[W | 0.12.906] Manhunter pack unrealistic vulnerable when sleeping.

Started by Mihsan, August 23, 2015, 06:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mihsan

- What the circumstances were:
I get huge pack of manhunters event (tested with wargs and boars). I get inside of my base and wait for pack to go asleep.

- What happened:
I get out and shot manhunters one by one. Only the damaged animal wakes up. Others are ignoring anything, what is happening (colonists runing around, firing noise, wounded animal noise?). Super easy way to get tones of meat.

-What you expected to happen:
I expected all pack to wake up and attack me. Just another way to die.

-How we can reproduce the bug. This part is important!
Attack sleeping manhunter pack.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Play2Jens

Would it be possible to make a code concerning group behavior? If one wakes up, all the other would wake up?

Coenmcj

Quote from: Play2Jens on August 23, 2015, 08:39:36 PM
Would it be possible to make a code concerning group behavior? If one wakes up, all the other would wake up?

Like the equivalent of the whole angry critter being hunted event? Where you shoot one, and the herd stampedes.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mihsan

IMO it should be individual behavior. Shoting gun closer than X meters from sleeping animal: it wakes up.

Because group members could be too far away from each other for this to make sense.

b0rsuk

I'm impressed the animal even waked up! When I normally hunt with a survival rifle, animals are still asleep when shot.

Jinxed

Quote from: Mihsan on August 23, 2015, 09:36:20 PM

IMO it should be individual behavior. Shoting gun closer than X meters from sleeping animal: it wakes up.

Because group members could be too far away from each other for this to make sense.

Groupmember wakes up
If another groupmember in range of 20 tiles -> He wakes up.

Here, fixed.

Play2Jens

Quote from: Mihsan on August 23, 2015, 09:36:20 PM

Yeah, adding some sort of hearing intelligence into the game is a future must for the game. I guess it's kind of complicated to program.

But yeah, imagine yourself attacking sleeping raiders at night, only equipped with silenced shotguns or snipers.

Jinxed

Quote from: Play2Jens on August 25, 2015, 05:33:16 PM

Yeah, adding some sort of hearing intelligence into the game is a future must for the game. I guess it's kind of complicated to program.

If created noise -> travel noise by x tiles.
If noise dampening objects encountered during travel -> stop noise travel
If noise reaches NPC -> NPC reacts.

Thats pretty much all about it.

Mihsan

Quote from: Jinxed on August 25, 2015, 07:54:29 PMThats pretty much all about it.

Some details: there is also health stat, which is hearing. And also some creatures have better hearing, than the others.

Jinxed

Valid point.
If created noise -> travel noise by X tiles with Z of initial loudness
By each travelled tile -> decrease the loudness by set value
If noise dampening objects encountered during travel -> dampen the loudness by Y
If loudness of noise >= hearing ability of NPC to which noise arrived -> NPC reacts to noise

Tynan

Basic case is handled for A12b. Pawns now wake when harmed.

For group waking, I'll have to evaluate whether/how to do that later.

Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog