optimal temperature regulation in colony

Started by tommonius, August 23, 2015, 07:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommonius

Fellow Rimmers lend me your ears. I started my first colonny on the new alpha 12 and was caught out by no less than 12 heat waves one after the other.

I decided to make cooling units to keep my food from spoiling and then turned my eyes towards decking out every room with a cooler as the heatwaves just kept coming back to screw me over and it occured to me that the storyteller delighted in punishing me with heatstroke.

I really think the heat the coolers produce could be useful, so adding hot air to the rooms for my colonists is the desired result but what is the best way to make use of the heat the coolers produce?

A sort of hot corridor surrounding my bedrooms and living area as a hot room that my enemies must make their way through? or is their a room that would benefit from being hot all the time?

Should I just vent the heat out into the wild? your thoughts please.

Holgast

Heat isn't super useful unless you get a cold snap or are living in a cold biome (which I assume you aren't). You could make a hot trap corridor (would work great with the new 'allowed areas' mechanic), but I think you'd need a lot of heat going into a single space to see results.

Coenmcj

Rooms deep in a mountain (In my experience atleast) tend to get rather cold, so push a 1 cell wide hallway with no doorways connected to your freezer and link it up with vents connected to any rooms deeper within your base, great for heating during those summer nights. :)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite