ruins the experience for me. I don't want to win with exploits.

Quote from: darkwing88 on August 26, 2015, 11:04:03 AM
Any mod to disable mechanoids? I like challenge but they just feel unbalanced p/not fun on randy random. This is only storyteller i like to play. Mech kills game for me :( got no time to restart 10 times and get wiped 6 hours into eqch playthrough even before i start doing anything substantial.

I'd like this mod also, exactly the same reasons in fact.

Codexehow

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you are playing a random story teller and then getting mad because the game is random.

When I play RR, I expect to lose at some point, and probably sooner rather than later.

VonMourn

Quote from: Codexehow on August 26, 2015, 11:49:48 AM
I hate to say it, but it sounds like you are playing a random story teller and then getting mad because the game is random.

When I play RR, I expect to lose at some point, and probably sooner rather than later.

Exact same thing happened to me on Cassandra Rough in Sept of the first year, as I documented with the screenshots above. I normally play Cassandra Extreme with mods. This is not a case of learn to play, Mechs are legitimately way tougher and arrive more frequently and earlier even on easier settings and not just on RR.

Elixiar

Quote from: zandadoum on August 23, 2015, 07:21:34 PM
Quote from: Elixiar on August 23, 2015, 07:12:11 PM
Sigh.

Mechanoids are not OP.
Some people just don't know how to fight them/ can't accept they are superior alien forces yet.

That is all.
please enlighten me... how do you fight 3 poison ships (3 mechs each, if opened) + 1 evil ship (7 mechs if opened) right after a toxic fallout, when only 6 month into the game, your only weapons are a sniper rifle and a shotgun, you only have 5 colonists and a warg, barely any cover due trees dying in the fallout... and all this BEFORE the evil ship drives your colonists crazy?

but as said, never mind the evil ships. never mind alpha 12. never mind early game.
my gripe with mechanoids comes a long way, even in previous alphas.

late game, 10 years into it. 40 colonists well geared, happy, etc. base with defenses both outside and inside.
mechanoid raid right on top of my base. around 20 scythers, 15ish big guys. half of those with inferno launchers.
EMP grenades? riiiight. their rocket launchers have like 3x the range of grenades.
(emp) mortars? i did mention, they dropped right on top of us, right?

and i could go on and on and on...

every single time someone came with a late game screenshot on how he "easily" destroyed gazillions of mechanoids, every single time they had mods on like the one with huge shield dome over your base, improved turrets and guns and whatnot.

If they kill you so what. That's the nature of the game.
Regarding late game I consider it doing well at 3 years in. 10 years? Colony has been around long enough, lower difficulty if you don't want tranquility lane to end!
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

zandadoum

Quote from: Elixiar on August 26, 2015, 12:49:57 PM
If they kill you so what. That's the nature of the game.
Regarding late game I consider it doing well at 3 years in. 10 years? Colony has been around long enough, lower difficulty if you don't want tranquility lane to end!
you might want to read alpha12b patch notes and previous pages of this very post and you'll learn that
1) you're wrong
2) many people complained about the same thing, on all storytellers and difficulties
3) it has been adressed by Tynan in alpha12b so evil ship events happen less during early game
4) moving on...

windruf

Quote from: Tynan on August 23, 2015, 05:58:13 PM
Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll have to review the poison ship balance. It may be too hard - or it may be ok. You are on Randy Extreme. Not really supposed to be that survivable.

problem with poison ships is, that letter shows you one of them the other you have to find yourself (if you know that there are more of them)
maybe you can put a reminder on the right for more or less important things like raids, sieges, traders...

ssdg

Quote from: VonMourn on August 26, 2015, 11:57:34 AM
Quote from: Codexehow on August 26, 2015, 11:49:48 AM

Exact same thing happened to me on Cassandra Rough in Sept of the first year, as I documented with the screenshots above. I normally play Cassandra Extreme with mods. This is not a case of learn to play, Mechs are legitimately way tougher and arrive more frequently and earlier even on easier settings and not just on RR.

I think on RR, it's ok to throw anything at us. Yep, you get volcanic winter, toxic fallout, solar flare and mech, then manhunter pack shows up while you fighting mechs outside.
If you were to ever escape, you tell the tales of how lucky you were.

On Cassandra, NO, you need to wait a bit.

Mrshilka

Biggest issue with Mechanoids and one that mods solve so they feel more balanced it is the woeful defensive options the vanilla game gives you, among other things.

I got this minigun! but for some reason I never get the idea of putting it on a turret or maybe 2 of them. or assault rifles or basically anything else.
I researched how to harness geothermal power!, but I have no idea how to make a basic fuse.
I have no idea how to build foxholes or trenches or hardened defensive structures like bunkers and embrasures but I can build a starship that can travel between the stars.

FMJ Penguin

Totally off topic but yeah those make-shift turrets with any guns that you man yourself are just an awesome idea. Fit so well into the premises too. Helps your dudes that can't shoot or won't shoot at least be able to do something... love em. Still don't use them though, or any weapon mods for that matter. Too worried bout balance there is so I'll leave weapons up to Tynan and his crew. Least I can just blame it on them if it breaks the fun then hahahaha
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

b0rsuk

I'd rather get the charge blaster and mount it on a turret.

kahlzun

Personally, I feel that the mechanoids are difficult, but about right.

It is good to have an enemy you fear to come, one which you must fight him on his terrain, away from your familiar ground with your turrets and your walls.
Or you can set fire to them and kill them with this (disclosure: unsure if it works in a12)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzA-6OrLPas
Look for me on the KSP forums!
Rimworld. The game where getting a cannibal psychopath with bloodlust is a good thing.

zandadoum

Quote from: kahlzun on August 27, 2015, 11:22:29 AM

It is good to have an enemy you fear to come, one which you must fight him on his terrain, away from your familiar ground with your turrets and your walls.
Or you can set fire to them and kill them with this (disclosure: unsure if it works in a12)
And what when a mech raid drops on top of your base?

TLHeart

yes it still works it A12, along with build a tight wall and use a frag grenade.

TLHeart

Quote from: zandadoum on August 27, 2015, 11:44:29 AM

So easy to kill when they drop INTO your base, hide inside, they will make their way to the turrets to die. And I can take shots at them while they move from the doorways, flank them, confuse them, oh so easy to take down any raid that drops into the base, as that is my strong hold.

zandadoum

Quote from: TLHeart on August 27, 2015, 12:09:47 PM
Quote from: zandadoum on August 27, 2015, 11:44:29 AM

So easy to kill when they drop INTO your base, hide inside, they will make their way to the turrets to die. And I can take shots at them while they move from the doorways, flank them, confuse them, oh so easy to take down any raid that drops into the base, as that is my strong hold.

seems like your experience is quite different from mine. granted, i only use to get drops "into" my base late game, but when that happens, the first thing they do is shoot a few inferno cannons around, setting everything on fire (i still build some stuff in wood as i think it looks nicer than granite or steel stuff for example)
second thing they do, is kill every single pet that happens to be closeby
third thing they do is one shot everyone that dares to peak out of a door.

and i have never happened them to go for the turrets first. always go for the colonists or whatnot. remember, i said INSIDE YOUR BASE. as in: the freaking bedrooms. take into account that not every player likes to dig into a mountain, some prefer to build stuff "outside" and there they can drop through any constructed roof.

now, you get to year 3-5. maybe 30+ colonists. mech raids are huge. and if they get that close, it's basically game over with absolutely NO chance of survival. if you manage to keep a few guys alive, you won't survive much longer afterwards. and mechs don't give up, like raiders do.
makes me feel like the SNES Jurassic Park game... you played (and enjoyed) the game and then suddenly you are done and all you get is a disapointing stupid black screen with a text saying "congratulations" xD